*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509669-Sorceress-Ch-1-Apprentice
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1509669
After a great tragedy, Katherine goes against law to become a Sorcerer Knight.
“Katty! Wait for me!” a boy called, chasing his younger sister.

“What’s the matter Zander? You’re supposed to be able to keep up,” the girl looked back, mocking her brother, who was several yards behind her. She had always been faster than her brother. The ten year old twins had the same dark brown hair, bright blue eyes, and enthusiasm. They both wore plain cotton clothes and carried their shoes as they ran down the dirt road through the forest.

The girl, not looking where she was going, ran right into the legs of a young woman. “Katherine! Zander! Where have you two been? Mother and Father have been looking all over for you.”

Katherine looked up at her fifteen year old sister. “Sorry Alyssa. It’s Zander’s fault for not being able to catch up.” She continued to poking fun at him with her superior speed.

“Was not! You’re the one that wanted to stay longer,” Zander snapped back.

Alyssa stared them down with questioning brown eyes examining the wet hems of their pants. “Were you two playing by the river again?” The children looked down at the dirt, not wanting to meet their sister’s gaze. Alyssa sighed as she ran her fingers through her light wavy hair. “Come on, we’ll talk about this later. Father needs to speak with you two about starting the planting.” They silently followed Alyssa back towards their village of Kalia. Alyssa didn’t want to keep them in a grim mood. She smirked and grabbed one of their hands in hers. “Katherine, have you gotten faster?”

Katherine grinned, “Yes! It took me thirty seconds less to run the field yesterday.”

“She’s almost as fast as the horses now”, Zander chimed in.

Alyssa struggled to keep them apart as Katherine tried to kick Zander for his comment. Katherine retorted, “You are jealous that I am a better rider then you. Your only trick is reading a book while riding.”

“And that is why Father is letting me help plan the planting, growing, and harvesting. Father said I could do his job in a few years.”

Both children ignored the other having put in their final words. Alyssa shook her head smiling. Their closeness made them bicker more than other siblings. She began to sing and the twins mellowed down.

When the woods stopped, giving way to miles of fields and their village of about two dozen houses, Alyssa stopped. “Do you smell smoke?” In reply to her question, a stream of white smoke turned black and widened above the houses in the distance. Even from their distance they could see the fire spread across the straw roofs of the houses. “Zander, Katherine, run back to the river and hide. Don’t come out until Mother, Father, or I come get you, understand?”

“But Mother said not to play by the river when it’s flooded.”

Alyssa knelt in front of them and placed a hand on both of her sibling’s shoulders. “Has that ever stopped you before? Promise me you’ll go and hide there and keep each other safe.”

“Where are you going?” Katherine worriedly pleaded.

“I’m going to help with what I can. Now promise me you’ll do as I asked.”

“We promise,” they said in unison.

“I’ll come get you as soon as the fires are out.” Alyssa hugged them. “Now go!”

Zander and Katherine turned around and ran, hand in hand, back the way they had just come. Katherine looked back and watched as her sister raced into the opposite direction. Back under the cover of trees, a man yelled in agony ahead on the road, begging for his life. Zander yanked Katherine into the dense brush on the side of the road. Another man who looked just as dirty as the sword he carried, most likely a bandit, had his sword pressed against the man’s throat. A second bandit stood by impatiently.

“I’ll ask you one more time. Where is the boy?” The hostage stuttered in fear and couldn’t say anything comprehensible. Zander pulled Katherine’s face to his chest, shielding her eyes as the bandit slit the man’s throat. The bandit laughed as the man’s head gave a thud on impact with rock imbedded in the dirt.

Zander whispered, “Katty, when the coast is clear, I want you to run as fast as you can to the river and I want you to stay there until someone comes for you.”

“What are you going to do Zander?” Katherine demanded in as low a tone possible.

“I’m going to distract them so you can get to the river.”

She gripped his sleeve. “Why? They don’t know we’re here.”

He peeled her defiant hands off his shirt. “What if they’re look outs and won’t leave? They’ll notice us eventually.” Her eyes pleaded with him but she knew there would be no arguing with him. His mind was made up.

She did the only thing she could do. She hugged him and whispered in his ear, “Be safe, Zander.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll come back to get you, Katherine.”

Her chest tightened as he jumped onto the road and ran toward the village with the bandits chasing after him. She silently prayed for Zander’s safety. Something always seemed to go amiss after Zander called her by her full name. A third bandit jumped in front of the bush Katherine was hiding behind and she screamed.

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?” he smirked grabbing her upper arm and yanking her out into the open.

Another bandit came up behind the one holding her. “We already got the boy. Let’s go.”

