*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496742-Five-Ways-to-Hope
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1496742
Will 5 chosen people pull together to serve Santera or will their grudges shatter our hope
Just a quick note before you read: I really need some feedback on this so I'd really appreciate anything you have to say. Also the (~) symbol means that the events are happening simultaneously, I tried to figure out how to make them flow and show that they were all happening at the same time, but I ended up being repetitive so I just used the symbol. If you have any suggestions I'm eager to here them. Thank you! I hope you enjoy!

Chapter One


         Chihiro fell into her bed not even bothering to take her clothes off. She was covered in blood but exhaustion pushed the thought from mind. It’d been weeks since there had been a break in the siege and she was tired. Just as her eyes closed and darkness was about to take her, the uncanny flare of an apprentice level chakra jarred her back to reality. Her eyes snapped open as the red signal lights began flashing throughout the complex. She flung herself to her feet without hesitation; she could not let that door open while she lay on the bed exhausted; weakness could not be revealed to her subordinates. An instant later the door was flung open revealing a young academy student, no older than seven or eight.
         “Ma’am, the western and eastern walls have fallen. The northern wall is holding but will not last much longer and the southern wall is not under attack at the moment.” The student gasped out without waiting for greeting or acknowledgment from his leader. He winced and reached to his shoulder to remove a kunai that was imbedded there.
         “Divert all forces to the southern wall immediately, place Riku in charge. All wounded should be moved to the northern infirmary. Move all casualties to the eastern and western infirmaries. Have the first through fifth medical units move to the northern infirmary and treat the wounded there. The rest of the medical division should be sent to the southern infirmary, all those wounded in the defense of the southern wall should be taken there.” Chihiro said coolly as she approached the boy. Not a flicker of concern or instant of hesitation. When she reached the boy she began healing his shoulder quickly.
         “But, ma’am, that doesn’t make any since! The southern wall isn’t under attack, and if you divert all the forces there, we are sure to lose!” The young boy said in panic. A hand collided with his head and he stumbled into the door frame.
         “Do not question orders rookie. You will be punished later, for now just do as you’re told idiot!” Chihiro said with grave annoyance.
         “Y-yes, ma’am.” The boy stammered and then vanished.
         Chihiro heaved a sigh, there was nothing that filled her with distaste more than scolding a child for something that was truly trivial. She knew though, to let one child question your orders, was to let the world question your motives. It was not that she truly cared, she couldn’t, her emotions had been locked away by a curse when she was very young, but even without emotions the action did not sit well with her. Seconds passed, then suddenly Chihiro disappeared and the room lay empty and silent with foreboding.
         An instant later she reappeared at the top of the Sancterra tower. She turned to the east first and then the west. As she had suspected, even though the walls had fallen and she had ordered her men to pull out, the enemy’s numbers were dwindling. Next, Chihiro focused her attention to the north, she wasn’t overly concerned but it was curious that the eastern and western walls, which were both supplied with Ambu protection, should fall while the northern wall, which was protected by only Blades and their Apprentice teams, continued to hold. It was a matter that she would have to look into at a later time. She turned to the task at hand, defense of the southern wall. Her eyes flared from lavender to neon blue and the distant forest came into view. The bountiful movement on the edge of the trees provided her with confirmation of her earlier theory. That was all she needed, her eyes melted back into deep lavender and she, once again, vanished into the darkness.
                                                          (~)
         Ichigo didn’t even look up as the girl, battered and bleeding, stumbled into his office, nearly falling to the floor. He continued to read the file that lay open in front of him. It was a difficult task because the girl was panting loudly and the angry black splotches of scribbled out text were giving him a head ach. Just a few more lines left and he could address the girl. She stood idle in front of his desk panting in exhaustion and pain, but she knew that she had to wait for his acknowledgement before delivering her report. The girl was young but she was well trained, she waited. Finally, Ichigo finished reading the ramblings of what seemed like a deranged women, not that he was likely to voice his opinion on the matter. He looked up at the girl and briefly considered requesting that she not bleed on his carpet, but quickly discarded the thought.
