*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497962-Menacing-MetropolisMajestic-Cityscape
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1497962
Two similar views of the same urban setting.
Forming some of the most conspicuous aspects of the immense city were towering skyscrapers, dim streetlights, and crumbling concrete sidewalks. With shadows enveloping every corner, walking down these streets alone would not be a wise decision. Blaring, loud music can be heard for as far as one block, upsetting those still unaccustomed to the daily disturbance. The substandard 24-hour store past the corner is barely lit by ancient fluorescent lights just about ready to burn out. Pollution creates a musk consuming the atmosphere, destroying all natural products of the Earth. Strong, lingering odors of recently smoked cigarettes seem as if they were part of the air, being inhaled into lungs more often than pure oxygen, the tainted nicotine replacing the actual cells. Cold, chilly air blows along, with its empowering breath containing more than enough force to knock over and tumble a minority of trees; it speaks a language of destruction, destroying anything in its path that can be barreled down. Bare twigs snap as crumpled brown leaves scatter to the ground, only to be whisked away by the wind within a moment of contact of the hard ground. A loud crash echoing from a darkened alleyway alerts anyone nearby enough to hear it, the hollow sound of battered aluminum trashcans hitting the pavement harshly. Darkness dawns over the menacing metropolis, dominating longer than the fleeting sunlight.

------------------------------------------------------------

Noticeable because of its majestic, well-defined skyline formed by its grand skyscrapers, the city gathers in brilliant sights. Whenever light hits these towering glass structures, they sparkle like crystals; it is a sight surely to turn heads and blind sight, yet too stunning to turn any eyes away. Intricate iron streetlamps direct a dim glow among the sidewalks, a bright light unnecessary because of the illuminating gleam of the full moon. Bright red, flaming orange and golden yellow colors spread all around when a swift breeze lifts up a mountain of fallen autumn leaves. Neon shop signs and music escaping from a nearby nightclub represent clear signs of the social scene, a favorable feature attracting the masses, with chatty crowds readying themselves for wonders inside. Chirping crickets emit the feeling that although surrounded by buildings, nature is still a welcome neighbor. Soft whispers flowing on the breeze seem as gentle as a graceful stream, traveling along smoothly, caressing dewy blades of grass. Subtle toned shades paint the buildings in muted colors, accentuating the dazzling lights shining through curtained windows of high-rise apartments. To those who choose to admire it, a granite statue depicting a water spouting fish has long been abandoned, yet it remains as an eternal work of art. Elegant moonlight dances across the empty streets in fluid movements, gliding through the silence of the great city.
© Copyright 2008 XxAnimeChick (xxanimechick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1497962-Menacing-MetropolisMajestic-Cityscape