*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507586-Learning-to-Ski
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Contest Entry · #1507586
My first attempt at cross country skiing - for Daily Flash
“Wooo Hoooo!” I heard as Michelle skied out of sight. I knew this meant a hill was coming and, from the sound of her whoop, it was a big one. I’d never cross country skied before, but when my mom’s boss asked me to come with her, I thought it would be a great opportunity to learn. I wasn’t much for winter sports. I couldn’t stand on ice skates. Snowmobiling was not my cup of tea. I didn’t like the gas smell that emitted from the riders in every restaurant and store all winter long. Snow shoe-ing was okay, but not very exciting. I liked sledding, but one could hardly call that a sport. Eager to get outside and enjoy winter, I gladly accepted the invite.

We skied for most of the day, and we moved to more technical trails each time we relocated. This was our fourth trail of the day. I was doing well, but sometimes could not keep up with Michelle, who was a much more experienced skier. I came around a corner and saw the hill Michelle whooped about. It was a pretty big one. I planted my poles and pushed hard down the hill. I heard her yell something back to me, but I couldn’t understand her words. Faster and faster I went down the hill. She said something again.

As I flew through the air, I attempted to “tuck and roll”. I planted myself firmly in the snow bank, snow finding its way into every opening in my clothing, with nothing injured by my pride. I laughed as I realized her words must have been, “Lift your ski tips. There’s a tree across the path!”

Word Count: 281

© Copyright 2008 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1507586-Learning-to-Ski