*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493851-Jasmine
by Sayge
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1493851
Jasmine, sent to find a human wizard no one has ever seen, or even believes exists.
                                 Jasmine



    “Why the sad look my lady?” Galland, head of the Queens guard asked. “Are we not on the greatest adventure one could ask for?”

    “I would much rather be at home getting ready for my friend’s party. Instead, I’m on this dumb animal headed for The Light only knows where, to find a wizard that is supposed to be all powerful and then I’m supposed to teach this wizard what he needs to know to win the final battle. Does that sound like fun to you?” She could hear the snickers of the other men and it made her ears red, which in turn made her angry.

    “Whoa, Girl! Calm down.” Galland said with a smiled that did not quite reach his eyes. “It is the queen that commands we protect you in your quest. Each of these men, including myself, would much rather be home with our families. The queen however, says we are needed and our mission is vital to the safety of our world. I do not know how you feel about it but as for me, we will do what ever it takes to keep this world safe from the darkness.”

    “Your right,” Jasmine said with a sigh. “It’s just I have no experience with the outside world. I have never been passed our own boarders and I have never even seen a human before much less a human wizard that is as powerful as this ones supposed to be. And, there are the questions that keep bothering me like, where did he come from? Why hadn’t anyone known about him before now? You’d think a wizard this powerful would have made himself know to others before now, wouldn’t he?”

    “Your guess is as good as mine. I will tell you this though, before this trip is through all your answers will be there for you.”

    Jasmine and her escort of six reached the old abandon fort, now used as a storage depot for the boarder patrols, as the sun sank behind the westward mountains. After twelve days of traveling on the horse, her rear was now accustomed to the saddle. Her spirits were higher for she had found the beauty of the outside world was as variant and exhilarating as home. After spending the night, they restocked their supplies and headed toward the boarder. Their destination was the old Druid’s keep further north. The reason for traveling to the boarder was because the keep is hard to find any other way. Only by traveling along the boarder could one guarantee finding it. Some believed it held left over druids’ magic, others, thought it was the keep itself that kept the dark ones away. It made no real difference to these travelers for that is where they hoped to find the wizard.

    Six days after leaving the old fort, they heard the running water from the river that served as a boarder between the two lands. Only the boarder patrols dared cross the river to the other side and then only when necessary. Lack of signs from recent patrols and the fact that the patrol that was to meet them should have been there, kept the group alert. Using hand signals, Galland sent two men up the river and two down leaving Galland and Garak to guard the girl. Was the border breached? Were they too late to get reinforcements here? Jasmine, about to ask if she could dismount, froze when the sounds of battle echoed from the left, and the screams of a wounded animal filled the air. She slid off the saddle to stand beside Galland.

    Galland stood facing left, Garak facing right, with Jasmine in between. Bach held a bow, arrow notched and ready to fly. There was movement in the woods coming from all directions. The two warriors that had gone up the river returned at the sound of fighting and positioned themselves in on either side of Jasmine.

    “What did you find?” Galland asked.

    “The patrol. Looks like they ran into an ambush.”

    “It would appear that Makeel and Garatt did just that.” Galland responded. They listened, as the fighting grew closer, knowing there was nothing to do but wait. “Girl, if there are too many for us to handle, we will fight our way to the river, once there you must jump in and let the river take you up stream toward the keep. Stay close to this side for you must not cross. Garak will go with you and let you know when it is safe to leave the water. He is the best tracker and woodsman I know, so he will help you find whom you seek. Be prepared and do not argue, for all our lives depend on you.”

    “I can help you fight. I am as good with a bow as most of you and I train with a sword daily.”

    “Listen child! I am in charge here and you will do as I say. It is you the Queen said...” At that moment two men came crashing through the brush stumbling to a halt a few feet away.

“Kobalds! one of them shouted as he turned to face the first of the beasts as it left the woods.

