*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489665-Lovers-Captured
by Jen
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Detective · #1489665
A short short about a pair of lovers getting caught.
The pub has an intimate feel – dimly lit, hidden corners and soft bluesy music floats through the air – a perfect place for lovers and shady business deals.  I sit on a hard stool at the corner of the bar; to my left I have a good view of the booths in the back and their hidden patrons. 

                In one of those back booths, a pretty, petite brunette and good-looking, athletically built man hold each other close.  He wears a gray, polyester business suit like a sleazy sales man peddling his overpriced wares to an unsuspecting customer.  The smile on her lips reflects she is in a buying mood.  He places her hand on his chest, 'how my heart beats for you', I imagine him saying.  He pulls her tighter into their intimate embrace, and gently presses his lips to hers.  My camera has been ready and waiting for this moment.  I raise it quickly, peer through the eyehole, press the button, and capture their lustful conspiracy forever.  No one pays them no mind; they are just another pair of lovers, except to me.

         I know them.  Or I should say I have grown to know them over the last few weeks.  I know their names, their occupations, even how they met, but yet to me, at the end of the day they mean nothing but a paycheck.  I put my camera back down on my lap, and call the bartender over to fill up the coffee cup sitting in front of me on the bar. 

                I look back at the woman, and admire her now familiar, yet unapologetic pretty face, and make a mental note: her husband will be expecting to meet with me as soon as he arrives in town tomorrow. 

              Until then they can go on thinking their secrets are safe.  She thinks her husband is clueless, and maybe she’s even toying with the idea of leaving him for her lover, whom I know is hoping that this doll won’t find out about the other one he has on the other side of town. 



© Copyright 2008 Jen (c1evergir1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1489665-Lovers-Captured