*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1505371-New-World
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1505371
First chapter of a novel
It was about 4 in the morning on my night off and I was sitting in front of the computer looking at all of the bad news on the internet. I work a 12 hour night shift and even when I’m off I’m usually up all night.
It had been a typical first day off. Got home around 8 in the morning and fed the goats and moved the dogs around. It’s a pain having 3 dogs that don’t get along but each one was special and two of them, Rock and Nahya were okay together, but Holly hated both of them. Holly though was the better watchdog and was one hell of a mouse and rat catching dog.
I got to bed around noon and slept in until around 8 that night. It was about the middle of March and the weather was still pretty cool at night but not enough to crank up the woodstove.
Checked on the goats when I got up and put more hay in the feeder for them, then settled in with some cold beer and watched Delta Force on the DVD player with Holly curled up at my feet. After the movie was over Holly and I headed back to the computer and the internet.
Everybody was up in arms about the growing tensions between the United States and the rest of the world. You name it; they were all pissed off at the United States. Finally had enough and turned the thing off. Had enough problems off my own without having to worry about the state of the entire planet. I just couldn’t understand why everyone didn’t realize that we all are on the same ball of rock hurtling around the sun and if they didn’t start to get along somebody was going to start World War 3 and nothing that they were arguing about would matter anymore. There was nothing I could do about the state of the world so looking at Holly who was on the bed said, “Move over and let’s get some sleep.”
I got in bed and turned off the light. Maybe I should have paid more attention to what I had been reading but it wouldn’t have made a difference. Things were already set in motion and the only thing I could do was ride out the storm that was there when I woke up.
© Copyright 2008 grandma (timberrt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1505371-New-World