*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500362-MacGregor-the-Winter-Jacket
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by 2tees
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1500362
The life of a jacket from the jackets eyes.
Hello, I am MacGregor; I was made in the early summer with thousands of brothers. I am a unique winter jacket. I have a nylon lining and fleece insert.  Inside the curled collar is a hidden nylon hood the wearer can wear and then fold and put back in the collar when inclement weather is over. The outside of the jacket is a dark green color that looks like a short curly furry coat. However, it is made of nylon not animal fur. I am one hundred percent washable.

I was made in a plant in Atlanta Georgia. I am proud to wear the label, “made in the USA”. Now my brothers cannot wear this label. In the fall of that year the owners of the plant moved the plant and equipment to Taiwan. I heard it was because of the high cost of labor. The owners sent a proposal to the union and the union rejected the offer. After that the plant was closed and all the equipment was moved to Taiwan. It was a shame all the workers had to find new careers after that move.

Back to my story, I laid around in the factory until the end of August. At that time me and four brothers, size 36, size 40, size 42, and size 44 were packed into a box and was shipped to the J. C. Penny store in the Villa Italia shopping center in Lakewood. They unpacked us and put us on hangers and hung us on a large rack with hundreds of jackets from different plants and many features unique to them. I am just amazed at the number of different choices the American shopper has.

I was tried on many times by many different people. Every time I was put back on the rack. Three of my brothers were sold. Size 36 and I were the only ones left. Then around the first part of November J. C. Penny’s really hurt me. They put on the rack of coats a sign stating, half-off of shown price. This devastated me, this means my value went from $39.95 to less than twenty dollars, how humiliating, and I am worth more than this.

I was hanging on the rack for a couple of weeks and then this tall slim young man came up and looks at my brother, size 36. He tries on size 36 and then hangs him up back on the rack. He then tries on me. He looks in the mirror, turns around and looks at the back. He tries my zipper and removes the hood from my collar. No one has ever spent this much time checking me out. To my surprise I am taken over to the cashier. Is this young man going to purchase me? Sure enough, he takes out his credit card and buys me. I see from his credit card that is name is Tom. I now have a new owner.

The next three years were good. In the winter I went many places. I was worn all during the winter and I kept Tom very warm. During the summer I was placed way back in the closet to rest. When it started to cool off in the fall I was pulled back out of the back of the closet and put into service and kept Tom warm when he was outside. Unfortunately, this only lasted three years. On the fourth year I spent the winter stuck back in the back of the closet. The fifth winter and the sixth winter were the same. This is beginning to feel like solitary confinement. Did Tom replace me with another jacket?

I was snoozing near the end of May and I heard some rustling. Tom brought me out of the back of the closet.  Wow! That sun is really bright. What is going on? The temperature is pretty warm. Why did Tom bring me out this time of year? I was thrown in the trunk of the car with some funny looking equipment and some of it really had a strange odor. After a couple of hours Tom opened the trunk and took out the equipment with me. I have become a part of Tom’s fishing gear.

There are many fishing memories I have acquired. For example, I remember when Tom was fishing on the Colorado River and it was drizzling a little. When Tom fished the Colorado River he would use some kind of bug he would get from under river rocks. Tom was fishing this rolling piece of the river and wham, this fish struck his bait. Tom set the hook and the fish jumped out of the water. Wow! That fish must have been over ten pounds. Tom was really getting excited. I could feel his heart pounding on my lining. Tom was fighting the fish and being very careful reeling in that gigantic fish. All of a sudden the fish line became loose. The fish was lost. What happened? Tom reeled in the line and discovered the hook was missing and half of the leader was missing. Speculation is that the nylon fishing line should be replaced every year and the line just broke because the line was a couple of years old. This was a lesson learned the hard way.

Another great memory happened when Tom was at a lake near Laramie Wyoming. There was a cool breeze blowing off of the lake. This was a lake where only flies and artificial lures were allowed. Tom had a wooly worm fly on his line. He cast out the fly and wham! This large rainbow struck that wooly worm fly. The rainbow trout jumped a couple of times and it looked gigantic. After ten minutes of battle, Tom was able to get this fish in his net. This fish weighed over five pounds, what a prize. Jack, Tom’s fishing buddy came over to see what kind of lure Tom was using and saw that funny looking wooly worm fly and commented, “could he use the other sleeve of Tom’s coat.” I must admit that the fly did look very similar to my sleeve, only smaller. Tom made the comment that this was the largest fish he had ever caught.

The next couple of summer months were great. Tom took me fishing many times during the summer and on occasion we went ice fishing during the winter. I could not stay in the closet anymore because I was dirty and smelled like salmon eggs. Now, I had to stay in the garage with his fishing gear. The garage just was not as comfortable as that warm closet. 

Then Tom met this woman. His interest in fishing suddenly diminished. He began spending more and more time with this woman. Hormones finally won. Tom got married and fathered two sons in the next three years. Family life became very important to Tom. Another factor was the Arab oil embargo. The high costs of fuel made Tom think twice before he invested in a fishing trip. Jack, Tom’s fishing buddy became very sick and passed on after a long illness. All of these events made fishing lose its appeal.

I spent many years hanging in the garage and the only exciting think happened was when a moth flew around looking for a meal to eat. Many landed on me and then realized I was nylon and polyester, not cotton. The moths did not find my fabric very tasty. It may have been the fishy smell too. 

One day Tom took me off the hook threw me in the washing machine with some soap and washed me. He could have used some warm water. That cold wash cycle sure was uncomfortable. He could have dried me in the dryer. No, he hung me on a hanger and I had to drip dry in the cold breeze. Before I know it I was thrown in a large box with hundreds of other coats. I was part of a winter coat drive the church had for the homeless and poor.

This homeless man reached in the box and grabbed me. He didn’t care what I looked like or even if I fit. I never knew his name. He lived under a bridge on the banks of the Platte River. He was more interested in that spirit in the bottle that he always carried with him. Many times he left me lying on the banks of the Platte River. If he remembered where I was he would pick me up and wear me for a while.  He sure did stink. I would take the smell of salmon eggs any day.

One day I was lying on the bank close to the river. There was a storm up stream and the river started to rise from the runoff. The river started to get closer and closer. I started to get wet and finally the current of the river grabbed me. I started to float down the river. It was a struggle to stay afloat. I was beginning to really get soaked. I finally had to succumb to the weight of my wetness and sank to the floor of the river. I was rolling along the bottom of the river and I became snagged in a submerged tree branch. I was never seen again. 


© Copyright 2008 2tees (tomtreloar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1500362-MacGregor-the-Winter-Jacket