    Three arrows flew striking the creature in the face. Galland did not waste a second. He dragged Jasmine toward the river just as fast as he could for he knew the Kobalds’ had had time to establish themselves in this area and the boarder was no longer safe. They had just reached the bank of the river when a howl of maddened joy came from behind them. A quick glance over their shoulder confirmed the worst. Ten, twenty, and behind them, more Kobalds poured out of the woods.

    The river came up abruptly with Jasmine sliding to a halt at its edge. She thought about the fact she was goings to get everything soaked and the water was probably very cold. A hard shove in the back stopped all thought as the ice cold water wrapped itself around her. Sputtering as her head popped above water, she heard three more splashes right behind her and then two more. The current took them swiftly and Jasmine had to struggle to situate her bow around her shoulder before she could start to swim. A mad howling from the bank caught her attention over the sounds of the river. Moving swiftly around a bend, they had left the Kobalds far behind and she saw Galland pointing to a section of the bank where the water had cut a shallow place where they could land. She started swimming in the direction he had pointed, when her knees hit bottom and she found herself tumbling across a small sand bar that appeared inches below the water. The force of the water behind her kept pushing and if it had not been for the hands catching her as she tumbled by, she would have been swept on.

Jasmine started to comment on the ride, but was gently pushed toward the far bank before she could.

      “Up! Let’s go. We need to find cover fast. If this is where they crossed, then others will be along soon and we do not want to be here! Let’s move!” Galland said just loud enough to be heard.

They did. As fast and quietly as they could. Jasmine was miserable. Her hair was wet and dripping down her back, her clothes were soaked and dirty, she wanted nothing more than to stop, build a fire and dry out. She turned to Galland to tell him but the look on his face, the constant movement of his eyes ceased her complaints and made her feel like kicking herself for being selfish. They were on the other side of the boarder and all she was thinking about was getting dry again. She hoped the men were to busy to see her blush with shame and then got angry all over again because she was out here instead of at home where she belonged.

    With two of the warriors scouting ahead and one on their trail behind, the group made good progress. Although there were no trails through the woods, the going was relatively easy. A fire had swept through this section of forests a few years back, so the under brush was not as thick as it might have been. If their luck ran good, Galland told Jasmine, they would reach the closed valley before nightfall. The Druid’s keep sat in the center of the valley and though having been abandon many years ago, it’s magic still protected it from the dark’s creatures.

    The druids lived there for ages until the hoards of Darkness attacked, destroying everything in the valley including the Druids. They say the last living druid died infusing the keep itself with the power and magic of the woods and light. No creature of the dark could set foot in the keep with out being destroyed. The sun was just a few hours before setting behind the distant mountains when one of the scouts returned to report.







    “Sir, the keep is just over the next rise. Makeel went ahead to check it out.”

    “Okay, we’ll wait here until Baratt catches up.”

It did not take long for Baratt to show himself. In fact, he came running at a good clip. “Run!” he shouted when he saw that they had stopped. Galland did not question but turned, pushing Jasmine ahead, started running for the keep. The sound of heavy crashing behind them lent speed to their feet. They had almost reached the keep when an ungodly roar came from behind them. Each of the runners glanced over their shoulder only to wish they hadn’t when they saw the creature they were running from.

Larger than the largest bear and twice as fast for it had six legs to propel it forward. Its head was black, covered by scales while the body was covered in thick matted fur. It let out a roar of rage when it saw its prey, increasing its speed with impossible ease.

    The group arrived at the door expecting Makeel to be there waiting and when the door did not open, Galland lowered his shoulder and plowed into it. The door opened with a crash, Garak sliding in last, slammed the door and bared it shut behind him. Their backs to the stone wall, each of the travelers waited for the beast to come crashing through the door. After a few minutes of silence, Galland puts his ear to the door but hears nothing.

Jasmine leaned against the stone wall breathing fast. She had never seen a creature like the one that chased them and hoped she would never see one again. She was still wishing she were at home when Galland spoke.

    “Listen up. I believe something or someone has corrupted the magic of this keep, otherwise Makeel would have been waiting for us. Until we find What ever is here, we are not safe.”