         “Sir, our men have pushed their way through the defenses of the eastern and western walls, but we couldn’t break the northern wall in time. All forces are proceeding to the southern trees and Kakashi has begun the advance on the southern wall.” She practically heaved a sigh of relief when she’d delivered her report.
         “Very well, report to the infirmary for treatment.” Ichigo was notably surprised that the eastern and western walls had been so easily taken while the northern had held. He supposed that it was possible, although highly improbable, that Zuko had changed their defenses.  The girl stumbled out of the room, nearly colliding with the door frame and Ichigo smiled at her resolve, such was the pride of the Raiders.
         Moments after the girl had disappeared five others rushed in, all of them bleeding badly. Ichigo heaved a mental sigh, his head ach growing by the minute. He looked to the soldiers, these ones much older and more experienced than the previous, and nodded.
         “Sir, we have reached the southern wall, but we’ve been had. They diverted all forces to the southern wall moments before the assault began. Our men were unprepared for such resistance and are having a rough time of it. Kakashi estimates that it will take hours for us to penetrate even the front lines. Zuko is holding but she has not yet entered the fray. Kakashi also told me to mention that he will make an attempt to identify their leader tonight she should not be such a difficult task. He is requesting approval to use that.” The oldest of the five rushed his report in his anticipation and Ichigo’s brow raised at the request.
         “Maria, fetch me the file on the suspected leader of Zuko. We know very little of this girl, and yet Kakashi is confident in his request. I suppose he is probably right. The intelligence reports we have all suggest the same thing. But, should we really go off such a meager assumption? Go ahead, I grant all necessary approval to Kakashi.” Ichigo looked confident in his decision, but in reality, he was terrified. “Also, if she enters the fray, tell Kakashi to remain only long enough to use that, and then retreat. Keep me updated with regular reports. Dismissed!”
         When the last of the soldiers had filed out of the room Ichigo gave a sigh of anguish and dropped heavily into his chair. He slammed his forehead into the desk and rolled it onto his cheek, his left arm lay extended straight across the desk and his right arm made a makeshift pillow. He lay there for several minutes examining the scar on his right arm just above the elbow; that scar, which meant so very little to the world, carried with it all the regrets of his past. This was his bond with her, the scar that only he and Chihiro understood the importance behind, after all it was Chi who had given him that scar. As the fond memories of earlier times enveloped him darkness creped up on his exhausted mind and he slid pleasantly off to a deep sleep.
                                                  (~)
         “Ah, Mrs.Megami, what a pleasure it is to have you with us again.” A man dressed in a white tux greeted StarFire at the gates of the complex
         “Charley, how’s the wife and kid?” StarFire said with out so much as fluttering an eye, this routine had become almost ritualistic over the years.
         “Good ma’am, Renton is starting as an alter boy tomorrow. We are all so proud of him, and if he works hard he should be able to provide valuable intell within the year.” Charley replied as he watched her remove her weapons.
         “Hmmm, that’s great news, I’m sure he’ll make a great operative.” StarFire said as she removed her jacket.
         “Yes, thank you ma’am. I’m sure he will. Oh, I see you have a few knew additions.” Charley said as he discretely examined the curvature of StarFire’s body noting that just above her left hip there was an alteration in the material. He knew that it was a knife but he also knew better than to question a Megami.                                             
         “Well, that’s it for today; it’s not very active out there these days. I guess we should be thankful for what ever breaks we can get, all you have to do is ignore the inconvenience of the timing. Does she know I’m here?” StarFire turned toward the doors of the elevator irritably.
         “N-no ma’am, your arrival was unexpected.” Charley stammered surprised by the sudden cockiness prone of royalty, which was so rarely present in the youngest Megami child.
         “Excuse me!?” StarFire froze in mid-stride; she hesitated for a moment and then whirled around, lavender eyes ablaze with rage, barring down upon the man. “Are you suggesting that I, a Megami of the purest blood, should alert such a lowly cockroach as yourself of my impending arrival!?”
         “N-no ma’am!” Charley squeaked and fell to the floor, a standard bow to royalty, in one fluid movement, “Please, Madame Megami, forgive my insolence.”
