*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501862-Go-your-own-way
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1501862
A little bit of fantasy.
It was always the first signs of light that woke her up. She could feel the sun warming her face, which meant it was time to start her day. She yawned, and rolled over, staring at the blades of grass so close to her face and felt sorry for the ones she was crushing. She stretched for a bit, then looked around her. She was lucky to find such a quiet place. Once she got up, she went around searching for the biggest branch she could find. Well, maybe something moderately thick, and relatively straight. Luckily she found one after ten minutes; it usually took her much longer than that. From her pocket she pulled a knife longer than the size of her palm, and began to carve away at one end of the stick. As she did this, she reminisced about the days she went fishing with her older brother. Before the world crumbled before its own power. She was a pretty good fisher for a girl, but her brother was the world's best. She remembered his black fishing pole, because it was simple and got the job done. He never bothered with anything fancy, and he did just as fine. But no one made fishing poles anymore.

After making a nice, sharp point, she headed for the stream. This was the reason why she took shelter in this area. It had been awhile since she'd eaten anything in terms of meat, and her stomach felt just a little empty. She checked her bag the night before, and noticed she was running low on bread, among other things. It was rightfully decided that she would fish in the morning, and then try to cook it and save it as long as her stomach could handle it.

The stream was crystal clear, which surprised her. Most of the streams she'd been finding lately had been previously visited, and promptly desecrated. All kinds of metal and trash would be lingering near the edge, and floating on by. She would sigh in disappointment, then gather some water for future drinking. Of course, she'd boil the water beforehand. But this stream, she could see the fish swimming by, unawares of their lives ending so soon, writhing on the point of her makeshift pole. After catching ten meager fish, she set herself to scaling the fish, and saving what little meat she could. She emptied her bag of the bread crumbs, then wrapped the fish in it, and headed back to her camp. She set her bag down, then walked up to the trees, looking carefully at each one. One tree in particular had a horizontal slash, with two smaller ones, above and below it. She smiled, then grabbed at the air below her, a motorcycle materializing before her eyes. That sheet was the most valuable thing she carried on her person, aside from the motorcycle, and a bow she acquired a while back.

Ever since the government announced their plans to leave this world in search for a better one, the entire of mankind broke into mayhem. Many people stayed, while naturally many more left. There was a great need for money, because only the most privileged were allowed to leave. Some families fell into bankruptcy, while others killed their own over the greed. Most of the production of anything metal stopped, in order to build suitable shuttles for normal people to travel in space. Most luxury and leisure things like cars, and guns, fishing poles and jewelry. Her own motorcycle was something like a gift from someone she once knew dearly, as was the cloaking sheet, because no doubt if she left her motorcycle unattended, it would be gone faster than she knew it. Because the production of anything metal nearly stopped, the price of everything shot up greatly, and only those leaving this world were able to afford them. She didn't have the money to leave, but she honestly felt with most of the people gone who went through the trouble of leaving, their world WOULD be the better place. The ones who killed their own, who stole from their companies, using others to get what they wanted, those people made their world a bad place to live in. Now that they were gone....it seemed this place might be more suitable. Now she rode around looking for people, for anyone who had the same thoughts as her own...and maybe she could start her own life.
© Copyright 2008 rosesinyourcheeks (eccentricoz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501862-Go-your-own-way