*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490699-Mary-Tootles
by Ray G
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1490699
Mary is eager to show the new girl around the school until . . .
"It's time to get up," she heard her mother say.

Mary pulled the covers over her head and pretended it was still dark outside. She pretended it wasn't really time for her to get up. Miss Maple told them a new student would join the class today and she chose Mary to show the new student around the school. Mary didn’t sleep wondering what the new girl is like. What color is her hair? Would the kids call her Freckle Face too?

Through the covers she felt Tabitha, her cat, walking on her. After a few minutes she forced herself out of bed. Tabitha followed quickly as Mary walked toward the kitchen with her eyes still half closed. Mary's cat had been eating a lot more than usual, but Mary figured it was because any day now Tabitha would have kittens.

Mary sat at the table with her eyes closed listening to the crunching sounds she and Tabitha made as they ate.

"Hurry or you'll be late for school," her mother reminded her from the other room.

Mary noticed how brushing her teeth didn’t take nearly as long since she lost her two front teeth. After she scrubbed and dried her face, she looked to see if any of the hundreds of freckles that dotted her face had rubbed off. They were all there just as they always were. She hated them. She wished she could be pretty like Priscilla. Priscilla had lots of friends. Maybe the new girl would be Mary's friend.

As Mary walked onto the schoolyard Priscilla and her friends yelled at her.

"Freckle Face! Freckle Face! You got any freckles you can spare? Ha! Ha! Ha!"

"Her name isn't Freckle Face. It's Olive Oyl! Can't you see her toothpick legs?"

Mary smiled and looked at them through watery eyes.

She saw Billy pushing the merry-go-round. He always wore the same red baseball cap. As he pushed it faster and faster the girls began to scream. Every so often a girl flew by because she couldn’t hold on. He laughed until his eyes were filled with tears. Mary walked up to him.

"Guess what," she began.

"You wanna ride on the merry-go-round?" he asked trying to catch his breath.

She ignored his question.

"We're getting a new girl in our class and I get to show her around the school."

"I promise I won't push it so fast. Wanna ride?" he asked again.

She remembered her first and last ride on the merry-go-round. She bounced on the sand and turned three somersaults. Somewhere along the way she picked up a mouthful of sand. She still remembered how Billy laughed.

RRRiiiiiinnngggg!!!!!!!!!!!

"It's time to go in!"

Billy ran inside and left the kids spinning on the merry-go-round. The bigger kids jumped off and tried to stop running before they ran into a tree. The smaller kids stayed on until it slowed down enough for them to jump off. They ran like their pants were on fire to keep from being late. Billy enjoyed watching the dizzy little kids trying to run in a straight line.

"I'll be right back, class," Miss Maple said. "I'm going to the office to get our new student."

Mary's hands began to shake. Would the new girl like her? Would the new girl want to be Mary’s friend?

"I think you're going to like it here," Miss Maple said as she led the new student into the room.

Everyone's mouth dropped open. Mary winced when she saw the new girl's left arm.

"Class," Miss Maple began. "This is Laurie, our new student. She's from California. I'm sure you'll help make her feel welcomed. Who did I ask to show Laurie around the school?"

Mary felt her face get hot. All of a sudden she didn't want to show the new girl around the school. She was sure all the kids would stare at them. Should she stay quiet? Maybe Miss Maple would forget and ask someone else.

"I know I asked someone to do it. Who was it?"

Mary saw Billy smiling his wicked smile at her.

"Billy is such a rat," she thought.

She finally said softly, "I think I'm the one, Miss Maple."

"Mary, why didn't you speak up, dear?"

"I . . . . I don't know, Miss Maple."

"You can sit in the chair next to Mary," she told Laurie.

Mary smiled at the new girl as she walked to her desk.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hello," Laurie answered as she sat down.

RRRRiinnnnnnggggg!

Lunch at last.

