*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1502106-Life-in-a-Haunted-House
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1502106
A family is plagued by unusual events in the house the inherited.
An old two story house standing on three acres of land, with white vinyl siding and dark grey shingles and the garden over flowing with flowers, such as rose and tulips, during the spring and summer. That was the house I grew up in. My parents did not buy the house, and really I was not born in it. My parents received this house as an inheritance from my mother’s grandmother. It was my parents first home that they ever owned. As you can imagine they were kind of over excited and wanted to change the old house’s appearance, so they started renovations on the house almost immediately after we moved in. To complicate matters as soon as the work started so did the strange events.
First my parents decided to tear down one of the living room walls, thinking it would make the living room bigger. What they found was a surprise. They found a beautiful bedroom that was completely unknown to any of its past residence. The bedroom was completely furnished in old antique furnishings. My father insisted that we stick with the original plan. My mother on the other hand thought we should keep the room and put it to use. Eventually my mother won and it was decided that the newly discovered bedroom would become my room.
There was really nothing strange about the room, other than it was boarded up, there were no hidden passages, there were no drawings on the wall, nor were there any blood stains. Looking back I realize when my parents opened the room it was like they open Pandora’s Box.
The events started simply with the lights. As we arrived home from visiting some family members, my father noticed the lights were on in the living room. A little confused my father asked us, “Didn‘t we turn off the lights before we left?”
We all nodded in response, feeling more than a little confused.

A few days later as I was passing by the bathroom I noticed the water was running in the sink. Thinking one of my siblings left the water running I went in to turn it off. As I walked in the bath room the tap turned itself off, as if some one had just finished washing their hands.
Next to come were the voices. We all heard these voices at some point; however, my father was the first to hear one. He was at home, by himself, working on the house on his day off of work. He was alone in the house, busy painting the kitchen, when he heard a girl crying, “Help me please, help me” she cried. I was the next to hear one. I had just went to bed, when I heard a voice telling me to get up, thinking it was one of my siblings I just wrote it off as one of them playing a joke on me.
The next thing I will mention, and the worst by far was the apparitions and shadows, dark out lines of humans and animals. They were free standing, independent, and looking like no one in the house. They would be seen just out of the corner of our eyes, when we least expected them, sometimes we would see them in full view, zipping by doors, or going into different rooms. Some times we would see them standing in the corner of a room watching us as we went about our daily lives.
One incident I remember involves a cat. Now we have never owned any cats, but one day I walked in my room and there was a rather large black cat lying on my bed. It just set there looking up at me with its big green eyes, and just as quickly as I had seen it, it vanished into thin air.
The final blow came when my youngest sister was pushed down the stairs, by an unseen force. She was the only one on the stair at the time and she claims she felt a hand on her back when she fell. We were at a loss. We did not know what to do. That’s when my parents started researching ghost on the internet. After a great deal of looking they finally come a cross a local group that they quickly called and soon the group was standing at our front room ready to do an investigation on our house
The investigation itself, I don’t know much about; however, when they showed our family the findings, I will never forget that. We were all gathered in the living room around our large coffee table the two lead investigators on one side and my family and I on the other side. As one began to put a CD in a laptop that sat on the table between us, the other began to talk, “We have found some interesting things in our evidence review and we would like to share them with you. The first thing we would like you to hear is an E.V.P. or Electronic Voice Phenomenon we caught on tape caught here in the living room. ” he said and the other pressed play on the audio player he had just pulled up
As the selected section played back a voice of a man issued from the laptop’s speakers. It was saying, “This is my house, get out! Get out!”
Then the investigator running the Laptop opened another audio clip they had caught in our house, and yet another strange voice came across the speakers, this time it was a young girl. “Mommy?” it asked “Mommy where are you?”
“That not all we found” the one working the computer said pulling up some video clips.
What we saw amazed even us. It was my room no one was in it and all of a sudden a young girl appeared at the foot of my bed. The girl was dressed in an old fashioned white dressing gown and had blond hair that was braided down her back. What was even more amazing was what the girl had in her arms. She had a cat, a black cat with brilliant green eyes.
I could not stop myself from gasping out “Oh my Gosh that cat!” I exclaimed and every one looked at me quizzically. “The cat,” I continued “the one the girl is holding I‘ve seen it before.” and then I related the story of the cat to them.
As the lead investigators left we still had questions. Like how could this be, who were these people we had just seen and heard and why they were still holding on so tight to this place? There were only a few things we really knew for certain. We knew we would never be run out of our home, by any one living or dead and we would be seeing a lot more of our unwanted house guests.
© Copyright 2008 Tiffany S. (tortued_soul at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1502106-Life-in-a-Haunted-House