*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493909-THANKS-FOR-WHAT-I-DONT-HAVE
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1493909
Give thanks for the things we don't have.
On my way to work this morning I was stopped by the Gestapo five times before I finally made it to the office.  Seems as if they're searching for four American terrorists who have been spreading propaganda against the State.

When I got to work, several dozen news releases were already on my desk and a very nasty note from the Deputy Chief of the Information Bureau was pinned on the wall.  The note read, "You're in big trouble; see me soonest."  Of course he wasn't in yet; he belonged to the Party and was exempt from punching the time clock.

As I sifted through the early news releases, several new items caught my attention.

One item dealt with illegal religious gatherings.  Ever since the State outlawed all religions; except the one religion approved for the general public, it appears that several underground religions have been growing and spreading their illegal Christian dogma.The Bureau of Spiritual Affairs was immediately assigning several hundred new agents to our region to help stamp out this growing religious cancer.

Another release dealt with illegal weapons.  Several starving locals were caught hunting by the Special Game Police, using illegal weapons.  No American is authorized to own or use a firearm of any kind, including antique weapons, and any American with knowledge of any citizen proposing the use, possession, or intent to obtain such a weapon is required by law to turn them in.  The news release said two men, two boys and a girl will be shot in the town square at noon for violating the law.  Also, a woman who knew they had the illegal weapons would; as an example, be executed along with them.

The other news releases were of a dull general nature; SS-soldiers had quelled a food riot in New York by massacring half the protesters and sending the rest off to work camps; Farmers in Iowa were asking the Bureau of Agriculture for permission to plant extra crops for family use; a number of minorities had been discovered hiding in a Midwest barn.

The owner of the farm and his family, along with the three Blacks, two Jews, and one Indian, were executed on the spot.  A family in Alabama had been publicly whipped for possessing an illegal Bible and hoarding food, unfortunately the five-year-old family member died from his lashings. Several radical groups in Japanese occupied California were proposing a day of rest instead of the 14 hour, 7 day work week proscribed by law.  We all know that will never happen!

A major news release involved a change in the Public School Education Curriculum.  Young boys and girls who sign up to join the SS-Party Youth Brigade are henceforth to be given five additional credits towards graduation.  Any Youth Brigade member who turns in a teacher for teaching ideas contrary to that authorized by the State, will receive the new Citizen Medal of Special Merit (CMSM), worth one semester's tuition to any State run college.

Just as I was sifting through the last of the early news releases, the Deputy Bureau Chief walked up to my desk.  "You did not get permission to print an article that ran in last week's paper," He smugly stated.  "The Bureau Chief is furious with anger.  It appears that one of the young people you listed in your article, those arrested for public nuisance, was his youngest son. I am sorry to inform you, you have been transferred from the News Bureau and you must report to the Military's Special Operations Penal Unit immediately. I am told you have been assigned to the Chinese front, where we both know your chances of living are zero."

As my jaw dropped, I rolled out of bed and hit the floor with a resounding thud. Somewhat disoriented but finally clear of mind I though - What a nightmare!

Which made me realize, I am truly grateful for - the things we don't have!

© Copyright 2008 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1493909-THANKS-FOR-WHAT-I-DONT-HAVE