*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1503322-Visiting-Santa-at-the-Mall
by Annie
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1503322
I know this is not the real Santa!
Winner!
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
12/8/08

“Let’s go see Santa!” Samantha exclaimed, pointing.

I shrugged. I found out long ago that the real Santa doesn’t hang out in malls. He’s much too busy checking his list twice and supervising the elves.

Last year, “Santa” had a tattoo on his arm. I pretended I didn’t notice and enumerated all the toys I ever wanted, until he was about to kick me out. I like playing around with fake Santas.

We joined the line and after what seemed like ages, it was our turn. Samantha’s eyes were glowing with excitement as she listed her wishes. She went back to Mom and Dad with a delighted smile and some trinkets.

I sat on Santa’s lap and wiggled to get comfortable. He winced.

“Have you been good this year? Ho! Ho!”

“Oh, yes! I played nicely with my sister, obeyed my parents, and teachers are fond of me.”

A suspicious grin appeared on his jolly face. “What would you like for Christmas, my boy?”

“Santa, I want a new teacher for Christmas.”

He gave a little start and looked at me. “Don’t you want any new games, or a baseball mitt?”

“No. I want a new teacher that doesn’t give too much homework. I don’t have time to play anyway, with all these assignments we’ve been getting lately.”

It was worth waiting in line just to see the look on his face. He gave me a coloring book and a Christmas sticker. Just before I left, he pulled me closer and said in a low tone, “I’ll make sure Miss Coleman makes your wish come true.”

How did he… that voice… “Mr. Principal?”

I guess sometimes wishes do come true. I had a lighter workload until June!
© Copyright 2008 Annie (dutchhillgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1503322-Visiting-Santa-at-the-Mall