         “I shall let it pass this time with a warning, but if you ever question me again, I shall have your head mounted on my wall and your son will pay off your debts to the Megami clan.” StarFire said in a cool slur, the fires in her eyes suddenly dowsed by a whirl of internal thoughts and emotions. “Please inform her of my arrival immediately.”
         “Y-yes ma’am.” Charley replied mechanically but his reply went unheard for the Megami child had already turned and was gone from sight. Charley rose to his feet stunned and sent word to the master reporting the events of the last two minutes with an ill disguised tremor in his voice. 
                                                    (~)
         Dustin stood bent over with his hands on his knees, heaving for breath. He brought a hand to the corner of his mouth and wiped at the trail of blood there. A man with dark hair and green eyes stood across from him on the gravel of the training grounds. He looked rather annoyed as he raised his eyes to the over looking balcony and glared at the teen standing there.
         “Jeez, Mike that hurt.” Dustin complained in an almost mocking tone.
         “I am an elemental, it’s what I do.” The other man retorted looking disappointed.
         “Yes, and you’re also a level two Mage, while I’m a seven year old level one Apprentice.” Dustin commented, still mocking the man.
         “You are a blue diamond! Stop holding back and come at me like you mean it!” The man’s face flared with rage.
         “What ever you say teach.” Dustin’s smile grew into a malicious smirk. 
         An instant later he was gone and Mike was putting up barriers as fast as he could. It was silent, the Mage needn’t even mutter the words to cast the shielding spell, but Dustin was gone. Mike stood perfectly still; his barriers were in place, all he could do now was, wait for his Apprentice to make his move. He was confident his barriers would hold, the boy may be a blue diamond but he was still just an Apprentice.
         “Ventus pluvia heed mei dico!” In a flash Dustin reappeared shouted the spell invoking the magic with the energy of his voice and Mike had no time to react. The spell hit the ice barriers crumbling them without hesitation and plowing full on into the Mage.
         Mike crumpled to the ground, but not before he cast a spell of his own, “Aisu ya.”
         Dustin smirked as the spell shot toward him, “As if! Assero!” A barrier erupted in front of him and his smirk grew to a smile. “Teach, I hate to break it to you, but you’re the one holding back. If you really want to see what I can do, don’t make it easy to kill you. I would hate to have to get a new teacher because I killed my old one.”
         The audience that had been building in the upper balconies gasped. A blue diamond was a revolution in the society, but even more of a revolution was the child. He was so young but already an Apprentice. Even still, he was an Apprentice who was going head to head with a Mage; mocking him even. It was unheard of, it was impossible, and they were sure that some where in the laws it was forbidden.
         Mike leapt to his feet, the ice already heeding his call. Manipulating it with his mind and his hands, he attacked his mocking Apprentice. A slash set the boy off balance, and a following arrow sent him crashing into the wall on the other side of the grounds. A blade came following shortly after only to be met by a wall of fire. There was a sudden explosion just inches from the Mage that sent him skidding through the dirt.
         An instant latter several shafts of light were raining down upon the man, but a shield of ice met them before they could harm its master. A trail of water headed for the Apprentice as he charged for the Mage, it intercepted him moments before he could finish his next spell. The trail wrapped its self around the boy and lifted him from the ground. The tension of the audience grew tenfold as the Mage rose to his feet and approached his struggling Apprentice. As he moved closer to Dustin the trail of ice began to wrap tighter around the boy’s body, crushing him.
         “You are far too quick to presume.” Mike chastised his squirming Apprentice. “You leave to many gaps in your defenses and focus almost entirely on offense. You act to quickly, you don’t plan. You’ll never make it past Apprentice if you’re stupid.”
         “Neh-teach sorry to disappoint but you’re wrong. I am a blue diamond, do you really think I’d be defeated so easily.” Dustin flashed a menacing smile of glee to the now curious Mage, “Armies of silenti etc temerarius meus dico. Reus per vestri unholy sacramentum ut vestri unholy vinco. Orior oriri ortus quod suffragium mihi in meus unholy causa. Attero sanctus hostilis ut sto pro mihi. Intus immortalis sin attero sanctus vox. Servo vestri unholy vinco!”
