*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494923-I-Was-Good
by Clary
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1494923
Slighty creepy short story
The cold moved in the darkness. An invisible fog snaking through the air, creating a deathly chill in the usually warm house. Screams of pain still seemed to echo in the silence. Horrifying reminders of a life broken with a flash of steel.

A closet door slides open. Gentle moonlight washes in, illuminating the petite figure of a little girl. Shortcut ebony locks sway caressingly around her small freckled face, which terror had blanched marble white. A faded blue nightgown was all that protected the shaking girl’s body from the vicious cold. An old rugged teddy that was gripped firmly in her pale, fisted hands was all that protected her from the fear that threatened to consume and destroy.

A small trembling foot tentatively stepped forward. A hesitating hand carefully inched the door fully open.

With one glance the child’s hope shattered like breaking glass, with the sound of graveyard silence. A cry escaped from her lips.
“Mummy,” she whispered, tears beginning to cascade from her horror-filled grey eyes like two trickling streams. The teddy fell from her fingers. She took another step, stopping suddenly as warm liquid slipped underneath her toes. She knelt down slowly, dipping her fingers into it  and bringing it to her face. It was red.

She froze. Her breathing  began to quicken, coming out in loud racking sobs.
“I hid mummy!,” She cried hysterically, “I did what you said!”
The child threw herself onto her death-pale mother, no longer caring about the blood that soaked through her nightgown. “I was quiet! I was good!” She screamed,
“Please mummy! Don’t leave me!” The little girl sobbed louder and louder. So loud that she couldn’t hear anything. Not even the footsteps coming behind her.

© Copyright 2008 Clary (claryr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1494923-I-Was-Good