“What about her?” The second bandit walked up to her and hit her on the head with the hilt of his sword. She fell to the ground and blackness.

When Katherine woke up, the bandits were gone. Her head throbbed where she was hit but she ignored it as she ran frantically back to town. A few houses were reduced to ash while the rest had repairable damage. Embers glowed but the fire was gone. Katherine ran directly toward her house, passing bodies on the way. Most of them were cut down while putting out the fire. She glanced at each of them, identifying her neighbors. A few people moaned as she passed but she ignored their pain. In front of her house she found her mother’s body. A cry came from nearby and she raced to her father. She fell down next to him, not trying to stop her tears.

“Katherine…find Cronos Vanguard,” his voice was raspy and dragged. “Save them...” His lips formed a few more words but Katherine couldn’t hear them. He reached up with a shaking hand and stroked her check. She placed her own hand on top of his. He smiled lovingly at his daughter while his eyes closed and his hand fell limply in Katherine’s hand. Katherine remained there shaking uncontrollably for the loss of her parents.

“Thomas! Thomas, I found a survivor. Goodness child.” A woman came up to Katherine and gently set her on her feet. “It’s alright dear. You’re safe now. My name is Ella. I’m going to bring you back to my house in Durgan.”

Katherine looked back at her father and struggled to go back to him.

Ella looked sadly at Katherine. “Don’t worry. They’ll get the proper funeral. I need you to be strong now. The Knights will be here soon.”

Katherine settled down and wiped her red, puffy eyes. Katherine looked back at her parents bodies and ran to her mother. She knelt by her and removed the necklace that had been passed down for generations in her father’s family. Finally, she hesitantly kissed her mother’s cheek. Katherine stood up and followed Ella to a wagon. Ella lifted Katherine up into the back. As soon as Katherine was on the wagon, she lied down and fell asleep.

Thomas and Ella’s house lay on the outskirts of the town of Durgan, over an hour ride from Kalia. They kept a few animals and had a small garden. Katherine spent most of her time in the small room she was given. Knights had visited the house a couple times to talk with Thomas and Ella. They tried to get Katherine to talk about what happened but she remained mute.

At the funeral two days later, Katherine agreed to the Knight’s request to write down the names of villagers not among the dead. A couple of villagers survived the attack but died from their wounds. Her hand writing was sloppy and she was sure some of her spelling was wrong, but the Knights could get the correct spellings from village records. The first two names she wrote down with hope were that of her brother and sister. They were not among the dead and the surrounding area had been searched thoroughly. There were only three other names she added to the list, Odessa and Derik Halin and Zoe Delaney. Odessa and her son had gone to visit family for two weeks in a northern village. Derik, being a year younger than her, often came to play with her and Zander. Odessa had a husband and two other children who died in the attack. Zoe was Alyssa’s closest friend since they were close in age. Zoe was likely to be with Alyssa now. With the list completed, Katherine stepped forward as fire was set to the funeral pyre. Ella stood next to her.

Katherine overheard one of the Knights talking behind her. “Funny that no one died in the village fire, just the work of another group of bandits. It only means more work for us.”

Katherine was grateful for the menacing glare Ella gave the Knight. They remained there until there was nothing left for the fire to burn.

A week after moving in with Thomas and Ella, Katherine was sneaking down the hall and heard Thomas talking.

“Has she said anything to you?” Thomas asked his wife.

“No, she hasn’t said one word since we found her. It’s been three days since her parent’s funeral and all she’s done is cry out in her sleep. The poor thing is the only one in her family left. I just wish she would at least tell us her name.”

Katherine slipped past them and went outside. There she found Lysander, the couple’s seven year old son. She watched him as he chopped fire wood. He looked up and was surprised to see her picking up the chopped wood.

“Thanks”, he murmured. She smiled slightly. After the wood was chopped and gathered in a pile they went inside. Katherine went over to Ella, who was working on dinner, and tried to help.

“That’s alright, I can do it.”

But Katherine continued to help. A few moments passed before Katherine whispered, “Katherine Philena.”

Ella glanced down at Katherine, “What?” Katherine didn’t say anymore but Ella smiled. “Thank you, Katherine.”

As the weeks passed by Katherine spoke more and more as the family gained her trust. Then two months passed since Katherine moved in. It was then that she finally got the courage to ask what had been bugging her.

“Have you ever heard of a man named Cronos Vanguard?” Katherine asked during dinner one night.

“Cronos Vanguard is the most powerful sorcerer in Lassyria. Why do you ask?” Thomas questioned her.

“I need to find him. My father told me to.” Katherine gazed down at the table.