         The following flare of magica from the Apprentice’s body was enough to shatter the ice trail and drop him softly to the ground. Along with the flare of power came the blue light it gave off, the light stunned the Mage for an instant and he stumbled back a few steps. The young Apprentice took this opportunity to throw himself into a back flip over the appearing lines of the undead army. When he landed softly with his back turned to the mage on the other side he turned his head slightly and muttered, “Top that old man.”          
                                                    (~)
         Alec wandered aimlessly down a paved path lined generously with large oak trees. He was a striking young man of barely 18. Spiky black hair with subtle hints of blue may have shocked any passer bys but it was his ocean blue eyes and elegant cheek bones that sealed the fate of his lovers. Everything about him was eye catching, and he was quick to use this to his benefit. Though, none could call him unfaithful, he lived for one man and one man alone.
         As he rounded a bend, a smile crept its way to his elegant features. A man of equal beauty with blonde hair and cerulean eyes stood further down the path, with his back to him. Alec slowed his pace to a crawl, as he snuck closer to the man. When he reached him he wrapped his arms around the other man’s waist and tilted his head to kiss his neck. He was rewarded with a small gasp, from the man.
         “Jake, I found you!” Alec whispered into the man’s ear, receiving a shudder for his efforts. “You’re so sensitive.”
         “S-stop making fun of me!” Jake managed to gasp out as Alec continued his assault on his neck.
         Alec smirked and “hnned” into Jake’s neck. In a rush of movement he spun Jake around, slamming his back into a tree and pressed their mouths hungrily together. Jake, whose back was now digging painfully into the back of the large oak, whimpered into the kiss, and Alec took this as his chance to dart his tongue out to meet the others.
         When Jake attempted to push Alec away, Alec grabbed his wrists and brought them together above his head, pinning them painfully to the tree. After securing both Jake’s hand with his left he brought his right hand down to his lover’s hip. He slid his leg between the others’ and shifted his hand so that it slipped under the cloth of Jake’s shirt. Jake shuddered as the soft hand roamed across his toned stomach. Alec detached his lips from Jake’s, and planted a wet trail of kisses from his jaw all the way to suck at a sensitive spot on his neck. Jake gasped, not just because of the sensation of his lover’s lips on his neck, but also because of the fast approaching aura.
         “Alec! Alec someone’s coming! Alec! Stop we’ll be seen!” Jake protested and squirmed against Alec’s hold, but to no avail.
         “Ah, you’re no fun if you struggle.” Alec said as he released the abused skin of Jake’s neck and moved down to suck on his nipple through the cloth of his shirt. He was rewarded with a moan.
         “Alec! I’m begging you! P-please s-stop!” No sooner had the protest left his mouth, did Jake regret it.
         Alec’s eyes grew wide with shock and he flung himself away from his lover. He stood in the middle of the path, eyes down cast, and shoulders slumped. His eyes shone with a pain ages past. He took several small steps back, and just as he opened his mouth to say something a warp point opened between the two.

Chapter Two


         In a whisper that echoed with the silence of death, a girl appeared on a bloody field of conflict strewn with the torn bodies of her comrades. Her silver hair wiped lustfully about her in the vengeful wind, and her lavender eyes flared with flames of regret in the cold heart of the moonless night. The enemy stilled in reverence before the phantom; a goddess of death amongst gods of war. A second figure appeared beside her and she turned to it.
         “Shall we?” The words left the girl’s mouth dripping with malice. At the question a grin seething with ill-contempt spread across her partner’s features. An instant later the two vanished, and three enemy soldiers fell. They reappeared, bloody blades in hand.
         “Retreat!” The call sounded amongst the enemy troops and they began to pull back. Even as they did, three others advanced toward the two. A man with silver hair and blue eyes attacked Chihiro. The other two attacked her partner.
         Riku, who had his hands full just defending him-self, could only catch glimpses of the battle ensuing between the Colonel and his partner. He could barley hide his concern, but he was having his own difficulties. He ranked the two around first or second lieutenants that specialized in hand to hand combat. His estimation was wrong, and he knew it only when it was too late. The world tilted and he fell into the cold embrace of their illusion.