There was enough light from the windows to see the room and Jasmine noticed the two doors leading off to the right and the left and a central staircase leading to the rooms above. The dust in the room was thick and she could see Makeel’s footprints going first to the door on the right then to the one on the left. She followed the tracks with her eyes noticing the difference in size as they left the second room and went up the stairs. She was a good enough tracker to know that the second set of prints were not Makeel’s. She was suddenly scared and worried about the missing man for she had come to care for all of them during their journey.

    Galland used his hands to signal them to remain quiet and to stay where they were. Leaving the wall and motioning Baratt to follow, he walked to the door on the left and pushed it open, careful not to touch the doorknob. The room was large and cluttered with old rotting furniture. The walls were lined with books, old, rotting and covered in dust. In fact, everything in the room was covered in dust except the very center of the floor. Baratt started to enter but Galland’s hand held him back. Looking over his shoulder, Galland saw what he was looking for. In the corner was an old leather sack filled with grain. Taking the sack he walked back to the door and tossed it to the center of the floor. The sack landed with a dull thud then vanished.

    “Some type of trap. There’s no telling where it took Makeel. Baratt come with me. Garak, the rest of you stay here with the girl and make sure this floor is secure.” With out waiting for a reply, Galland with Baratt close behind took to the stairs two at a time reaching the top in seconds. The small footprints led down the center of the hallway passing all the doors that lined it. Reaching the end of the hail, the tracks turn left following this hall until it reaches what seems to be a dead end.

    “Baratt, see if you can find a trap door or something. Baratt?” Gailand said again looking back over his shoulder. To his surprise, Baratt was not there. His eyes strayed to the floor and he found only his footprints. Running back the way he had come, Baratt was not in the main hallway and as he walked toward where he thought the stairs should be, he found only another dead end with branches left and right.

    Jasmine’s stomach began to rumble and knowing that the men were probably hungry, she decided to see if there was a kitchen or a fireplace where she could prepare some food. Going to the door on the right, she opened it then entered the room just as she heard someone call out her name. A glitter of light on shinning metal caught her eye and she saw in one corner of the room, a mirrored vanity with brushes and combs. Walking over to it and seeing herself in the mirror, she is embarrassed by the condition of her hair and clothes. She sat on the chair, picked up one of the brushes and started running it through her hair. Her father’s face comes to mind and she wondered if he is all right. Wishing she were at home where she could see him—suddenly she was in her bedroom. There was a party tonight and she wanted to be the most beautiful girl there. A flash of green catches her eye and hanging on the wall is the most beautiful but provocative green gown she had ever seen. Cut extremely low in the front with no back at all, a pair of matching slippers sat underneath. Standing and shedding her clothing, Jasmine reached for the gown when she saw hanging on the nail with the gown  the most exquisite necklace. She gasped in awe at the sight, wondering how her father had had time to get it, and put it there for her to find. This was going to be the best party this year, she thinks as she started to put the necklace around her neck.

Garak turned his head away for a second and when he looked back, Jasmine was opening one of the doors. ‘Jasmine! No!” he shouted running to the door throwing himself against it and bouncing back with only a bruised shoulder for his effort.  He pound on the door and called out but heard no answer. Taking a step back, Garak kicked the door one, two, three times before the inside latch gave way and the door banged open. He stepped through to find an room empty. Calling out her name as he searched the room for traps, he found nothing. “There is something strange here and I do not like it.” He reached into one of his many pouches and brought out a small sack, poured part of the contents in his hand, then spun letting the dust fly into the air. Immediately Jasmine appeared wearing only a slave shift and holding a slave collar up to her eyes as if admiring it, then she starts to put it around her neck. Garak sprang forward snatched the collar from her hands and thrust it behind his back. With the spell broken, Jasmine starred in disbelief as she saw her clothing on the floor and realized what she was wearing.

    “What’s happening?” She cried in despair.

