*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507398-Project-Destiny
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1507398
Sabrina is destined to stop a huge evil, but isn't sure she has what it takes to succeed.
                            Chapter One
    Sometimes you just have to step up and do things for yourself when the majority of others won't get off their lazy behinds and help their world. The way people littered the environment was just gross; especially in a big, bustling city like New York.
    The trash was disgusting. I mean, seriously, people, what do you think our planet is? A dump? Sadly, that's actually what it is, thanks to all those careless people out there.
    Now, before you go off saying I'm insulting you, just stay put and let me explain. I am not insulting anybody. I'm merely stating my opinion. And last time I checked, freedom of speech was a right here in the states.
    Speaking of which, I'm sure a lot of you are using that right at this very moment and are calling me an environmental freak. Fine - I don't care. I hear it all the time; it's nothing new. Just don't come running to me when you run out of clean air or step on a piece of sticky, gooey trash because that was all there was to step on.
    Anyways, I was working on picking up a soggy newspaper with gloved hands on a Saturday evening. It had rained early in the morning, and, since I had nothing to do today, I'd decided to pick up everybody's wet garbage.
    All of a sudden, I felt as though I was being watched. Pausing, I lifted my eyes and did a quick scan around me.
    Irritatingly, it was difficult to see if you were being watched when the street was busy with people going about their daily business. And littering, I might add. Somebody dropped an empty styrofoam cup even as I watched.
    Sighing, I gave up trying to find something unusual and shoved the newspaper in my trash bag. Feeling like a pair of eyes were watching me at least ever few days was getting prettying annoying, and, to be honest, it was starting to make me nervous.
    Trying to ignore it, I thought about my upcoming birthday while absently picking up trash. In just a few days, I would turn sixteen! The thought was pretty exciting.
    I really hoped my friends wouldn't try to surprise me with a party of something. I hated surprises. Hopefully, they would keep that in mind and let me know ahead of time.
    "Sabrina!" I spun around at the sound of my name to see my best friend, Jaylin, jogging to catch up with me.
    "What's up?" she asked when she was at my side, her hazel eyes bright as she looked at me.
    I held up my bag of trash, which was pretty much full by then. "Taking this to the dump," I told her.
    Jaylin rolled her eyes. "You and your trash." She shook her head. "I'm surprised you don't have a 'Save the Planet' shirt on."
    Grinning at her, I replied, "I don't need a shirt to pass on the message. All it takes is a little action."
    "Yes, and that's working so well," Jaylin said sarcastically. She picked up the styrofoam cup and stuffed it in my bag, smiling. "But you're doing a pretty good job yourself. I guess the effort is all that counts."
    I nodded in agreement, thankful for my friend. Sometimes she helped with the trash issue, but mostly she was an animal rights activist and a conspiring veterinarian. Just last weekend I had helped her fix a bird's wing and then watched with her as it flew off, good as new.
    "Want to come back to my house with me? I need to feed the animals, then we can hang out," I offered.
    "I would, but my mom wants me to babysit my sister tonight." Jaylin made a face. "How about we meet up tomorrow at the mall?"
    "Sounds like a plan," I agreed with a smile as I put the trash in the dump.
    As we started heading back down the sidewalk, I felt Jaylin jump a little. Glancing over, I saw that Ben had snuck up behind her and had his arms wrapped around her waist, head resting lightly on top of hers. His long dark brown hair fell against her longer red hair.
    "I've been looking all over for you, Jay," Ben said. "You didn't answer your cell."
    "Sorry. I left it at home." Jaylin, who had stopped walking, tilted her head back a little to look at him.
    Ben shrugged and let go of her, taking her hand instead. He started walking backwards, gently pulling her with him. "Come on. Let's walk around, then get some food."
    Jaylin glanced over her shoulder at me as she followed him, saying, "Call me tomorrow, 'kay?"
    I nodded and headed towards home.
    "See you some other time, Sabrina," Ben called over his shoulder.
    "See you," I called back, then they were lost from sight in the crowd.
    Soon I turned on to my street, which was actually pretty empty. I had to cross the road to get to my house, and just as I was a few feet from the other side, a big van came speeding around the corner.
    As I stood there like a deer caught in the headlights, my heart sped up considerably. Fear spread through my veins like hot metal. I thought for sure I was going to be hit, but a body suddenly slammed against me, strong arms wrapping around me and sending me - and the person - tumbling out of harm's way in a flurry of arms and legs.
    I crouched on the sidewalk, trying to catch my breath while the can sped away without even stopping to see if we were okay. When I looked up to see who had saved me, nobody was there. All I saw was a glimpse of black hair and black clothes as they disappeared around the corner.
    Curious as to who would risk their own life to save mine, I jumped to my feet - ignoring the stinging in my limbs - and sprinted around the corner...
    To see a crowd of people. I searched through the mass of people carefully, but nobody was dressed as darkly as this boy was. He was gone.
                                             
                                            Chapter Two
    "Hey, chick, wake the heck up!"
    I moaned, burying my face in the pillow. Somebody jabbed me in the back, and I searched the space around me until my fingers clasped together on a thin wrist.
    "Get out of my room, little boy," I mumbled, opening my eyes and peering up at my twelve-year-old brother.
    Bryan snorted, indignant. "Make me."
    Rolling my eyes, I sat up and swung my legs out, catching him in the waist with my foot. He jumped back, sticking his tongue out and kicking my legs.