“Alright,” Ella said. “I’m sure Thomas and I can find some way to get you to the capital. He lives there and works for the crown, I’m sure we’ll find someone who knows where to find him.”

“Thank you Ella, thank you Thomas,” Katherine smiled at them gratefully.

Two days later, Thomas had the horses hooked up to the wagon. Thomas and Katherine were finally ready for the long trip to the capital Gaerwn. Ella and Lysander watched Thomas make the final adjustments while Katherine said goodbye.

“I promise I’ll come back and visit and I’ll write to you as often as I can. I can never repay you for what you have done for me,” Katherine said.

“Don’t you worry about it, we did what we wanted to do,” Ella smiled lovingly. “Katherine, I hope you can find the other people missing from Kalia. You should talk to them about everything that happened.”

It brought a swell of grief to her but Katherine understood that Ella meant well. Ella never saw the list of those missing and didn’t know two were Katherine’s siblings.

“It’s time to go,” Thomas stated, shattering her thought.

“Be safe and know you are always welcome here,” Ella called out as the wagon moved away. Katherine waved until she couldn’t see them anymore.

Thomas turned in the driver’s seat to face Katherine. “Why don’t you get some sleep? You look worn out and it’s going to take us a few days to get there.”

Katherine agreed and slipped into the back of the wagon and fell asleep.

The following day, on the main road heading to Gaerwn, when the sun started to set, Thomas became a little nervous about making it to the next town in time. Something suddenly startled the horses and sent them into a panic. Robbers came out of their hiding in the brush by the roadside and surrounded the wagon.

“Good evening, sir. Now if you’ll hand over all your money and valuables, we’ll let you be on your way.”

Memories filled Katherine’s head as she viewed their dusty clothes and stained knives. She let out a blood curdling scream, “NO!” A blast of energy, like wind, hit the robbers, throwing them backwards several feet into rocks and trees, rendering them unconscious. The top pieces of wood on the wagon suffered damage as well with chunks of wood missing and splinters sticking out. Thomas stared shocked. She breathed heavily as if she had just run many miles without rest. Her eye lids fluttered as she fainted falling sideways off the wagon.

A tall, older man appeared out of nowhere scooping Katherine in his arms before she hit the ground. His hair was light brown turning grey. He looked up at Thomas with olive green eyes. “Do not worry,” he addressed Thomas. “She will be alright. It is just a little exhaustion.”

“Thank you sir. May I ask who you are?”

“My name is Cronos Vanguard. I believe you have been looking for me just as much as I have been looking for her. If you do not mind, I will take her. You have done enough for her so far and I thank you for that. There is an inn a mile ahead with Knights staying there. They will collect these men but inform them not of what truly happened.”

Thomas thought it over briefly. He was unable to help Katherine any longer. “I leave her in your care then. Please take good care of her. Could you also give her this?” Thomas handed Cronos a letter. Cronos took it nodding. Thomas smiled at Katherine sleeping in Cronos’s arms and led the horses on. Cronos disappeared with Katherine on the spot.

Katherine woke up to the birds singing their morning song.

“Good morning. I hope you slept well. I am Cronos Vanguard. Do you realize how lucky it is that I found you yesterday?”

“Where’s Thomas?” She sat up in bed and ran her fingers through her tangled hair waiting for her brain to wake up with her body.

“I sent Thomas back home. He left this for you.” Cronos handed her the letter.

Katherine took it and set it on the bed to read later. “Where are we?”

“Ramsay Island, home to all Sorcerers. I am sure you have many more questions but first, you should eat something.” He motioned to a tray of food laid out on a nearby table. She got up and helped herself to the needed food. “While you are eating, I will explain why you are here and why I am here too. Katherine, your father comes from the prestigious Sorcerer family Philena. Although the fame your family once had died out centuries ago, the magic never did. I met your father when he himself was just a boy and I was studying to be a Sorcerer. It was my teacher who noticed that your father had a little magic in him but nothing that would qualify him as a Sorcerer. I did not see him again until your mother was carrying your older sister. Your father told me the stories about his family history and asked me to personally train his children if they showed any sign of magic. I agreed and did not hear from him again until he wanted me to come to train you and your brother. I did not receive his letter until a week ago and then learned about the attack on Kalia. I have been looking for you since.”

Katherine finished the last bite of her breakfast and thought to herself. She finally looked at Cronos. “Is training necessary? I thought girls with magic had their powers taken away.”

“Yes, normally a girl’s magic is bound but you are a special case. If your magic goes unchecked for too long, the consequences could be fatal, not only to you but those around you. That is why, at the very least, I wish to teach you how to control and use your magic. After that time, it is your choice what to do.”