    “It’s okay.” Garak said, feeling somewhat uncomfortable as the girl buried her head into his chest.      There is some evil magic at work here so we must constantly be on guard. Do not leave my side for anything from this moment on.” Taking her by the hand, he led her out the door and back to where the others waited.

*          *          *          *          *

    Makeel entered the keep, putting his back to the wall until his eyes became accustom to the dim light. He stood in a small foyer and when his eyes adjusted, he was able to see the doors on the right and left of him. A staircase leading upward sat in the middle of the room. Carefully he made his way to the door on his right, he froze when a small sound came from behind the door on the left. He waited a few minutes and when the sound came again, he moved cautiously across the room to the door. A quick inspection of the doorknob did not reveal a trap but he was not willing to take the chance. Using the handle of his sword, he pushed the door open on its rusty hinges. The room was covered in dust and full of old books and furnishings. He checked the dust covered floor and could find no place that had been disturbed. He could also find no cause for the noises he had heard. It wasn’t until he spotted the book lying in the middle of the floor, that his senses heightened and the sense of danger overwhelmed him. A hard shove from the back caused him to suddenly find himself standing next to the book and falling. A short fall, the cracking of his head on a hard surface was all Makeel sensed before loosing consciousness.



When he awoke he was somewhat confused by the darkness and as he tried to lift his head, pain shot through his body bringing forth waves of nausea. Gingerly moving his hand to his head, he felt it to find only a small lump. He then checked the rest of him for any other injuries finding everything intact but very sore. He wasn’t exactly sure where he was but from the smells, he figured it was a dungeon or basement below the keep. As he sat up, one of the sharp pains that had been in his side stopped and Makeel realized he had been laying on his bow and quiver. Feeling for his pouch, he removed flint and some tender, kept for emergencies, and feeling around searched for a stick or something to use for a torch. His hand felt something long hard and round and although he had a feeling what it was, he did not want to think about it. Taking his only spare shirt from his pouch, he tore a few strips off and wraps them around the end of the stick. Using the flint and tender, he lights the cloth, chasing the darkness from his prison. That he finds, is where he is. There were bars on three sides and the stone wall made the fourth. It was the floor however that really caught his attention. Bones, large and small were scattered everywhere. Yet the bones alone did not send the chill up his back it was the body in the corner of the cell. The cloths were familiar and with a soft moan, Makeel knelt down and gently turned the body so he could see the face. Swearing quietly, Makeel goes through his friends clothing and pack taking everything of value. Inside one of the mans pouches, Makeel finds something he would never expected. In one of the pouches was a Wand of Opening. It was a thief’s tool, but one only the most successful thief could afford. It would open any lock, door, or hidden trap. “Let’s see if this thing works.” He said to himself as he walked to the door. Touching the door with the wand, he waited. Nothing happened at first and as he started to touch it again, his sharp ears hear the distinctive click of the lock opening. The scurrying of scavengers could be heard as light from the torch spilt through the bars. The torch almost goes out as a strong breeze from the right sweeps by carrying an almost overpowering smell of decay, but most important, the muffled sounds of speech. It wasn’t long before he found the stairway leading upwards. Taking his time and searching for traps, he made his way to the top of the stairs where a door stood slightly ajar. Extinguishing the torch, he crept forward until he could look into the room. He was surprised to see four robed figures standing around a table. In one corner, bloodied and bruised was Galland with his arms tied to the rope around his ankles. Makeel slowly sat down to wait the four out. He could not handle four of them at once so he would wait until two or more left before making his move.

*          *          *          *

    “How was I to know one of those damned Elves would be able to break the illusion?” One of the robed ones argued. “Another second and she would have been ours. Did you get a good look at her when she took off her clothing? Such a beauty as that will bring a great price at the market.”

    “She is not destined for the market fool! Our Lord wants her and he wants her intact. That means none of you are to touch her. Now, our job is to get her to put one of these collars around her neck. She will willingly follow all instructions but only from the owner of the collar. That is why once she put one on herself, you will put another on her so she will obey you until she is taken to her new master. I will warn you only once; once collared she will try to please you. If you touch her, I will be forced to kill you. Now that that is settled, I want the three of you to get rid of the elves and bring the girl to me.”

