*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1495616-Little-Women
Rated: E · Other · Melodrama · #1495616
This is a short monologue from Little Women the musical. I used this for an audition.
  Jo March:  It’s been a while since I’ve been up here.  This attic needs an airing and a dusting.  I’ll get to it.  This attic used to be such a sanctuary for me.  Whenever I’d be sad or disappointed, I’d run up the stairs, bolt the door, and come back hours later… so full of life.  I haven’t been that Jo in a long time.  I can’t write.  I can’t do anything, really.  In the past I could always come up with something.  Beth would say “Jo can make the clouds disappear”.  I want Beth back!  I should have never broken the promise!  I should have never gone to New York.  If I hadn’t gone…everything would have been different! 

How can I manage?  How can I go on day in day out as if nothing has happened? 

Sing:

I never dreamed of this sorrow, I never thought I’d have reason to lament. I hoped I’d never know heartbreak.  How I wish I could change the way things went.  I wanted nothing but goodness.  I wanted reason to prevail.  Not despair..emptiness.  I wanted days of plenty.  You have to believe there is reason for hope.  You have to believe that the answer’s will come.  I can’t let this defeat me.  I won’t let this defeat me.  I must fight to keep her there within me.  I’ll believe that she mattered.  I’ll believe that she always will.  She will always be with me.  She’ll be part of the days I’ve yet to fill.  She will live in my bounty.  She will live as I carry on my life.  I’ll carry on.  Full of hope.  She’ll be there.  For all my days of plenty. 


Jo March:  How do I go on?  Just an empty room?  All I have are memories!!  I need a task to do…someone give me a task to do!!  I need a …….

(Jo finds the seashell Beth gave her)

Sing:
I thought that somehow we would always have forever.  I thought the promises we made would have a different end.  I thought the love we shared would keep us as we were.  They were the fire within me. 
© Copyright 2008 broadwaylover (broadwaylover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1495616-Little-Women