         Chihiro turned just in time to watch her comrade fall to his knees, and moments later topple blankly to the blood stained ground. Her heart skipped a beat as he fell and froze when she saw one of the illusionists pull a kunai from his pocket and launch himself toward the fallen soldier. She cringed, knowing that even if she moved now she would not make it to him in time to stop the finishing blow. Even with that knowledge she broke contact with her silver haired opponent and rushed to her fallen comrade’s side. She reached him just as the enemy’s kunai pierced his chest. Chihiro grimaced knowing the wound would prove fatal is not treated immediately. A quick toss of three shuriken forced the warrant officer to retreat.
         She reached down and grabbed Riku’s arm hauling him on to her shoulder. Then she threw four kunai, scattering the three advancing soldiers, and jumped back while performing a cloning jutsu. Her three clones leapt forward to meet the approaching enemy while she busied herself with healing Riku. A large gash ripped across her chest and she gasped, glancing up to see that one of her clones had taken a hit from the silver haired soldier. She clenched her teeth and continued working.
         “Riku, you bastard, you better not die on me!” Chihiro cried out desperately as she felt his life force fading. “God damn it! God damn it! Don’t you dare die on me!”
         A cut appeared on her right check but she kept working. She glanced up to see several kunai and shuriken embedded into her clones, glancing down she confirmed that she had injuries to match. With Riku’s life force continuing to fade Chihiro was becoming more and more desperate. One of her clones rushed to block a kunai that had been thrown directly at Chihiro, the kunai wedged it’s self between two of the clones ribs and Chihiro blanched. The clone disappeared in a puff of smoke and Chihiro’s vision blurred as she coughed up blood. She lost focus and lost control of the healing jutsu. Just as the jutsu faded Chihiro felt Riku’s life force slip away.
         “Riku!” Chihiro cried. She threw her self across his chest, tears trailing down her blood splattered face, “You can’t die!! You can’t! RIKU!!!!”
         Seconds passed and Riku’s eyes fluttered open. His Caribbean blue eyes were dazed and unfocused, but the life force behind them was strong. He blinked several times trying to offset the lingering effects of the illusion. When his eyes finally focused on the swimming face before him something akin to surprise registered in his eyes.
         “Chi?” He asked in his surprise and confusion, “Why are you crying?”
         “W-why am I crying!?” Chihiro’s voice grew angry but the tears continued unchecked down her cheeks, “You jerk! Don’t do that to me! I thought I’d lost you!”
         Riku seemed genuinely taken back by this response. Only when Chihiro called him a jerk and hit him did he notice the throbbing Pain in his chest. He glanced down and when he noticed the gash in his uniform he ran his hand wonderingly across it. Then he glanced up to Chihiro questioningly.
         “What’d I miss?” He said truly lost.
         Chihiro blinked several times in shock, and then wiped away the tears left on her cheeks and smiled at Riku, “Oh, nothing much dobe.”
         A sudden call of “we’re ready,” from the enemy lines brought the two back into the battle. Chihiro’s clones disappeared into puffs of smoke and the two climbed to their feet but were surprised when the two illusionists retreated and only the silver haired man remained. They were caught off guard when the man pulled a kunai and scroll from his pocket. They watched motionlessly as he infused the kunai with his aura and dropped it into the ground.
         When the kunai stuck into the ground odd pulsations rippled from it and the two partners found themselves unable to move. The man unrolled the scroll and read from it briefly before dropping it to the ground. It fluttered to the ground with an eerie slowness and just as it thudded softly to the ground the world froze and flashed red.
         Riku glanced around puzzled, he seemed unaffected. He of course looked to the sky that had turned a blood red and shuddered. He opened his mouth to speak but stopped when he noticed movement to his left. He turned curiously to Chihiro who was holding her head with her eyes squinted shut, muttering to herself.
         “Ummm… Chi are you alright?” Riku took a step toward his friend with concern plastered across his features.