The three grumbled as they walked out the door closing it behind them. As the door closed Makeel heard a muffled grunt and was in time to see the robed one kick Galland hard in the back. Reaching down the robed one caught Galland by the hair savagely twisting his head back.

    “We have things to discuss, Elf” the creature spit the word out with loathing. Tell me what I want to know and your death will be swift and relatively painless, or you can be stubborn and I can have some fun before you die. Of course, my way is more fun for me so I really hope you’re stubborn. I’ve never had the pleasure of torturing an Elf before and I’m looking forward to seeing how tough you really are. Well?” he said letting go of Galland’s hair and kicking him once more in the back. “What’s it going to be? Please say you’ll be stubborn.”

    "May the Gods of Light burn you for eternity!” Gallanci snarled

Makeel took his bow from his shoulders and notched an arrow. When the robed figure turned his back to the door, Makeel let the arrow fly. It struck the robe in the middle of its back passing through the body stopping only after five inches of the arrow was sticking out it’s chest. A loud hiss escaped the lips of the robed one as it pitched forward landing with a dull thump on the floor. With another arrow notched, Makeel stepped into the room, much to the surprise of Galland.

    “Light be praised. I though you dead.”

    “Baratt is.” Makeel said solemnly as he knelt to cut Galland loose. “Let me ask you something. Did you know that Baratt was a thief? It would seem he was a good one. I went through his things when I found him and I discovered a wand of opening. Those things are very rare and extremely expensive. Did you know about him.”

Galland watched the face of his friend for a few seconds while trying to rub circulation back into his hands. “Yes I did. That is one of the reasons he was with us. I have know of his activities for quite some time but did not mention them because I thought he would be a help on this quest. It is a shame he is gone for I have a feeling we will need the help of a good thief before we reach home again.”

    “But he was a thief!” Makeel said with disdain. “They are untrustworthy and think only of themselves. A thief will steal from anyone, even his on mother!”

    “Most are as you say but Baratt was a little different. I have never known Baratt to steal anything from any one that would suffer from the loss. I also know that every week; he gave to the orphanage and to those that cared for the sick. He was a thief, yes, but he was also a good man.” The circulation had returned to his legs and as he stood, he points to the dead one on the floor. “These four were sent to capture the girl. I believe they intended her to be a pleasure slave for one of the Dark Masters. It would appear they’ve been working overtime. They have a new type of slave collar that drains the will of the wearer into the collar giving the owner complete and total control. The worst of it is, if they can trick you into putting the collar around your own neck, it fills you with enchanted ecstasy that makes you want and need only one thing, to please your master..” As he picked up his weapons from the corner where they had been tossed when he was first captured, Galland headed for the door. “That’s what they have planned for the girl. We have to find her before they do. They used illusions to trick us last time, but I’m on to their tricks and I won’t be so easily fooled again.” Reaching into his pouch, he took a small sack and emptied part of the dust into his palm. Tossing the dust down the hallway, the staircase reappears and the two could see the other three robed figures standing at the top of the stairs moving their arms rapidly in the air.

    Without waiting, Makeel shot the closest of the three, while Galland ran toward the stairs. As the first one fell, another turned toward them and gasped as an arrow struck him in the chest. The last one wasted no time in trying to escape, disappearing just as Galland’s Sword cut him in half. He reappeared as the top part of his body flip— flopped down the stairs.

With the illusion broken, Jasmine slumped against the wall, weak and tired from fighting imaginary foes. Sinking slowly to the floor, breathing hard and weak from exhaustion, Garak falls forward only to be caught by Galland and eased down. Jasmine wept softly as she crawled to where Garak lay, she lift his head and placed it in her lap wiping the hair from his face then cradling him until his eyes opened and he smiled at her.

© Copyright 2008 Sayge (sayge at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493851-Jasmine