*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1502262-A-Harsh-Reality
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by amreen
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1502262
How the female sex is "used" in our so- called progressing country...
                                            A Harsh Reality



        “Reema, I want money for shopping.” “Reema, I need money for my books…..”



                                Reema was a 23-year-old, sole-earner of her family. Her father had long before left them and fled. She had her mother, three small sisters and a small brother to support. (Some population control!!) They only used to remember Reema when they needed money; otherwise, I doubt they even knew she existed!



                                Reema was working as a Personal Secretary to the Managing Director of So-and-so Company and was earning a fat sum. Her family ate up most of it and the rest of it (if any) was left for her. She was like every other girl who dreamt of getting married and having a family of her own. She was not beautiful, but that didn’t mean she did not have any guys in her life. She had many, but none of them were ever serious. All of them feasted on her money and whenever she propose the thought (of marriage), they all gave her some excuse and left her. As a result of this, she was going through tremendous depression.



                                Once again, a guy came into her life…. And this guy was so good looking that she fell for him right away. I guess luck was with her that time, for that guy too started liking her… after all looks are not the only things that matter (something our youth will never understand). She confided in him every single detail about her past relationships and even told him about the treatment she received at home. Despite all that, he wanted to marry her. Reema’s family did not accept the boy as he was from another religion (people are yet so backward!!)



                                Everything was going on great until the boys’ parents came to India. As a result of the staying abroad, they had no clue as to what their son was up to. Naturally, they did not accept Reema and threatened to disown their son if he did not leave her. Little did they know that their son was a drug-addict. They were in a fix when they came to know and so they made use of Reema to save their son. She succeeded and they took her back with them to Canada.



                              Since he had improved, he started working in a call-centre. He made a lot of friends (mostly women). While chatting in one of the chat rooms, he met a foreign lady. The more he used to chat with her, the more he started treating Reema badly. His parents thought that he was no more interested in her and got him married to a relative’s daughter without informing Reema. He even had a child with Reema, but without giving it a second thought, he gave a divorce and sent her back to India with her child.



                              It was obvious that Reema couldn’t go home. So she went to a friend’s place and spent the rest of her life in anonymity. Reema was always used… By her family; By those “chalu” guys and even by the person with whom she fell in love with. She was never given freedom at any stage in her life and hence never understood the real meaning of “LIFE”.



                              This is the condition of so many women in our very own country, and they say “India is progressing”. When was the last time we saw a crime happening on the female sex and kept mum?? EVERYTIME!! I guess that time has come when we have to stop and ask ourselves……. “Our we really progressing????”               
© Copyright 2008 amreen (amreen.m.b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1502262-A-Harsh-Reality