         “Make it stop… m-make it stop… my head… it hurts… please… I don’t want to see this… I don’t want to know… Riku… Riku… the voices… they won’t stop…” Chihiro muttered to herself until suddenly she screamed and fell to her knees still clutching franticly at her head. Riku rushed toward her, calling out to her. He reached her just as she went silent and fell forward.
         Riku caught her and as he observed the blood gushing from her various wounds he looked regretful. He looked up searching for the enemy but they had gone, and the sky had returned to a black veil of regret.
                                                  (~)
         A small girl ran down a street vacant of people. She rushed toward tow young boys standing at the other end next to the gated entrance of a large estate. She giggled and waved to the boys. Just as she reached them she tripped and skidded on her belly through the dirt. The two boys rushed toward her.
         Chi! Are you ok?” One of the boys asked in alarm. He spouted spiky silver hair and cerulean blue eyes.
         “Neh-big brother, I’m fine.” The little girl said as she wiped tears from her eyes. She sniffled as she brushed gravel from her bleeding knee.
         “Don’t cry. Just hold on one second and we’ll take you back to the house and get you cleaned up. How’s that sound?” The second boy said gently, this one with short spiky orange hair but like his companion he had deep blue eyes.
         The girl sniffled but nodded, and the elder boy smiled gently at the light blush gracing the orange haired boy’s cheeks. The silver haired boy lifted the small girl into a piggy back ride. The group wake to the gate and the memory faded.
         Another, memory faded into view. Two boys sat on the edge of a small dock, their feet dangling into the clear water below. Small exotic fish swam curious around their toes as they swayed back and forth in the water causing waves, which sent some of the smaller fish tumbling. They were laughing happily together, while a small girl with silver hair trained in the background.
         “Kakashi! Get over here and help me with your idiot sister!” A tall man with black hair that had been training the small girl yelled harshly toward the boys.
         Kakashi sighed and rose slowly to his feet. “Sorry, Ichi, be back in a second.” He muttered unhappily to the other boy. As he approached the two the small girl grew tense. She watched with nervous eyes as Kakashi walked to the man and bowed respectfully.
         “What are you having difficulties with teacher?” Kakashi asked in annoyance.
         “I am sorry to bother you young master, but she isn’t getting any better. I have tried everything but her head is stuck in the clouds.” The man complained.
         “Beat her. If you beat it into her she’ll stop dreaming. That’s what father would want.” Kakashi said coldly. Then he glared at the small girl, who flinched, and said “You may begin.” He stepped to the side and the memory flashed a bloody red.
         The walls of a small room dripped with blood that pooled on the floor. A small teddy bear lay on a child sized bed splattered with blood. A stack of books was scattered across the bloody floor, and a tiny doll house lay splintered and forgotten in the bloody end of its master. A silent scream and the world twisted as a small boy with orange hair fell to his knees in despair.
         Again this memory faded to a new one. The orange haired boy was in a dark cell; his wrists were lashed tightly to a log strewn across his shoulders. He had his head bent and he was on his knees. The cell was small and damp; you could just make out the grayness of the stone walls in the darkness. The soft echoing drip of water was the only sound to remind the boy that he had not lost his sense of hearing entirely.
         Suddenly, light flooded into the room revealing the boy to be kneeling in a pool of his own blood. With the newly added light it was easy to make out the harsh rise and fall of the boys chest in his ragged gasps for air, and the violent shuddering of his body could not all be attributed to the cold. A gapping hole in his chest was the answer to the blood, and the instinctive terror that flared in his dilated eyes was the reason for his trembling.
         “Ichigo!” A sliver haired boy not much older than the other ran to him.
         “Kakashi! Help me!” The orange haired boy pleaded. Kakashi untied Ichigo’s arms and he fell forward. Kakashi held the small trembling form of his friend as he watched the light in his eyes fade to darkness.

         Ichigo’s eyes snapped open and he was panting in a cold sweat. Calling for his assistants he tried desperately to calm the quailing storm of panic rising in his chest. As the apprentices entered the room they looked disconcerted by they’re leaders sudden lack of composer, “Sir, what is it?” Ichigo dismissed their looks and gasped out franticly, “Get me a Major. Now!” Ichigo’s scar flared in blinding pain and the walls began to swirl before him.
