*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499951-Black-Friday-Lines
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1499951
Why a man would stand in line on Black Friday (entry for Writer's Cramp contest - 11/28)
When my husband told me that he was going to go stand in line for some great deal on Black Friday, I thought that he had totally lost his mind! We had never done that in the past and it had been my plan to never do something like that. I hated the crowds.

I looked at him and said, “Do whatever you want. However, you’re on your own!” Then I turned and walked away.

Shrugging, he grabbed his coat and walked out the door. What surprised me more than anything was that his favorite football team was warming up on the field right now and he left knowing he wouldn’t be able to watch the game.

“Wow, whatever it is he’s going for, it must be really big!” I thought. I then turned and flipped off the TV. I glanced up at the clock and noted it was 6 pm. The stores didn’t open up for at least another 12 hours! He really was insane!

*****

When Alex arrived at the store, he parked his car and walked over to join the line of other hopeful buyers already in place. He pulled his warmest coat around him a bit tighter and stood there. Looking at the faces around him, he saw all kinds of people. Ones with bright hopeful faces. Ones with tight, pinched faces that spoke of greed. “Those are the ones hoping to grab the latest thing and sell them on eBay,” he thought. Shaking his head, he turned to the person who had just joined the line behind him.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” the man replied before flipping on his little hand held TV. He was soon engrossed in what he was seeing. The sounds of a football game drifted towards Alex and he wished that he could get closer to see which game the man was watching.

“Which game is that?” Alex asked.

“Vikings,” the man grunted, never taking his eyes off of the screen. He ignored the other team, so Alex knew that he only cared about the Vikings.

With a grin, he asked, “Is it possible for you to turn it up a little so I can hear it?”

The man looked at him in surprise, noticed the Vikings coat for the first time, and grinned. “Sure.” So together, they stood there and watched the Vikings game. With the discovery that they both loved the same team in Bronco Country, they became fast friends. For the rest of the night, they did various things for each other. One would run off for drinks and snacks at the local convenience store while the other held his place. They did the same when one had to run to the restroom. It was a quick, yet strong, friendship when most only cared about themselves and what they were there to buy.

The next morning, when the doors were about to open, they each thanked the other and prepared to enter to buy what they’d come for.

After coming out of the store pushing a cart with a large box in it, Alex headed to his car and loaded up his purchase into the back seat. Looking at it one more time, he grinned and shut the door. At home, he proceeded to hide the box in the garage. It wouldn’t do for it to be seen. If it was, then it would be immediately recognized for what it was.

He then walked into the house and collapsed in bed. He and his new friend had talked the night away about football and other things they’d found they’d had in common. Luckily the weather had been unseasonably warm. His heavy coat had been all he’d needed. However, sleep was needed now.

*****

On Christmas morning, Alex came up from the garage with a huge grin on his face. I could tell this was the gift he’d gone out and stood in line for all night long on Black Friday. He’d been excited all month long. I’d found it rather funny, actually. Now was finally the time to see what he had gone off to buy.

It was obvious that it was heavy as he entered the door. Immediately, the kids surrounded him. All of the other gifts had already been opened and they wanted to know if the box was for them.

He told them laughing, “No. It’s not for you. It’s for Mom.” With that, they tumbled back to their places to watch Mom open up her present.

I was shocked. I didn’t realize that he’d been gone all that night for something for me! I had thought it was some annoying electronic doodad for the kids.

When he sat the box in front of me, I looked up at him. He was grinning from ear to ear and said, “Well, open it!” He was practically bouncing he was so excited.

I reached over and started taking off the paper. My eyes got bigger and bigger as I saw what was inside. It was the Janome embroidery machine I’d been wanting for some time now. I had just kept telling myself ‘no’ because it was so expensive. I could see that buying it on Black Friday, if there was a great deal, would bring it into our price range.

All I could do was sit there with a goofy grin on my face and tears in my eyes. I then jumped up and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“It was important enough to miss your favorite team for. Thank you!!”

He gave me a sheepish grin and then told me how he’d met a nice guy behind him in line who had allowed him to watch the game with him. I just laughed and remembered that he had walked out on his game not knowing if he’d get to see it. To me, that was important and showed me how important I was to him.
© Copyright 2008 Erin J. Roberts (sldrsprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1499951-Black-Friday-Lines