*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504273-Dorothy-Sanchas
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1504273
This started as a 55 word story but is growing.
Dot Sanchas, the lady who brought Christmas gifts to my poor family for many years died on 28 October 2008.

I remember awakening on Christmas morning and wandering to our shabby Christmas tree, wondering if there would be anything for me. I had seen no gifts, wrapping paper, or bows. Nothing about the Christmas season had been bright or cheerful that I recall. A knock on the door resulted in puzzled glances between my mother and father. When the front door was slowly pulled open by dad, there stood the infamous man in the red suit carrying a large bag of brightly wrapped gifts. Standing behind Santa was a lady with a big box of food.

I must confess I do not remember her as a person, but more as a vague bright light with a halo of white hair. Funny how our mind distorts reality and saves good images. A friendly, cheerful smile and a kind word were given, along with a toy and warm mittens for each of us. I wonder now at how eight children and two adults fit into the budget. I praise our benefactor(s) all those years ago. Mother cried at such a windfall in a lean year, assuring we each gave a hug and thank you in return.

Ms. Sanchas believed Jesus' words encourage everyone to help each other and to pray everyday. "There are always people who can be helped, no matter where you look. Something as simple as a hug and reassurance spread His Word." She did not just help my family though, but also founded "Santa's Helpers" in the Rumford, Maine area in the late 1970s to help provide clothing, gifts and food for all in need over the Holiday season.

Santa's Helpers spun off another helping idea for the off-Christmas season called The Free Store. Starting in the back of her station wagon, where she would sometimes park in needy areas in the surrounding communities until the car was empty. From the cargo area and seats of a family car she moved on to working out of her well stocked family garage as the donations poured in to help the needy. The Free Store is now a large building in Mexico, Maine, a community with a slowly withering economy. People still stream in to get donated necessities for free.

Right after Dot died at 3:30 a.m. on 28 October, this beautiful lady who has meant light and hope to so many had a divine visitation. Family members said the Savior in all His Glory appeared on the side of her house in the moonlight. Like Christ at Gethsemane kneeling at the rock with angels at his feet, it seems He was coming to lead another of His angels home. When the rain came, the family said, it was like tears from heaven.

She was buried far away in my old hometown, so I did not make it to her funeral to say goodbye. Instead I said a prayer of thanks for this beautiful lady who gave to so many. Dorothy, you gave my family so much more than a sack full of wrapped toys long ago. You gave us the fruit of human kindness, nurtured in your loving, Christian heart. You taught me that the season is for giving, just as God gave his only Son that others may live.

For those of you in the Rumford and Mexico area, and her beautiful family, wherever you may be, continue to carry the torch Ms. Sanchas lit, I thank you and praise you. Remember there is always human need and poverty. Thank you for keeping her dream of giving alive. May God bless and watch over you as you help others on Christmas Day and every day.
© Copyright 2008 Lou-Here By His Grace (tattsnteeth2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1504273-Dorothy-Sanchas