*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501848-The-Watchmaker
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1501848
A story about a girl and a watchmaker.
I'm writing this letter to you, because I know I can trust you to keep it close to your heart. If you were me, I hope you would like to share a similar story. I'm not sure where to begin...

Do you know a watchmaker? Of course you do. But have you ever watched one? It's a curious sight, something I will remember forever. He was the same age as myself, but he knew much more about the world I think. Any time I watched him working, I was always entranced. His hands working so quickly, so delicately. If he wanted to, he could crush the face of the watch between his index finger and thumb. Watchmaking was his ultimate truth.

"Time," he told me, "is an absolute truth. As sure as this wrinkle forms in my brow, so is the reality that time is passing us by." Always watching him, I kept quiet most of the time, gaining confidence. Through imagined scenarios. Unfortunately that confidence, when used, was quickly expended.

"I think you're handsome," I said as proudly as I could manage. He didn't even look up from his work. He simply said, "You are too young." It was enough that I even said that; his response was devastating. My face was beet red, I'm sure. I simply whispered good bye and rode my bicycle home. I had to keep the skirt of my dress between my legs for fear of it getting caught in the back tire. It has happened before. I fell off my bike, scraped my knees, tore my skirt. Luckily, he was walking by. He came up to me, looked at knees, my skirt, my face. He then proceeded to pick me up, holding me like a baby.....holding me like the baby he thought I was. At this thought, I grew angry. Angry, and embarrassed.

I said to him, "Put me down," I didn't even look up at him. He stopped walking and tried to look at me, but I always turned away. "It's no trouble." I didn't care. "Please put me down."

And so he did.

We headed to his shop, though I stayed in front of him, keeping my eyes on the ground, watching the tear drops fall down. It was another reason why I loved him. Despite the way he seemed on the outside, few things were kept in his heart. And I was one of them. After a while, I slowed down, allowing him to catch up with me. I then wrapped my arms around his left arm and we continued walking in this manner. It has been my favorite day of my entire life. Even though I get to see his beautiful face day in and day out, that day means something to me that I want you to one day be able to understand.

I hope you, my friend, will find a reason to smile again.
© Copyright 2008 rosesinyourcheeks (eccentricoz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501848-The-Watchmaker