    I stood suddenly and hugged him, knowing he hated that, then went to my closet. "Now get out before I put you in a dress," I said, smiling innocently at him.
    Bryan made a face of mock horror and backed out of my bedroom. "You'll have to kill me before I let you do that!" Then the smell of bacon wafted down the hall, and he turned and disappeared down the hallway.
    While I put on a t-shirt and jeans, I pondered over the night before. Why would somebody save me, then run before I could thank them? It made no sense at all.
    I rounded the corner into the kitchen a minute later, only to find a piece of bacon in my face.
    "Pig?" Bryan offered, waving the piece of fried animal in front of my nose before biting off a big chunk of it.
    Shaking my head in disgust, I pushed around him and put together a plate of toast, banana, and muffin. Yes, I was a vegetarian. I hadn't eaten meat in over five years.
    Absently, I ate my breakfast, again going over last night's incident in my mind. It was irritating, not knowing who it was. Then I came to a decision, and quickly finished the toast. I would go searching for the guy that had saved me.
    "What do you have planned for today?" my mom asked me as I put away my plate.
    "I'm just going to roam around town. Then go to the mall with Jaylin," I answered, not looking at her. I hadn't told her about the whole nearly-getting-run-over thing. She tended to over-react, like all mothers did. Sure, it was something you might over-react about, but my mom would just make it worse. I was, to be honest, pretty shaken up.
    "Can I go with?" Bryan asked, sounding a little too innocent.
    "Yes, take him with you," Mom said before I could refuse. I glanced at her, frowning, but had to consent. The look on her face told me she had a secret she didn't want him knowing. We both knew he couldn't keep a secret. This time of year I liked that about him, but there was no getting out of taking him now.
    "Come on," I said, giving Bryan a push toward the door after grabbing my flip-flops.
    "Hold on!" Bryan complained, making a detour into the hall to get his shoes. I left him, and a moment later he joined me outside, jogging to catch up.
    "Where to first?" he asked, coming up beside me.
    I shrugged and looked at him speculatively. Then I ruffled his brown hair, lighter than my own, and said, "You would look good bald, don't you think so?"
    He ducked away, then ruffled my hair. "No, but I think a freshly shaven head would complete your look quite nicely."
    "Oh, shush." I strode ahead of him, my plan to distract him from what we were doing succeeding so far. I studied the people on the street. None of them brought forth a memory of the boy from last night.
    "Who are you looking for? Your boyfriend?" Bryan teased about half an hour later.
    "I don't have a boyfriend. You know that." Never in my life had I had a relationship. I never had any time for one.
    "Then who was that emo-looking guy following you?"
    I stopped, looking at him. "What emo-looking guy?"
    "You mean you didn't know he was there?" he asked, and I shook my head. Bryan's eyes widened, and he exclaimed, a little too loudly, "Oh my Gosh! Sabrina has a stalker!"
    Several people turned to look at us, uncertain expressions on their faces. Giving them what I hoped was a reassuring smile, I grabbed Bryan's arm and pulled him away from the crowd.
    "What are you talking about? What guy?" I asked him urgently, frowning at him. My mind flashed back to all those times I'd felt as though I was being watched. Could that have been whoever was apparently stalking me?
    "A couple times I've seen an emo dude in a black cloak, not that far behind you. He always seemed to be with you, though, not following you."
    "Do you have any other details?" I asked patiently.
    Bryan shrugged. "He was tall and had black hair. That's all I could really tell. I never really got a good look at him."
    Okay, I was definitely going to keep an eye out for somebody like that before he ended up doing more than stalking me. The thought of having a stalker was more than a little unnerving.
    Grinning suddenly, Bryan said, "Maybe he'll kidnap you. Then I'll get more allowance with you gone!"
    "Shut up!" I exclaimed, laughing a little and flicking him in the ear. But my stomach clenched with uneasiness.
    Bryan flicked me back. "Anyway, that'd be impossible, 'cause you'd just karate chop anybody who would try to touch you."
    I was a bit comforted by that thought. I was no fighter, but I could defend myself pretty well.
    "Yup, I feel sorry for anyone that would get on your bad side." It took me a second to understand why Bryan was going on about it. He had noticed my worried look and was trying to make me feel better. What do you know, little brothers were good for something.
    "You're great," I told him with a smile, as we walked around a group of people.
    "And, you know, you have me," Bryan went on as if I hadn't spoken. I guess that since he had now cheered me up again, now he would never admit to it. So typical.
    I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Bryan, you're oh-so strong," I said sarcastically. He stuck his tongue out at me.
    A couple hours before noon, we headed back because Bryan had started to really wonder what the point of going out was, and it was becoming harder and harder to distract him.
    When we got home, I was surprised when Bryan didn't mention my stalker.Oh well, I thought, at least I don't have to worry about Mom worrying.
    I called Jaylin, and half an hour later we met up at the mall. She led me to the clothes section, and I got the impression she was on sort of a mission. Not too much later, my hunch was proved right.
    "We need to pick you out a dress for tomorrow night," Jaylin said while I was looking through a rack of shorts.
    "Why?"
    Jaylin made a face, looking like she didn't want to say. But she did. "We've been planning a party for you," she admitted faithfully.
    "I guessed you would be. But thanks for telling me." I grinned at her, knowing she loved to plan surprises for people. Especially friends.
                          TO BE CONTINUED
© Copyright 2008 Kami Fae (crazed_mind at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507398-Project-Destiny