         As Kakashi entered the room ushered by a young PFC the only thing he saw was the unnaturally pale features of his child hood friend sway and begin to fall. He rushed to his leader and caught him moments before he hit the floor. Holding him in his arms he pulled him close, trying to ease his pain.
         Ichigo looked up through blurred vision to see the concerned face of his dearest friend. “Kakashi…” he managed to whimper.
“Ichi! What’s wrong!? Ichi, just hang on it’ll be ok just hold on! Ichigo! Ichigo!” The desperate calls of his friend were the last thing Ichigo heard before the darkness sealed his mind.
                                                      (~)
         StarFire walked slowly through two large mahogany doors and was greeted by the smiling face of a younger girl. She had bouncy red hair that flowed in curls over her shoulders and emerald green eyes, that starkly contrasted the short black hair with frosted blue tips and grey eyes that StarFire sported. The girl ran to her friend taking her hands and spinning her around.
         “Jen! Who’s grumpy; I heard you tried to eat Charlie. I don’t think that’d be very good for your physic, didn’t you mom put you on a new diet. Said you were getting fat right?” The bouncy girl spoke in an elegantly feminine voice, but the words rushed from her mouth a bit too quickly.
         “Really now Riki, I didn’t try to eat him, and I’m not fat. Any way, how did it go with the Cardinal? StarFire replied a bit exasperated by her hyperactive friend.
         “Neh- well he lectured me as usual. He said that as an Arch Bishop I should have more control, and shouldn’t be so reckless. You know the usual spiel. I told him what I always do; I can’t get any better if he won’t let me train. I can’t help it if I got too much spirit energy, it’s not my fault.” Riki rocked back and forth on her feet, as she tried to give her report to her elder friend, “Blagh, what does it matter though, with the, oh so great Patriarch StarFire Jennifer Megami as my best friend, I’m sure I’ll never be thrown in the ganny.”
         “That may not be true my friend, I have received orders from the Pope.” Jen said with mild concern flashing across her face.
         “Oooooh, really? Sounds serious! You must spill!” Riki said bouncing up and down.
         “Jeez, can’t you calm down for more than three seconds?” Jen let out a mock sigh, “He and I had a discussion about you and your powers today. He suggested that it does not look good for the Vatican to be associated with the destruction of a large area that results in the subtle extinction of at least three species. I must say that I agree, it must really be agitation the masses if the pope himself is getting involved. His orders were quite simple: if you lose it again I am to immediately seal your powers. I imagine if this happens your mother will banish you as a disgrace. You have very few options, in order to help you I have requested and been granted permission to train you myself.”
         “Y-y-you… what!” Riki stammered in shock and then quickly grew angry, “That’s what he thinks! And you agreed! Well excuse me, have you forgotten it was him who made me this way!”
         “Please calm down Riki. I am well aware of that, but even still you can not blame him or me for our legitimate concerns. If you keep this up, all our territory will be barren waist land and even our Bishops will be unable to repair the damage.” Jen was unfazed by her bouncy friend’s sudden lack of cheerfulness.
         “Neh-I get it. I get it. That doesn’t make it any easier though.” Riki said her smile sliding back into place but appearing slightly strained this time.
         Jen smiled and grabbed her friend’s wrist, yanking her along behind her. They dodged through corridors lined with expensive paintings and large mirrors. Every now and then the two had to swerve to avoid bowing servants. The floors were wood with a red carpet stretched down the center and the walls were red as well, it made every corridor imposing, but the two young girls rushed through them oblivious to the imposing atmosphere.
         Finally they skidded out into an open courtyard. It was cold now and the stars were hidden by grey lumpy clouds. The tow giggled fervently for a few minutes and then set about gossiping. They sat on the edge of the fountain as they discussed matters of great importance: the hottest boys, the newest couples, and even the latest banishments. The girls giggled away any tension left from earlier as they set about their whisper campaign covered oh, so subtly by the splashing of the fountain. The two talked merrily and the grayness of the sky faded into black with time.
