*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504108-The-Ranger
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1504108
A ranger swears his life to protect a mythical forest.
On a beautiful early morning in the forest, the ranger prepares for his daily walk. He is a simple man with extraordinary gifts. He has the ability to communicate with all creatures and plants in the forest. He gained this ability as a small child, when he was separated from his family during a raid. A being came to him and said "if you agree to protect this forest, then we will defend you". He agreed and this being stayed with him and trained him till he was a young adult. Then one day the being said to him. " You are ready to do this on your own". " But I am not ready for this" cried the young boy. But the spirit had vanished and he was alone.

He began his walk down the trail to the center of the forest. As the sun rose all the plants and flowers perked up. The birds seem to sing in harmony. He always started his walk toward the center of the forest. It was a very beautiful place. A big wide open field covered with flowers.

As he approached the center, something was different. The leaves had turned down on all the trees and the flowers and plants had wilted back. The animals which usually fill the field were running into the forest. A hawk that he called percy came swooping down and perched on his arm. At the same time Frederick the bear came walking by and gave a soft cry. Someone was in the field and had a sense of evil about him. "Percy" said the ranger. "Go see if he is alone or if there are more". The hawk quickly took off to the air. All people travel the forest but the ranger must keep it free from evil. As he began walking to the opening of the field, Percy had returned letting him know that he is alone.

As he walked onto the field, He was addressed by this man. " I say, Do you know where I may find the one they call the ranger"? "I do" he replied. "and where might that be"? "Right in front of you. Now what can I do for you?"said the ranger. " I have been sent here to discuss the rights of the forest with you". He had mischievous smile as his right hand rested on the hilt of his sword. "And you are" asked the ranger? "My name is Devlin" said the dark dressed man. "Well Devlin", said the ranger "There is nothing to discuss". "This forest is not owned or controlled by anyone". The ranger has had to deal with this situation before. People feel they can control the powers the forest has. The ranger has no idea what makes this forest so special. All he knows is that he is to protect it with his life if need be. "Well my lord wants control of this forest, and he will get it no matter what it cost". The ranger knows the man he speaks of. This Baron whose land borders the forest. He has sent men in there before but has never had any success. "You tell your lord that he will never have control of this forest" said the ranger. "Now go to your lord and deliver that message". As the ranger turned his back he could hear Devlin unsheathe his sword. He knew he had only one choice.

The ranger drew his sword as he turned to face the man, blocking his first attack. The ranger does not look for bloodshed to end disputes. So he continues to block and defend without ever making an attack himself. Devlin is very skilled and continues to attack from different angles with slashes and the occasional thrust. As the fight continues the ranger says to him. " I beg you to stop this right now and I will let you leave this forest unscathed". Devlin just laughed at him. " Some great warrior you are. You haven't gotten one attack in and you want me to surrender". When Devlin swung down on him and as the ranger blocked he was knocked backwards. Falling to the ground the ranger dropped his sword. "Well ranger", said Devlin. " I guess my lord will have control of the forest". As Devlin went to swing the death blow, percy the hawk came swooping down to distract him. With Devlin distracted, the ranger was able to grab his sword and thrust it into the mans stomach. As he fell to the ground, the ranger looked up to the sky. Clouds had started to form in the once clear skies. The ranger took his sword and drove it into the ground next to Devlin. When the rain started to fall, Devlin slowly disappeared and in his place a flower bloomed.
© Copyright 2008 William Dane (wchez33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504108-The-Ranger