*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508280-Night-Star
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Emotional · #1508280
A young girl becomes tired of her broken life after her brothers death.
Chapter 1: Decision

Delyn shivered despite the warm sweater. It was always cold in Bakairo, Italy. She pulled out her extra mittens and put them on.
She stared at the sky. She remembered when he taught her about the stars and their constellations. Had it really been ten years since his death? She walked slower. The later she got home, the better chance that her parents were asleep.
She looked back toward the stars,"No matter where you are, the stars will help you find your way." She recalled the exact same words her brother had told her that night.
She continued to wander down the streets, trying to forget the beating and constant yelling at home. She sighed. She was almost home.

She paused on the front step. She could hear them fighting. She wouldn't be able to sneak up to her room. She thought about all of the beatings. Maybe if her father had a reason or if her would try to stop him it would be fine, but her mother just ignored it. She sighed. Enough stalling. She took a deep breath and stepped onto the battlefield.

"She's your responsibility! You should have picked her up from school but No! You had to go visit your sister whose daughter is worse than ours!" her father screamed. He was standing in the small alcove that was their kitchen.
"Delyn," her mom whispered as she spotted her.
Her dad spun around. "Not so fast, young lady! Come here right now! SCHNELL!"
She hurried inside. When her father started speaking German, Nobody disobeyed him.
He turned to the coat rack and grabbed the old riding crop. He hadn't even asked for an explanation. She bolted.
No one had run from her father before. She ran upstairs to her room in the loft.

He was there in seconds. She endured the whipping in pain.
"I won't cry. I won't cry," She chanted silently. She bit down on her lip until she tasted blood. As soon as he left, she got an old backpack and threw some clothes in it. She opened her jewelry box and took all of her money out. She sneaked into her brother's room and found his old survival kit. She stuffed the knife and lighter in her pocket and threw the rest in the bag.
She started to climb out the window but turned around to grab a composition book off of her desk.
She climbed down the vines outside her window and ran.

She was getting out of here, and she wasn't letting anyone stand in her way.
© Copyright 2008 Noa Leighton (angellove130 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1508280-Night-Star