She pondered this for a little bit. Her father’s last words wrung in her head, it’s meaning still unclear. “What do I have to do? I want to control my magic not only for safety but I also want to be able to help people with my magic if I can.” She wouldn’t mention to him for now that her ultimate goal would be to track down Alyssa and Zander with her powers.

Cronos smiled at her. “You are a very selfless person. Right now, the only thing you need to do is help me convince the Sorcerer’s Council to let me teach you. It is currently illegal for women to become Sorceresses but with at least ten years of training, they may have a different opinion of you.” She nodded and gave her approval. “Good, there is a clean outfit for you in the wash room. Come out when you are ready and we will go there right away.”

Cronos waited in the hallway outside of her room as Katherine washed and dressed. When she was ready, Cronos lead the way to the Sorcerer’s Council. Katherine could not determine the looks she was receiving from the people in the street but it made her feel small and unimportant. To them, she was just another girl going to get her magic sealed. On the walk, Katherine noticed only two or three women among the dozens of men. These women had nothing to do with anything magic on the island.

Cronos and Katherine arrived at Sorcerer’s Castle where the Sorcerer’s Council lived and conducted business. The castle was situated next to the ocean. A beautiful garden surrounded the three story building. They walked through the giant front doors and into the main entrance. There was a corridor to the right, left, and in front of them. A sign posted on the left hall pointed the way to the library. The right hall stated Sorcerer’s Test. They walked straight and came to a man at a desk in front of a pair of ornately decorated doors. “Sorcerers Council” was carved and painted into the stone above the doors.

“What may I do for you?” the man asked.

“Sorcerer Cronos Vanguard to see the Council.”

They were granted entrance to be presented to the Council and sat in chairs placed in the middle of the room. Seven old men sat behind a long table in high backed chairs at the back of the room. Tapestries hung all around the room while seven banners with coat of arms hung behind the Council.

The men started talking and Katherine tuned out for a while to think about how to find her brother and sister. She was successful in her act until part of the conversation caught her attention.

“You cannot teach the girl magic. It doesn’t matter what her background may be. The public will not accept it.”

“The public does not need to know. It is for her protection. She has magic and needs to control it.”

“We can use a binding spell on her like other girls.”

“I have already told you about the last people who were after the magic. Any knowledgeable Sorcerer would be able to break the bind. We do not know how strong her magic is either. If it is anywhere close to what I think it is, it is going to take much more energy from all of you then you may think. Her magic might also get to the point where it breaks the bind on its own.”

Katherine became frustrated with the men’s bickering over her. She was tired, she ached, and the discussion was going nowhere. With the new plans to find her siblings in mind, she stood. “I apologize for speaking out of place but I’ve heard enough. This is my life you are deciding. I do not care what you end up deciding because I will choose what I want to do. I’m going to learn magic. I do not want anyone to get hurt because of me. I want to be able to protect those who I care about and who can’t protect themselves. Now, if you’ll forgive me, I’ll excuse myself.” She swiveled around the chair on her heels and walked out of the silent room. Katherine waited outside the Council room for Cronos. Twenty minutes later, he came out.

Katherine looked up at him curiously. “After your little interruption, the Council conversed and voted. You showed confidence, determination, maturity, and above all, your willingness to protect others, all characteristics of the best Sorcerers’. In the vote, it was decided that you will be allowed to keep your powers.” She joyously squealed. Cronos continued, “And I am to be in charge of all of your training.”

Katherine smiled excitedly. “When do we start?” Her plan started now and would require her to become a Sorcerer. She would find Alyssa and Zander no matter what it took and with it, she would extract her revenge for her parent’s.

“First, our training will not be here. There are too many people who could see. This training is to be done in secret. So we are going to Gaerwn to the training grounds at the palace. I can get a private area there for our training. Now, let’s go gather our things. We will leave tonight.”

The next morning, they left on the first ship out and took the three day travel by sea along Lyssyria’s south coast. In Gaerwn, Cronos took her straight through the city and outside the city wall. They took a path along the river to a dead end at the wall again.

“Only the Kings trusted Knights and Sorcerers know of this gate. It is meant for emergency’s therefore no one will disturb us coming in and out this way.” He pulled a brick from the wall and pulled the lever it was concealing. A section of brick fell into the ground to a tunnel through the wall. It was just tall enough for a man on a horse to ride through. Cronos replaced the brick and they walked through. Inside the wall, he removed another brick and pulled this lever the opposite direction bringing the brick door back in place. He replaced the brick and turned to a large single story building. “This building is secluded and only the two of us will have access to it. Your training starts tomorrow, if you are ready.” Katherine nodded. “Bring your things inside to one of the sleeping rooms.”