As they ate their lunch, Laurie's eyes sparkled as she talked about California and the beaches. Mary envied her because she actually saw a movie star. She waited for everyone to come rushing to meet the new girl, but no one came.

During recess she watched the kids huddled together in small groups.

Every so often one of them turned and looked at her and Laurie, but no one came.

RRRRRRRiiiiiiiiinnnnggggggg!!

What a relief.

After school the two girls walked home together. Mary talked about school, her parents and the vacations they took. Laurie didn't have much to say. Mary sneaked peeks at Laurie's arm and wondered what happened to it.

"Look!" Laurie jumped up and down. "There's my mother in the front yard. See you tomorrow, Mary."

"How did it go?" Mary heard Laurie's mother ask.

"Everybody just stared at me!" she cried. "Nobody wanted to be my friend!

One girl talked to me because the teacher forced her to show me around the school."

Mary watched as Laurie ran into her house.

When Mary got home she closed the front door and let out a big sigh. Her books dropped to the floor.

"How was your day, dear?" her mother asked.

"You will not believe what happened at school."

"It was an unusual day here at home, too."

"Why? What happened?" Mary asked.

"Tabitha had her kittens. She's in your closet."

Mary dashed to her room. She wanted to see for herself. She opened the closet door an inch at a time. It was true. Three beautiful kittens were meowing around Tabitha.

She knew exactly what to name the little black one with the white paws. She called it Mittens because it looked like it was wearing white mittens. Mitten's brother was completely black except for one white spot at the end of its tail. The third one was completely black except for one white spot on its eye.

"What's wrong with Mittens? There's something wrong with the eye."

"I don't know. I noticed that too," said her mother.

"Will it be all right?"

"I think it'll be all right," her mother told her. "We'll ask Dad when he gets home. He might have some ideas."

The next morning Mary went to Laurie's house.

"I took her to school early because I had some papers to sign at the principal's office," Laurie's mother explained. "I'm sure she would've enjoyed walking to school with you."

"O.K. I'll look for her at school. Bye."

"Mary."

"Yes, ma'am?"

Laurie's mother paused.

"Thank you for showing Laurie around the school yesterday," she said.

"That's OK. I didn't mind."

"It was still very sweet of you. You didn't have to do it. No one made you do it, right?"

Mary turned away quickly. She remembered how after she saw Laurie's arm she hoped Miss Maple would choose someone else to show her around the school. She was afraid of all the kids staring at them.

"Bye, ma'am," she said as she walked away looking at the ground.

As Mary got closer to the school, she saw Billy standing by the merry-go-round.

"Olive! Olive Oyl!" It was Priscilla and her friends again.

Billy was talking to Laurie. Mary's face grew hot as she realized what was happening. She began to run when she saw Laurie get on the merry-go-round.

"Laurie! Wait!"

Mary's legs felt heavy as she ran in the sand. How could he be so mean? His face was red from pushing and laughing. Why are boys like that? She was so angry she was ready to explode. Just before she got to Billy she tripped and went half running and half falling until she felt her head run into his face. He fell backwards with a thud. Mary lay sprawled in the sand.

"Mary, are you all right?"

It was Laurie's voice.

"Yes, I'm all right," she answered.

"Why did you do that?"

"You don't understand, Laurie." Mary tried to get the sand out of her mouth.

"Understand what?"

"Billy likes to get the new kids on the merry-go-round and get it going fast enough to launch them into outer space," Mary explained.

"Oh," said Laurie.

Mary gave up trying to spit the sand out of her mouth and was now using her fingernails to scratch it off her tongue.

“Come on," Laurie said as she lifted Mary up. "Let's go get some water to wash your mouth out.”

Mary went with her obediently. Billy sat on the ground moving his nose from side to side.

RRRRiinnnnnnggggg!

On the way home Mary told Laurie about her new kittens.

“I need to get home to see if my new kittens are O.K.,” Mary said casually.

“You have new kittens?”

