*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490562-Sights-and-smells
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kate
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1490562
The first chapter to the first story based in the "Lone Hilltop Trees" universe.
I might as well explain what the Lone Hilltop Trees are. In every world there is a tree on top of a hill all by itself, hence Lone Hilltop Trees (LHT). But the thing is, in the middle of the tree there will be a portal, usually invisible, that will take you to another tree. But if you go back through that portal, it will take you to a different tree than the one you started with. So basically, they're only one way trees.
This story is about Kayline (Kay leen) and her adventure with the LHT. It started after her first day in a new school. Her and her mother had moved to Christon after her fathers death due to a fatal disease. I like to write in first person, so here goes...


I walked out the big glass doors and sighed with relief. The day hadn't gone too bad. I hadn't done anything really embarrassing other that dropping a pencil. I had even made some new friends, sort of...
I loved walking, so I enjoyed the short walk home. The weather was beautiful, almost too beautiful. I had heard the weather here was always horrible, but today was seventy-two degrees with a light warm breeze. I breathed deep the scent of roses as I walked past a rather cute little house with the red flowers growing on a white fence around it. But I was soon past the only pretty house in the neighborhood and standing before the dull gray-brick house that my mother had found. I hated it here, but I was glad to be out of the old house where all the painful memories were. And I wasn't going to show my mother that I was unhappy after her hours of searching for a place low enough for us to afford. So, I put on a light expression and walked in the door. I could hear voices coming from the other room, so I quietly slipped upstairs and changed out of the rather risque uniforms the school made us wear.
"Hey mom!" I said as I walked into the living room.
"Hey honey! how was school? This is Mrs. Bell. She lives in the house with the roses and the white fence."
"Oh! Hello! It's nice to meet you! You have such a beautiful house, I couldn't help but stop to smell the roses!"
"Ohohoho, well you stop anytime you want and come in for some tea and apple pie." Oh man! I thought. This woman is your typical sweet old lady! Apple pie, roses, white picket fence!?! And her laugh was too cute! She even had that smell that made you relax and smile.
"I definitely will!"
"Oh good! For some reason, the children around here think I'm some kind of witch! I don''t understand it. I didn't think I was that mean..."
"I'm sure you're not Mrs. Bell! They're just too wrapped up in being cool to spend time with a kind lady like you!" She laughed again before rising.
"Well, it was nice meeting you Kayline! Please do visit me some time. Your mother has told me all about you, and I would love to have you over!"
"I would be happy to!" I gently closed the door behind her before escaping upstairs to my book. I couldn't wait till tomorrow when I would visit with Mrs. Bell. To be inside that house? I could barely concentrate on my book I was so excited...


Hope you liked the first part. I don't have time right now to write more, which is why I wrote so little. But I will be out with another chapter soon! Please rate and review!
© Copyright 2008 Kate (7godchild7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490562-Sights-and-smells