The next day, Katherine ran into the training arena, ready to start.

“Good morning, Katherine. I hope you slept well. I am going to train you both physically and mentally on how to control your magic. There are ways to take away a Sorcerer’s powers and you will not be one to die because of that. Before I teach you any spells, you must learn the art of the sword, bow and arrow, and hand to hand combat. The work will be long and hard, are you ready?”

“Yes!”

During the next two years, Katherine immersed herself in her training, never leaving the building. Cronos constantly emphasized the importance of her secrecy. They would both suffer the punishment if she was discovered learning magic. Half of her days were spent training with Cronos and she rapidly accelerated in the physical training. The rest of the day was spent studying the piles of books Cronos assigned her. Only the memory of Zander studying diligently pushed her through the readings slowly retaining the information. Cronos also taught her to improve her writing which he regarded as a necessity. She practiced her skills writing letters to Thomas and Ella which Cronos would send. She was glad Cronos would leave for days at a time to let her practice privately. Cronos had other work and a family to look after as well. Katherine’s room was her private area that Cronos respected by never entering. She always kept her mother’s necklace next to her bed, a constant reminder to keep moving forward, to live.

“Good, now do it again.”

Katherine took another arrow and fastened it to the bow string. She pulled back on the string to her full capacity and released it. She watched as the arrow skimmed the target.

“Only time will improve your aim. That will be it for today. I almost forgot. You know the entire training grounds will be closed for the next week. Everyone must vacate the premises by tomorrow night. You will be coming with me to my house.”

“Wouldn’t it be a problem for your family?”

“No, it is no problem at all.”

“Alright, I’ll stay with you. Cronos, you never talk much about your family. What are they like?”

“My wife died almost four years ago.”

“Oh, I’m sorry if I brought up anything I shouldn’t have”, Katherine interrupted.

Cronos smiled at her. “It is alright. I have five children, three boys and two girls. Cole, my oldest, is an archer in the Royal Guard. Natalie works in a clinic that she and her husband run. Natalie is also in charge of the house, even when I am around”, he chuckled. “Then there is Louisa. She is still trying to find what she wants to do but she shows a great interest when she is at the clinic with Natalie. Next is Salem who is studying magic. I have lost touch with him over the years. He tends to keep to himself most of the time. Finally, there is Andrew. Andrew is your age and is training to be a Sorcerer Knight. He has a lot of potential.”

Katherine looked confused. “If he wants to be a Sorcerer, why aren’t you training him?”

Cronos sighed, “Andrew insists on learning his own way and to get help from other Sorcerers. I think he does not want to grow up to be known as a copy of myself. I can understand that.”

“It sounds like you have a nice family Cronos.”

Cronos laughed, “I am glad you like them so far. Now, go get your things and we can leave soon and be there in time for dinner.”

Katherine agreed and did as she was told.

“Are you ready?” Katherine nodded. “Good, but before we go, I have a present for you.” He took her to the small horse shelter on the side of the building where two horses were waiting. The palomino mare Katherine recognized as Cronos’s horse but the other, a dark bay mare, was new. “Her name is Willow and she is all yours. You will need a way to get around easier when your training is complete. You must get accustomed to her and her to you. She is well trained but she is feisty and has a lot of energy.”

The horse turned her head as Katherine approached. Katherine gently reached out her hand and let Willow sniff her hand before stroking the soft coat of her neck.

“Shall we go?” Cronos interrupted.

Katherine nodded and mounted her horse. Cronos lead her through the hidden entrance, to the north gate, then across town through the upper and middle class districts to a house on the edge of the lower class district. A larger house stood out of place on the street with a sign on the front of it marking it as a medical clinic. He turned into an alley then into the house’s small stable.

“Your house is huge!” Katherine exclaimed.

“The front portion of the house is for the clinic. The upstairs and back half is the actual house.” They settled the horses down and removed their tack before going inside. “Hello? Is anyone here?” Cronos called into the empty back entry.

“Father!” A thinly built girl a few years older than Katherine ran up and hugged Cronos. The sides of her long blonde hair were pulled back out of her face. Her eyes were a darker more radiant shade of green then Cronos’s. Two men in their early twenties came up behind the girl. One was taller and was almost an exact copy of Cronos except for long hair and a goatee while the other had dark auburn hair and hazel eyes.

“Who do you have behind you?”

“Ah, yes, this is Katherine. She is the family friend I told you who will be staying with us for the week. Katherine, this is Louisa, Cole, and my son-in-law, Gavin.” Katherine said hello and smiled sheepishly.

