*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497126-Crescent-Moon
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1497126
Part of a moon was falling down the west, Dragging the whole sky with it to the hills
PROLOGUE
Claire Markins?

Knock! Knock!
I wonder if anybody’s home. It’s heavily raining outside, I need a shelter.
Knock! Knock!
The door began to open, the old sleepy man in front of me yawned with surprise. I was already going to budge the door open.
“Excuse me? Are you lost young lady? Do you know what time is it?---“ He looked irritated.
I interrupted him from his various questions. “Yes, I know... I called from the MT Realtor of the farm located south side of this village and---“
He interrupted me, too. “Oh.” His voice suddenly full of enthusiasm. “Claire Markins? Why, why didn’t you say so? Come on in!”
He almost yanked me inside and pushed me on a chair, which happened just for a few seconds. I was locked stiff. Is this guy going to threat me?
“I was just wondering about the farm...---“I started, unsure of what I’ll say.
“Yes, Yes” He sat down on the table. “The MT Realtor told me about you, by the way” He took time to straighten his pajamas. “I’m the mayor of the town, Thomas’s the name.” He flashed a wide grin.
I smiled. “Nice to meet you, too, Mayor Thomas.”
Then his face began to look serious. “I believe I was told that you would be coming five in the afternoon, but it’s already eleven?”
“Oh about that... I just finished some papers about my resignation and it took a long time to convince my boss. Sorry to cause trouble.”
“That’s alright. Now, where’s your baggage?”
My eyes widen with horror. “Holy Shit!! I totally forgot!”
The mayor frowned. “Pardon?”
I rushed through the corridor and jerked the door open, and found my baggage soaking wet.
“Oh no....” I buried my face in my hands. “So stupid of me....”
“Oh my...” He took it inside, his wooden floor flooded. I sat down on the chair, embarrassed.
He looked at the baggage with disapproval, thinking about something.
“I’ll let you borrow Harris’ clothes for the night.” I watched him vanished in to a room, heard cabinet closing sounds, and he appeared again, hands on few clothes that is 2x the size of me.
He handed them to me.
“There. Now I’ll take you to your new home.” He smiled again and I quickly imitated it. I’ve caused enough trouble for today....
On the way to the farm, as we walk, I noticed there are few houses built on the side. Thomas said they’re only few who live here in Mineral Town and visitors seldom visit, maybe once a year. Or if by chance, missing; that’s why he asked me earlier if I was only lost here. He also said the town’s happy to add another villager here, and I was flattered. Before going here, I’ve had enough trouble for my boss. He was crying and pleading for me to stay, but I said that I’ll be happy and that’s what convinces him to sign the papers that had been lying on his desk for about seven hours. He said that I have been his only close friend, and I felt a cringe in my heart as he said that. I feel the same also, but I wanted to try something new for my life. And besides, I’m not getting any younger; twenty two is a good age to start a new route for me and seek a better living.
I hadn’t realized that we stopped in a certain threshold as Thomas announced, “Welcome to your new farm, Claire.”
I looked up; this is not what I had in mind.

CHAPTER ONE
Memories

Is this really it?, “...Really?”
“Yes, what else do you think?”
“I just thought it would be something much livelier than... this.” I looked down, shy for my complaint, but I can’t help but to say it.
“Oh.” He looked apologetic. “I’m sorry. I still haven’t told you.” I thought I heard him gulp down. “The MT Realtor wrote something more than what is to expect, to make it look appealing because people seldom want to live in a farm... so... that.”
I looked around the farm once again. “...Oh. Is that so...”
But, as I my eyes roam, I noticed that the farm is not that bad. The cabin beside the farm’s fence is quite livable to me and the land is so wide.
I roamed around. Looking, examining, and searching through. The mayor’s face was puzzled, but I ignored him. The moonlight’s solemn presence, the sounds of the flowing water, and the little buzzing of the night creatures, all blend in the tranquility of the place and yet, it seemed disturbing to me. I felt uneasiness rush through my blood, as if though my knees will bend any time now. Then, it was not before long I realized what is it that made me uncomfortable. It was like the same scene, same feeling, somewhere inside the parts of my past.
I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts as it start building in my head. I closed my eyes tightly and inhaled. Then, I faced the mayor with my whole decision.
“I’m going to take it.”
He smiled.
I finally exhaled.
“Okay, so as of today, you’re a permanent resident of Mineral Town. Sleep first tonight, I bet you’re very tired from your trip. Just sign the papers tomorrow for immigration” He said.
I nodded.
It was when I was inside my new cabin that I realized I was soaked wet from the rain. I threw chopped woods lying on the side of the fireplace into it and took time to feel the heat before changing my clothes. My things are all wet inside my baggage. I hanged it as near as possible from the fireplace to dry. I was really tired from the journey that I don’t even have the time to dream. And when I opened my eyes, the first dawn I saw welcomed me.
© Copyright 2008 Dahliane Wilberne (dahliane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497126-Crescent-Moon