*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501869-Sweet-days-of-summer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1501869
a bit of realization.
My head was pounding as I lay on the blue mat. All three inches of it meant a world of difference from excruciating pain, to this somewhat softer landing. There was a saying I heard once, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall." I weigh 125, and damn. I might as well weigh 325.

"You must like the view," was the voice of the hand before my eyes. I smiled dryly as I took hold of it. I imagined I was floating for those few seconds my master lifted me to my feet.

"Let's try this again," he said as assumed the stance once more. I also heard that if you're left without one of you five senses, the other four are heightened. I assumed the same stance, then closed my eyes, and listened. I heard him breathing softly, and full of purpose. Then a sharp intake of air, the slight rustle of clothing; I opened my eyes. With less than a second to spare, I blocked and countered, bringing him to the ground. It was sloppy, but it happened. This time it was my hand offered, but he jumped quickly to his feet. Still he bowed before me.

"Progress is slow...but you surprised me. Go home, and we'll meet again, tomorrow."

I nodded my approval, then bowed back, before going to change. The entire time, I played that scene in my mind. I couldn't believe it worked, yet I wondered where I could make improvement. Don't close your eyes. Close your eyes, and wait for that breath, don't wait for him to move. Or maybe you're not made for this. But he told me to come back tomorrow, so it must be good for something.

With duffel bag in tow, I left the brick building to walk the short distance home. The sun was just beginning to set, my favorite time of day. I noticed a couple of bruises forming on my arms and wondered if I should wear a long sleeved shirt. People might think my boyfriend to be abusive. Maybe if they ask, I'll say yes just to get them going. My humor is strange like that. I shook my head at my shortcomings.

I unlocked the door to my small apartment room, and was greeted by the same off colored carpet, dull colored walls, and the red LED light that told me I had messages. I pressed the play button, then fell onto the couch. It was then I realized something funny: I don't even have a boyfriend.
© Copyright 2008 rosesinyourcheeks (eccentricoz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501869-Sweet-days-of-summer