“Natalie’s in the kitchen, Salem has secluded himself again, and Andrew is busy practicing”, Cole reported to his father.

Cronos frowned slightly for a second and then clapped his hand and resumed his normal smile. “Well, come in and meet Natalie. Salem and Andrew you will not be able to meet until dinner.” Katherine followed behind everyone else into the kitchen. A young woman similar to Louisa but taller was busy with many different pots and pans. “Natalie, do you have enough for one more?”

Natalie looked up and smiled at Katherine. “Of course I do. With five men in the house I have to have enough.” Introductions were made once again. “You’re welcome as long as you like, Katherine. Louisa, why don’t you show Katherine where she’ll be staying and then make sure to wash up. Dinner will be ready soon.”

Louisa lead Katherine down the hall and upstairs as Natalie continued to give orders to the rest of the family. Katherine laughed under her breath. When Louisa looked at her questioningly, Katherine explained, “Your father had said Natalie was in charge of the house.” Louisa laughed too. “Does everyone in your family live here?”

“No, but there’s enough room for everyone. Gavin and Natalie have the master bedroom because Dad and Cole live at the palace most of the time. Salem, Andrew, and I each have our own room. You’ll be sharing a room with me this week because Cole and Dad are home. I hope that’s not a problem.”

“No, not at all. I haven’t shared a room in a long time.” Katherine didn’t mention the fact that Cronos was the only person she had really had contact with since coming to Gaerwn.

“Good, well, the wash room is at the end of this hallway and you can set your things down and come back downstairs when you’re ready. If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask.” Katherine thanked her. Louisa went to the next door down on the other side of the hall and pounded on it. “Salem! Dinner’s ready!”

Katherine set her bag down and went to wash up. She met Louisa at the bottom of the stairs. They walked into the dining room together where two more boys sat at the table.

Cronos cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. “Salem, Andrew, this is Katherine. She will be staying with us this week.” Katherine greeted each of them. Andrew had sandy brown hair and vibrant green eyes. Salem was the odd one out in the family with dark brown hair that was almost black and his father’s hazel eyes.

Salem glared at Katherine before standing up. “I’m not hungry. I’ll be in my room.” He left as quickly as possible.

Natalie shook her head. “He’s been spending a lot of time shut up in his room recently.”

Cole stood up for his brother. “He’s going through a phase.”

Natalie sighed, “I hope that’s all it is.”

Dinner resumed in silence for a while before a normal conversation could start. The week went by quickly and Katherine spent a majority of her time with Louisa and Natalie. On her last day, everyone was sad to see Katherine leave and Katherine was sad to leave as well. Before she left, Natalie and Cole pulled Katherine aside to talk with her in private.

Natalie looked at Cole and then at Katherine. “We know the truth.”

“What are you talking about?” Katherine got a little nervous.

Cole chuckled. “We know that you have been training with our father.”

The shock was too obvious on Katherine’s face. “How do you know?”

Natalie took a deep breath. “Since we know your secret, it’s only fair that you know mine. I’m a Sorceress. Not an official Sorceress but I do know magic. That’s what I do for some of our clients in the clinic. Father taught me most of what I know.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

Natalie continued, “Because your training isn’t going to get any easier. Cole and I want to offer our experience. I know a lot about healing magic and I’m learning more and more every day.”

“I can help you with your aim. If my father’s teaching you, he isn’t going to be much help with the details. Even his aim is off. I guess that’s why he wonders how I got to be such a good shot”, Cole chuckled.

Katherine smiled at them. “Thank you. I think I’ll take you up on your offer.” Cole and Natalie smiled back.

Natalie fidgeted a little and cleared her throat. “Well, I guess we better join the others or Father will start to wonder where you went.” Natalie held Katherine back slightly while Cole went back to the hall first. She whispered into Katherine’s ear, “Feel free to come see me about women matters that you don’t feel comfortable talking to my father about.” Katherine blushed but nodded her agreement. Final goodbyes to Katherine were said before she and Cronos returned to the training grounds.

A few more years passed as Cronos taught Katherine spells and her strength and speed doubled. She enveloped herself in training. To her amazement, she enjoyed reading much more. She always had to leave through the secret gate to exercise Willow or go into town. She mainly left for lessons in archery from Cole and lessons in healing and charms from Natalie. Other times she would push her skills by secretly observing others on the training grounds. She would listen to their conversations and learn knew moves with a sword. These men had the best news of Knights, politics, and world events. She preferred it over the gossip she heard on her way to and from the Vanguard residence.

Over the years, Katherine not only grew in her skills but her appearance too. She no longer resembled the gangly girl she once was. She had grown much taller and had an athletic look that complemented her as she matured into womanhood. Finally, it was only weeks away from her fifteenth birthday.

