*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499686-The-Heart-And-Soul-Of-The-City
Rated: E · Fiction · Entertainment · #1499686
An introspective piece about the superhero guardian of a city.
It hadn't rained in three days in Woodstone, so Twilight was standing in his favoured spot on the balcony like ledge around the roof of the Deacon Company's tower. He swept his gaze steadily around the city that he watched so faithfully each night. A silent guardian of a silent home for thousands of innocent people. And many, far more sinister, denizens.

The spell over his mind twinged and he felt the pain of a pregnant woman on the corner of Samuel street. A mugging or so it seemed to her. He dived off the roof into the cold night air without thought, acting on swift reflex. His shadow cloaked around his shoulders like stiff, unyielding wings. The chill of winter held no sway over his thoughts as he swooped down, from what felt like the clouds themselves, landing gently on his feet with quiet grace behind the terrified woman.

The mugger saw this enormous, shadowy figure land behind his intended victim and his heart skipped. His feet rooted to the spot, his arms sagged till Twilight sneered in evident disgust. The look of fury on his face was enough to wipe the mugger's mind of anything but running, as fast and far as he could.

The intended victim cringed still, holding up an arm to shield her face from a savage blow. It never came. Hearing hurried retreat, she slowly lowered the arm, looking for her attacker or an explanation as to his sudden mercy. There was nothing but the rapidly retreating man she had cowered from only moments ago. And a breeze behind her.

She twisted to look back, wide eyes searching the shadows but seeing only bricks and mortar. A chill ran down her spine and she bit her lip nervously. She fled the alley and headed home as swiftly as her legs could carry her.

She had stared right through Twilight with the unseeing eyes of the innocent. Her crimes, if any, were not his purpose here. So she was allowed her piece of mind, and would only remember that tonight she had been spared a terrible fate. That was Twilight's task and he was glad of it.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
© Copyright 2008 Karl Jagheim (karljagheim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499686-The-Heart-And-Soul-Of-The-City