*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488954-Hope-and-Love
Rated: · Other · Romance/Love · #1488954
A young man lost in the Arctic, trying to find help for a failed expedition
Hope and Love

Through the howling winds he walks, a vast landscape, ice beneath his feet.

For a moment his eyes close, the cold and piercing wind, too much to bear.

His mind goes back less than a year to his homeland.
Green fields with flowers in abundance. The Church at the top of the hill. His local village where he grew up.

His sweetheart, goes cycling past him, she is on her way to a piano lesson. He mails a letter to a man in London about wanting to join this expedition, dated 15th Sept, 1938.

His eyes open – the image is lost, and so sadly it appears he is too.

Fear sets in, almost stopping him in his tracks.
An hour ago he set off for help, leaving 5 men behind, but only 2 alive.

The Expedition, a trip of a lifetime, but now 3 lives it has cost.

He closes his eyes again. The young lady is still cycling. She is now almost out of sight, as she makes her way through the main street.

He will use this image to add more fuel to his fire, warmth to his face and hands.

He knows deep down the odds aren’t in his favour.
But while he can still walk, there is hope.

Hope and Love.

© Copyright 2008 Jay Poulson (jaypoulson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1488954-Hope-and-Love