Static clung to the air around Katherine as she sat and meditated. The static condensed into tiny sparks of electricity, flinging themselves every way around her. The bolts gathered speed until they combined into one, striking the ground in front of Katherine.

“Good”, Cronos critiqued her. “We seem to have found your second element. You by far are the fastest learner I have ever seen. You just did in minutes what would take most adult’s months to learn. Now, do it again but do it quicker.”

Katherine did as she was told and accomplished the task in half the time as it first took her. She kept practicing until she was interrupted by a voice behind her.

“Father!” She turned around to see Andrew marching up behind her. Andrew was now taller than her and his years training were also apparent in his appearance.

“How did he get in here?” Katherine questioned. Cronos had many spells to prevent intruders from entering unannounced and discovering Katherine.

Cronos watched his son with intrigue. “He knows my magic. It does not seem surprising that he can get past my barrier.”

“What is the meaning of this? Why is she here?” Andrew demanded.

Cronos told him the truth. “Katherine is my apprentice.”

Andrew stared at his father and started to laugh. Cronos’s face stayed expressionless. His laughter died as his gaze turned to Katherine, not having moved from her practice. His face clouded with anger. “This is not acceptable. She is a girl! She cannot learn magic. It is forbidden!”

“She has permission from the Sorcerer’s Council to learn under my guidance. She needed training and I was willing to teach her. What is the difference between her and your sisters?”

Andrew directed his all of his anger directly at Katherine. “And just what are you planning to do after you finish your training? You cannot practice magic in public and even if you could, no one would want your help.”

Katherine studied a rock on the ground not wanting to look Andrew in the eye. “I haven’t really thought of that. I just wanted to learn magic and I love swordsmanship. If I could pick anything to do, I would want to be a...a...a”, she blushed and her voice lowered. “A Sorcerer Knight.”

Andrew stared at her in shock. His hand flied up to cover his mouth as he roared with laughter. “You? A Sorcerer Knight?”

Katherine jumped to her feet and glared at Andrew with rage in her eyes. “I am going to become a Sorcerer Knight and I will use any means possible to reach that position. When I do, you will have to recognize me for what I can do. I will not let anything or anyone get in my way.”

Andrew stopped laughing and returned her glare. “Hmpf! I would like to see you try.” He turned on his heels and stormed off.

Katherine looked at Cronos. “Andrew won’t tell anyone about me, will he? I will become a Sorcerer Knight, no matter what it takes.”

“No, if he told on you, he would be obligated to tell on Natalie and Louisa and he would never do that.” Cronos sighed. “Very well. You know they will never allow a woman Knight or Sorcerer. If you can find a way to do it, I will help you prepare for the test required to become a Sorcerer Knight.”

Katherine leapt on Cronos in a big embrace. “Thank you!” She ran back to her room.

The following day Cronos was waiting for Katherine for their training session. She walked toward him very different in appearance. Her chest was bound tight and almost completely flat. Her long hair now barely touched her shoulders. She stopped in front of him.

“Good morning!” Her voice was a little deeper than normal. Without looking too in depth, she looked like a young man. “How do I look?” She turned around. “Andrew said they won’t allow a woman so I decided to look like a man.”

“Like a fine young man.” Cronos smiled mischievously.

“There’s just one last thing. From now on, I want you to call me Kale Cohen.”

“You have surprised me yet again, this time more than normal. Tell me, if you become a Sorcerer Knight, what will you do about your woman side? You cannot hope that you can keep it hidden forever.”

“I don’t plan to remain a man all of the time. When I’m not needed as a Knight, I will be Lady Katherine, twin sister of Knight Kale. I will need to work on a story for Kale’s background. I will look like a man but I will always be a woman. Not a bad plan so far, huh?”

“I can still see a few flaws in this plan but we will work them out later. Right now, we must get back to where we left off yesterday.”

Another year passed as Katherine prepared herself to become a Sorcerer Knight. Andrew only came two other times to view her progress. She trusted her magic and spent more and more time reading. The closer to the rank she became, the closer she was to finding what happened to her siblings.

Cronos interrupted her early one day. “I think you are finally ready. There is nothing more that I can teach you that you cannot learn with practice or experience. You know what to expect, you just need to tell me when you wish to take the test.”

Cronos had explained many times what the Sorcerers test would be like. The test would take place on Ramsay Island. She would be tested on her usage and knowledge of magic. If she passed or failed was up to the Sorcerers Council. The test was usually taken when a man was at least twenty and had a minimum of ten years of training. Katherine was sixteen and had trained for only six years. On their arrival, Cronos would have to ask the Council their approval to let Katherine take the test as Kale since they had only granted her training thus far.