“Yes, three of them,” she said as if talking about the weather.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Laurie asked as she shook Mary by the shoulders. “Can I see them? Please say yes. Please, please please!”

“They’re usually pretty tired right now. Why don’t you come over tomorrow and I’ll show you my new kittens?”

Laurie saw her mother waiting for her in the front yard. She ran off.

“Mom, can I have a kitten? Please say yes. Please, please, please.”

Mary asked her mother to get her up earlier than usual for a Saturday. She
wanted to be ready when Laurie arrived.

"You better get up if you want breakfast," she heard her mother say. "Last
chance."

It couldn’t possibly be morning already Mary thought. There must be a mistake.

“Last chance,” her mother said again.

"I'm coming," she said from under the covers.

Mary heard Laurie walking up the driveway as she sat eating her breakfast.

"Can I look at your new kittens?" Laurie asked with her nose against the screen door.

"You're going to have to be very quiet," Mary whispered as they tiptoed down the hall.

"Are they asleep?" Laurie wanted to know.

"Sometimes," Mary answered.

When Laurie got her first look at the new kittens she let out a long aaaahhhhhhhh.

"They're beautiful," she said. "Can I have one of them? I've already asked my mother and she said I could have one."

Laurie looked at Mary then the kittens then back to Mary. Then her face got very sad.

"What's wrong, Laurie?" Mary asked.

"This kitten with the bad eye .... who are you going to give it to?"

"No one. Why?" Mary was puzzled by the look on Laurie's face.

"Can I have it?" she asked as she cradled it in her arms.

"You want the one with the messed up eye? My dad said it's blind in that eye."

"Yes, I want it," Laurie answered. "It might think nobody wants it just because it's different."

Mary told Laurie she could have it as soon as it got a little older. Laurie smiled and let out a big sigh.

The day went quickly for Mary and her new friend. The afternoon found them lying on the grass under the neighbor's big oak tree. A gentle breeze made different shapes in the clouds.

"Look, Laurie. Do you see a horse?"

"A horse? Where?"

"Right there." Mary pointed at the sky.

The two girls lay on the grass with their heads together.

"Is it starting to rain?" Mary asked.

"How could it be raining? This is the most beautiful day of all."

A few seconds later it was Laurie's turn to speak.

"You're right! It is raining."

Before Mary could respond they heard that too familiar laughter. They sat up as if they were springs. A quick search of the area told them where the rain and the laughter came from. It was Billy with a water pistol. He could not run and laugh at the same time so he fell several times before he finally disappeared from sight.

"Why are boys so mean?" Laurie asked not really expecting an answer.

With clenched fists Mary said, "I hate them!"

"Me too," added Laurie.

The kittens were finally old enough to drink milk from a saucer. It was time for Laurie to take the one she picked out for herself. Laurie came knocking at the door early that Saturday to be sure Mary didn't forget and give her kitten to someone else.

"Hi," Laurie said as she looked through the screen door.

"Hi," Mary answered with a mouthful of cereal.

When the girls got to Mary's room they found kittens all over the bedroom. After a five minute search they found Mittens, the one with the bad eye that Mary promised to Laurie. She picked it up so tenderly.

"Laurie, why do you want this kitten? Wouldn't you rather have one of the others? Why does it have to be this one?"

"I'm not sure," she answered. Her voice sounded like her thoughts were far away. "I guess because she looks so lonely. Sometimes I feel lonely too."

"But Laurie, you don't have to be lonely," Mary said. "You have me to be with. We're best friends, aren't we?"

"You be sure to clean up your room before you go outside to play, Mary."

She looked up from the floor to see her mother's face looking down at her.

"O.K., Mom. I will."

Mary looked around at the mess in her room. She hated cleaning her room.

"I'll be back," she heard Laurie say. "I want to take my kitten home so she can see where her new home is going to be."

"O.K.," Mary said.

