*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492682-Just-Another-Weekend--Sec-1
by kyp
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #1492682
The 1st sec. of a story I am working on. The story switches characters with each sec.
                              Just Another Weekend

                                            kyp











                                    Alex Carson







         Red blurs my vision.  Not because I’m mad, but because I just man-handled the CHS starting quarter back.

         I stand up with that familiar feeling of pride and pure adrenaline.  With sweat dripping from my nose I give a short battle cry and head but my best friend Branden Steadly.

         Branden is a pretty big guy, but he’s not like fat, just big.  Branden and I have been best friends ever since we stepped on a field together in the fifth grade.  It’s pretty hard not to get to know the kid who’s played line backer with you for seven years.

         I look over at the coach.  He puts his hand on his chest and yells “Bullet!”  A sudden burst of joy flows through my veins.  This is my favorite stunt, I get to blitz the middle and from there on out it’s pin your ears back and tackle anything in front of me.

         “Down!”  I stare at the Q-B and smile like I’m about to hit him harder than anything I’ve ever hit, which I intend to do. 

“Set!”  He’s scared, I can hear it in his voice.  He knows I want to hurt him. 

“Hut!” I blast through the hole that was intended for their full-back just as he gets the ball.

         I see him cover up the ball and I start to laugh in my head.  This kid thinks he’s going to run through me!  I dive for his feet and wrap up. Not a half second behind me Branden jumps up and hits his chest.  This has to be the stupidest full-back I’ve ever seen because he tried to stiff arm Branden and only ended up breaking his own wrist.

         After the play we all got on a knee as Mr. Full-back  screamed about his wrist.  Ten seconds later he was escorted off the field.

         As we stand up Branden said “What an idiot!”

         That ended our drive.  We were fifteen yards from a touchdown, there are twenty seconds left in the game, and the score is six to seven.  We had handed our offence a win on a silver platter.

         While Branden and I were off the field we did What We usually did, criticize the offence.

         It was pitiful.  An attempt to run lead to a five yard loss, and two passes were blocked down.  With the clock ran down this would be the last play. All our team has to do is kick a field goal.  The snap is good, the kick looks good. We’re going to win!  Out of no where a two hundred seventy five pound line-man jumped up and knocked down the ball.

         I look at Branden and he looked back at me.  All of a sudden we start laughing.

         “Dude we were awesome!” I said.

         “For real! Most tackles, most sacks, and most injuries. We rocked!” he replied.

         We walk to where the coach was, and where the rest of the team was steadily gathering, and took a knee.

         “That was the worst excuse of a football team I’ve ever seen!  Ya’ll are so stupid when it comes to sports! You are all pitiful athletes and failures on that field!  I hope you guys are smarter in the class room than you are in football pads or your life is screwed!”  He stormed to the bus. 

         As Branden and I were walking off the field I looked at him and asked “Dude, Why do we even play?”

         “I have know idea man.”

© Copyright 2008 kyp (hossmann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492682-Just-Another-Weekend--Sec-1