“I want to leave two days from now. There is still one more thing that I wish to practice.”

“Very well, I will remain here until you are ready. Will you need my help with your practice?”

“No, I’ll be getting help from another source.”

Cronos smiled in understanding and dismissed her. Try as she did her side adventures were discovered by Cronos. He did not punish her, only teach her to improve.

Katherine left to the training grounds stable to get Willow. A few of the stable hands greeted her. She hadn’t met them until she had donned Kale’s persona and started making public appearances as Kale. The mare tossed her head around at the sight of Katherine with a soft whinny of welcome. Katherine stroked her neck to calm her down again before saddling her. “You know where to go,” she told the horse. Willow snorted and took off at a brisk trot down the familiar streets. They soon arrived at the house and clinic. Katherine put Willow away in the house’s stable and walked into the clinic.

“Hold still, this won’t hurt.” Natalie’s voice cried in annoyance yet trying to sound kind. Katherine walked in to see Natalie, a man, and his son. The small boy shied away from Natalie as she finished wrapping his hand. Katherine noticed that the bandages were coated in Natalie’s magic for pain relief and to reduce swelling. Only a trained Sorcerer would be able to sense it. “It’s only a small sprain and should be better within two weeks. Try not to use it that much and no heavy lifting, understand?”

The boy nodded and hopped off of the bed. His father shook Natalie’s hand. “Thank you, you’ve helped me yet again.”

“It’s my pleasure, Mr. Walker. Make sure to take care of yourself too. Tell Mrs. Walker I said ‘hello’ and let me know if any other complications arise.” Mr. Walker nodded and left with his son. “Kathy! I wasn’t expecting you. Come on in. What can I do for you?”

“I’m going to be going to the Sorcerer’s Council and should be taking my Sorcerers Test two days from today. Since charms and healing are my worst applications in Sorcery, I was wondering if you could test me on my skills to help me prepare.” Katherine twiddled with her hands behind her back.

“Of course I can.” Natalie smiled lively at Katherine. “Everyone is going to be gone or rarely here for the next day so you can have all my time unless we get an emergency at the clinic.”

“Where’s Sandria?” Katherine asked concerned with the where about of Natalie’s and Gavin’s toddler daughter.

“Gavin took her to visit his family. Someone has to watch the clinic and Louisa has plans with friends this week. You shouldn’t be too worried since you won’t be tested very much on healing since it isn’t your specialty.” Natalie frowned. Katherine was looking down at the floor, scuffing her foot lightly against the floor with a puzzled expression on her face. “What’s on your mind?” Natalie recognized the pose and leaned back in her chair.

Katherine timidly looked up at Natalie. “If you could, would you become a Healer Sorceress?”

Natalie wasn’t taken completely by surprise by the question and then went into deep thought. “I’ve asked myself that many times over the years. I thought about it a lot when I was younger and just started secretly training under my father. Then, I would have quickly said yes but now I’m not so sure.” Natalie saw the worry on Katherine’s face and quickly continued. “It’s just that I’m fine the way things are now. I would love the accreditation but I’ve always wondered if I would get more customers if I was a Sorceress or if we would lose customers because people would not trust a Sorceress over a Sorcerer. Does that help?”

“Yes, I think it does. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now, I’m not going to go easy on you with practice.”

Katherine smiled, “I wouldn’t expect anything less from you Natalie.”

Natalie stood and started. “What spells did I put onto the boy’s bandages?”

The two days passed by and Katherine waited patiently for Cronos to arrive at their meeting place. Katherine looked at him curiously. His attire did not seem fit for travel but more for court. She studied herself comparing their clothes. Katherine’s clothes were nice but much worn.

Cronos noticed her self-inspection. He chuckled, “Do not worry about your appearance. The way you look is fine for now. We are going to be using teleportation.”

She did not like when he surprised her. Teleportation was only allowed by certified Sorcerers. She had read that only Sorcerers were given the means for teleportation and it required more learning after to master it.

“Alright, but a warning beforehand would have been nice.” She looked down at her attire once more. “Should I go and change?”

“You look fine. I only need to be this formal since I will be meeting with the Sorcerer’s Council soon after our arrival. Are you sure you still want to do this?”

Katherine gave a firm nod. “Let’s do this. I’m all ready.”

“Then, grab your bag and hold on tight.” He placed a hand on her shoulder and in the blink of an eye, Cronos and Katherine disappeared.

© Copyright 2008 Ayame Karisuma (ayamekarisuma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1509669-Sorceress-Ch-1-Apprentice