         Suddenly, the sky flashed red and Riki was startled to her feet. She glanced around franticly until her eyes landed on her companion. Jen was still sitting by the fountain, but now her eyes were wide with shock and she was gasping for breath. She starred into oblivion and Riki made to move for her but started when her friend screamed and passed out, falling into the fountain with a splash as servants came rushing from the house.
                                                    (~)
Dustin glanced up from his cleaning as his roommate hobbled into the room. He flashed him a trademark smile before returning to his work. He wondered idly why the boy was limping, but knew better than to ask. He finished his chore quickly as the other boy scribbled quick notes while speed reading a thick book. The two finished their individual tasks at about the same time and smiled casually at each other.
         “I heard about your big shown down at the training grounds.” The other boy commented.
         “Really? Don’t suppose you got to see any of it?” Dustin flopped down on the others bed, which happened to be closest to the desk.
         “No, teacher had me doing drills again.” Kai heaved a huge sigh as he closed his book, tucking his papers safely beneath the cover.
         “What’d you do this time?” Dustin asked knowing that in the end it had probably been a mistake unworthy of punishment.
         “I flubbed a summoning.” Kai said growing gloomy.
         “What kind of summoning?” Dustin asked out of pure curiosity.
         “A nether demon.” The other boy’s voice cracked a bit at this. He grew very stiff waiting to be scolded.
         “Oh? Which one?” One would have expected Dustin to grow angry at this admission but, to his credit, he remained rather calm.
         “Meargaku.” The word gloom practically splayed it’s self across Kai’s forehead.
         “Well… What do you want me to say?” Dustin blinked several times.
         “Uhhh, that I’m stupid? That you’re mad? I don’t know something at least,” Kai’s gloom was fast growing into exasperation. “Ugh-never mind if you’re not mad then it’s fine.”
         “Botching a master summoning is by no means fine, but I don’t know why you think I’d be mad.” Dustin smiled.
         The two burst into sudden laughter at the thought that they, the two firebrands of the academy, had just carried out what could be considered a serious conversation. Not only that, but it had lasted more than thirty seconds, kudos to the boys. Their laughter was short lived, about a few moments of bliss between the two before Mike and Savo burst into the room. Dustin and Kai flung them selves to their feet, standing ridged trying desperately not to show their surprise at the interruption.
         “Which one of you nitwits done it!?” Savo’s word splattered in the two young boys’ faces and they instinctively flinched back.
         “Done what? Really now my Russian oaf you’ll have to be more literate then that to impress us.” Dustin chuckled glancing to Mike, expecting his teacher to fill in the gaps left by the now gaping Russian instructor.
         “Are you seriously telling me that we’re experiencing Armageddon and the two of you are oblivious to the situation? I thought that you two at least had some brains. We don’t have time to play games; you have to the count of three to remove the illusion before I strip both of you of your powers.” Mike looked agitated but noted the surprise on the young Apprentice’s faces at his words. He also found it slightly bemusing when the two boys rushed to the window and gasped at the red sky.
         “Really now teach, you should know better. If I was gana do something like this I’d have been out side to observe the eruption of hysteria amongst the ignorant masses. But, honestly, we didn’t do this.” Dustin said, silently applauding who ever had.
         The two instructors glanced at each other internally admitting that the boy had a valid point. His pranks in the past had never gone this far, and it was well known that the two were apposed to causing a disruption in their own training. A red sky would defiantly be classified as a disruption. They would have left the room then and there, if not for the sudden reaction from Dustin. He froze and grasped at his chest heaving desperately for breath. Mike made to move for his young apprentice in concern but Kai beat him to it, grabbing Dustin’s shoulders and shaking him violently.
         “Hey! Hey! What the hell’s wrong with you?” Kai billowed at his companion.
         Dustin smacked away Kai and backed into the wall. He was shivering and staring into a nothingness only he could see. The three spectators were shocked to see his sudden loss of composure, he was young, but it was well understood that the Meargaku survivor did not falter. Just as sudden as his episode had begun, it ended, with Dustin collapsing to the floor in a small heap.
                                                      (~)
TBC

© Copyright 2008 Nayami Houkou (nayamihoukou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1496742-Five-Ways-to-Hope