It seemed to Mary that she had cleaned her room for hours when she heard a knock at the back door. She looked around her room. It still looked the same. She went to the door to let Laurie in, but was surprised to find Billy standing there.

"What do you want, Billy Duckworth?" she asked as she walked to the screen door.

"I just saw Laurie walking down the street and she said that you have some little cats and I was hoping you would let me look at them and I promise I won't do anything bad to them."

"What do you want to look at them for? Do you want to drown them with your water pistol? Do you want to tie them to the merry-go-round? I don't trust you, Billy Duckworth."

"I just want to see them and that's all," he pleaded.

There was a long silence. Could Mary trust Billy? She decided it was safe as long as she watched him closely.

"I guess it'll be all right," she heard herself say.

As Billy opened the screen door Mary felt her stomach get tight. She could be making a big mistake by letting the terror of the school, the monster of the playground get so close to her kittens.

"Here they are," Mary said proudly as she pointed into the dark closet.
Billy dropped to his knees and peered all the way to the back of the closet.
"Move out of the way," Mary said to him as she pushed him to the side so she could reach in and slide the box out into the light.

"Wow," Billy said softly.

Mary's body went tense. She was ready to strike if Billy did anything that looked like he might do anything bad to her kittens. Instead, Mary got a surprise. She saw a gentle and caring look on Billy's face. He picked up the kitten so gently. Mary couldn't have done it more gently herself.

"What's the little cat's name," Billy wanted to know.

"I don't know. I haven't named it yet."

"It sure is soft," Billy said in amazement.

Mary knelt next to Billy. He sounded like he really meant it.

"Mary, do you think I could have this little cat? Do you think your parents would care if I took this one home?"

"You want a kitten?" Mary asked in shock. This couldn't possibly be true. Why would Billy want a kitten?

"Yes, I want a little cat. It could be my friend when my mom goes to work and I'm by myself. I would take real good care of it. I would feed it and clean its litter box and even give it a bath. I would even help it catch little mice for it to eat."

She wasn't sure if she should trust Billy. He was always so sneaky and so mean. Mary decided she was going crazy because she heard herself tell Billy it would be all right for him to take the little kitten home.
Mary couldn't believe her eyes. She thought she saw tears in Billy's eyes as he softly said, "Thank you, Mary."

Monday came. It was time to go back to school. Mary saw Billy walking towards her.

"Hey, Mary. Guess what."

"No," said Mary.

"No, what? You don't even know what I was going to say!"

"No! I don't want a ride on the merry-go-round."

"I wasn't going to ask you to get on the merry-go-round. I wanted to tell you about the tricks my little cat can do."

"He's too little to do tricks, Billy."

"No, he isn't," insisted Billy. "He can chase things and climb up on things. You know what he did yesterday?"

Billy didn't wait for an answer.

"He was sitting next to my fish tank watching the fish swimming around and all of a sudden he jumped at them. He didn't know about the glass. I thought he had broken his face. I didn't know whether to laugh or not. I don't think he hurt himself."

"That sounds like something only you would think was funny," Mary said.

"Hi, Mary."

They both turned toward the direction of the new voice. It was Laurie.

"Hi, Laurie," they said.

"How's your kitty doing, Laurie?" Mary felt she had to check to be sure all her kittens were doing O.K.

"He's doing fine. He's so playful."

"I have an idea," said Mary.

"What?" Laurie asked.

"Let's get together after school and bring our kittens so they can play together. After all, they are brothers and sisters."

"That's a great idea!" Billy said.

There was silence as the two girls looked at Billy. Billy looked at the ground and began to walk away. The two girls looked at each other and nodded their heads at the same time as if they had practiced it that way.

"Billy," Mary yelled. "We'll be under the big oak tree at 4:00 o'clock.

The next day Mary and Laurie noticed Billy sitting on the merry-go-round as they walked to school.

"Mary, Mary, speckled, freckled!" It was Priscilla and her friends again.
Mary jumped up and down and waved at them.

