*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509600-3K9
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1509600
A war story that takes place in the year 3009.
3K9
    The air was still for a moment, no noise, no movement, only still and dusty. Then a blast shocked the ground. The surrounding buildings of what was once New York City quickly turned into mere rubble. Bridges collapsed as the super sonic blasts of the massive air cannons shot shock wave after shock wave. The super sonic blasts boomed through the streets of the city, which was long ago evacuated of all civilians. In the streets, amid the chaos stood an army in bulky golden metal suits. These were the Gold Anarchists. They marched single file through the havoc. The sonic blasts that so easily toppled skyscrapers didn’t even delay their slow march. They built the cannons, so they knew how to build suits that could protect them from the blasts.
    On the other side of the city stood another army, this one made up of genetically enhanced soldiers with nothing more than the clothing on their back. These shadows of what mankind once was were called the Genocides. They all had bright red glowing eyes, pure white hair, and grayish skin. The technology that gave them strength and made them immune to disease had turned them into monsters.
    The two vastly different armies slowly approached one another in the middle of the quickly crumbling city. The two eventually met, and stood silently staring at each other, testing to see who would attack first. A nearby tower, which had somehow survived the air cannon blasts, exploded as high-speed jets flew overhead and peppered the ground with fission bombs. Rubble flew into the streets and the two large groups quickly moved to avoid being crushed. While the debris was still falling, both parties were ordered to attack. The Genocides quickly pounced nearly twenty feet in the air and landed unharmed amid the Anarchists. The Gold Anarchists pulled huge machine guns filled with exploding bullets off their backs and started to fire wildly at the mutant army that was attacking them. Another sonic blast was shot low enough to send all the city’s fire hydrants into the air. Water rained down on the blood soaked streets. The troops continued to fight, trying their best to ignore the cries of pain that now surrounded them. A large Genocide male jumped on top of a screaming Anarchist and ripped his head clean off with one strike. A Golden Anarchist aimed and pumped a blood drenched Genocide woman full of bullets. She had only a second to scream in pain before they exploded within her.
- - -
    The war raged on for many hours, until the two groups had completely eliminated each other. Only one survivor could be seen walking what used to be city streets, an Anarchist. He walked slowly through the rows of corpses and stepped over the puddles of blood. The streets were now gone, smashed into gravel under the weight of the buildings and bodies. In the distance he heard a faint whimper.  It was a young woman amid the devastation. Her blood red eyes made it clear she was Genocide. He raised his gun and aimed and she crouched down ready to pounce. The two stood for no longer than a minute. Then, with tears in his eyes, the man dropped the large gun at his feet. The woman, who was too shocked to act just stood still. She wasn’t quite sure what to do. Then, the man slowly turned around, and started to walk away. The woman tightened her muscles, prepared to jump at any moment. But she too could not act. She slowly relaxed, stood up, and started to walk in the opposite direction of the man. They only stopped once to look over their shoulders at each other. Then they continued to walk until neither could see the other, or the black charred mess that was once the greatest city on earth.

© Copyright 2008 mastermind9001 (mastermind9001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509600-3K9