*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489113-Raven-Man
by Yacob
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #1489113
Entry for Flash Fiction Contest 10/27/08
The day of my return has finally come.

After nearly ten years of dreaded imprisonment, I am ready to put my mask back on and finish what I started. As I don the legendary Garbs, boots polished, wings preened, and the mask, though dusty, just as brave and glorious as ever, He who dazzles both man and bird alike has returned!

I am…Raven Man!

***


As I stand at the gates of the farm, I eye my enemy with caution….

The Scarecrow.

A vile, demonic being, it was, striking fear even into the strongest birds. But not I! Not Raven Man! The quiet farm to which it took its lair is surrounded by a fairly-sized metal fence. I try opening the gate, but, alas, it’s locked. I need to find a way to open this gate.

It was then, however, that I saw the old farmer napping on his front porch. Taking my chance, I climbed over the fence and tiptoed over toward his position. There was a ring of keys on his lap; one of them must be for the gate! It was going to be a stealth mission, so I need the help of my avian allies. I let out the loudest "Ca-Caaaaw!" my lungs could process, calling any bird worthy to aid me.

To no avail, my cry only awakens the farmer. Panicking, I pick up a rock and throw it at the farmer’s head, knocking him out. I run over, swipe his keys, jump back over the fence, and unlock the gate! Now nothing stands in my way to destroy the Enemy of All Avians!

I charge head-on into the straw-bodied beast, but what’s this? Rain coming down! No! He has discovered my weakness! No! I’m melting! Melting…!

Perhaps…escaping that asylum wasn’t really a good idea….

[300 words]



© Copyright 2008 Yacob (alex333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489113-Raven-Man