*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1498016-The-toughest-test
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #1498016
A true story about making tough decisions.
“So will you do it?” he asked.



Honestly, I was not in the mood at that moment. I had not slept for weeks preparing for my final exams. Nigel (name changed to protect identity) stood there waiting for my decision. I did not want to say no but what he asked me to do was just not right.



I could not let him cheat by copying my geography paper. It just would not be fair. I had worked so hard until I was sure I could obtain an A for this test while he lazed.



But Nigel was one of my closest friends. We both shared the same interests including reading fantasy novels. Sometimes, we would reenact some of the scenes in these books in fantasy role playing games. Occasionally, we lent each other books that we found were fascinating.



How do I get myself out of this mess, I thought to myself? I would not be a good friend if I did nor help him out. But if I did, it would go against all my principles.



There were only a few minutes left before the test started. I had a sudden notion of telling on Nigel but I did not have the guts to do it. The only thing I could do was to refuse his request.



“Okay, I’ll do it,” I said. The words in my mouth slipped out. I couldn’t fathom why I said that. However, the damage was done. Nigel was already walking back to his seat grinning like a Cheshire cat.



I sat at my desk, twiddling my thumbs. The test had not begun yet. I glanced nervously behind me. Nigel flashed me a thumbs-up sign. Filled with trepidation, I nevertheless forced a grin on my face. What was I to do? It was too late to turn back.



Finally the moment we had all been waiting for arrived. The teacher passed us the exam papers. The exam hall was silent as we started to answer the questions given.



The questions were fairly easy and I answered each one in quick succession. Weeks of burning the midnight oil had paid off, I thought to myself. I was so caught up with the test, I forgot entirely about my deal with Nigel.



Half and hour before the test ended, a small eraser hit the back of my head. I did not have to look back to know it was Nigel. I realized that I had forgotten about our deal. I stared at my answer sheet, contemplating all the disastrous consequences that should befall me if I let him take a peek.



Five minutes later, I made my decision. A good friend would not let his or her buddy do something that was not right. Besides, if he really were a true friend, he would understand and respect my decision of not letting him cheat on my exam paper.



Finally, it was over. Nigel walked over with a wide grin on his face. Immediately, my face went white with shock. Oh no, I thought to myself. Did I let him cheat by accident?





“Man, that paper was easy,” Nigel said. I think he must have noticed the blood draining from my face. He continued, “Didn’t you feel my eraser hit the back of your head? I was trying to call the deal off. Then I noticed you did not let your answers show so I thought you knew,”



The blood slowly returned to my face. I heaved a sigh of relief and began explaining to Nigel. He listened for a moment and then proceeded to drag me out of my seat, out of the exam hall and into the sunshine.



I learnt a very important lesson that day. Nigel and I walked out of the school compound discussing a book that we had both read. Nothing more was said about cheating ever again.

© Copyright 2008 Eloise L.Y.Y. (eloiselyy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1498016-The-toughest-test