"Good morning! Do you know Laurie? She's my best friend," she yelled at them. She gave Laurie a big hug. Laurie blinked her eyes to hide the tears.

"Mary!" Billy shouted.

The girls waved as Billy came running to them.

"Hi, Mary. Hi, Laurie. Do you wanna come to a party Saturday night?"

"A party?" They couldn't hide their excitement. "Where?"

"At my house," Billy started. "My mom said it's O.K. She said we could eat pizza and watch a movie if we want. She said you could bring your little cats. She wants to see them. What do you think? Do you wanna come?"

"That's a great idea. Yes, we'll come. What time? I'm so excited! I love parties," the girls said talking at the same time.

"The party will start at 6:00 o'clock," Billy announced.

When Saturday came the kids didn't get together as they usually did. Mary was too busy getting ready for the party. There was a bath to take and hair to wash and dresses to try on.

The girls arrived at Billy's house at 6:00 o'clock.

DING DONG!

The door flew open

"Hi, Billy!" The girls said it together as if they had practiced it that way.

"Hi," Billy answered.

"Do you girls want to come in?" Billy's mother asked.

"Yes, ma'am," Mary answered.

"Billy, would you step aside so the girls can come in?"

"Sorry," he said as he moved over.

"Here, Billy."

Mary handed him a package wrapped in colorful paper and a big, blue bow.

"What is it?" he asked.

"You'll see. Don't open it yet," Mary told him.

"O.K. I'll wait, Mary."

The girls put their kittens on the floor.

“You girls sure look pretty, don’t they, Billy?

The two girls looked at Billy. Billy’s face turned red.

"Which one of you is Mary and which one is Laurie?" Billy's mother asked.
Each girl raised her hand as her name was called.

"Are all of you hungry?" was the next question. "We have plenty of pizza and whatever you want to drink."

"Can we help you with anything?" they asked just like their mothers reminded them to.

"There's nothing to do. Just get you some pizza and sit down and tell me all about your kittens and you," she said.

The next couple of hours went by so quickly. They talked about school and their kittens. Billy told them he decided to name his little cat Patch. The white spot on his eye looked like a patch over his eye. They talked about memories from when they were children.
Mary noticed Laurie had gotten very quiet.

"Laurie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Honey, tell us," Billy's mother said.

Laurie began her story.

"I was thinking about the day the school bus went in the ditch."

Everyone got very quiet.

"What happened, Laurie?" Mary asked.

"The bus caught fire and we couldn't get out. The front door wouldn't open and we couldn't wake the bus driver up so we ran to the back door. I was so scared. All the kids were screaming."

"What happened, Laurie?" Mary asked.

"I opened the door with my arm," she said with tears rolling down her cheeks. "I didn't know it was so hot."

"Laurie, you saved everybody's life!"

"I was screaming all the way to the hospital. I kept wishing my arm would fall off so it wouldn't hurt anymore. The doctor said he might have to cut it off. I was so scared no one would ever like me again," she said sobbing.
Everyone else cried, too. Mary and Billy put their arms around her.
Mary saw Billy reach for another piece of pizza. Boys are so heartless! As he was about to put it into his mouth it flipped over and landed on his pants with the messy side down. Mary began to laugh. She couldn't help it. When Laurie saw this she began to laugh, too. Billy looked at the pepperoni pizza with his mouth still open.

Everyone forgot about Billy's present until Mary saw Patch playing with a piece of the wrapping paper.

"Open your present," she said.


In an instant Billy was tearing off the pretty wrapping paper.

Under all the wrapping paper was a painting by Mary and Laurie. At the bottom left hand corner they had signed their names. It was a picture of two little girls lying under a tree looking at the clouds with three little kittens. Next to them was a little boy. The little boy was wearing a red cap.
© Copyright 2008 Ray G (china-beach at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1490699-Mary-Tootles