*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510815-Play--prologue
by Poison
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1510815
Prologue of my teen(present-day)fantasy novel,'Play',abt a devil trying 2 help an angel.
Play.

You can play a lot of things. Songs on guitars. Board games. Sports. With dolls, dogs, hearts and minds.

Right now, what we're playing is a game.
I'm sitting between my peers, as we crowd around the computer.
Tanya is playing.
Ankit is listening.
Both seem to be interested in the game.

I'm not.
I already know what'll happen.

Tanya'll go upto level 17, and get shot by the boss and die.
Thats what always happens.
Also, i'm thinking about other important things that i have to do. Decisions i have to make.

Tanya just got shot. What a suprise.

Ankit is acting weird today.
Usually, by this point, he whines that he wants to play, we shut him up, and Tanya starts a new game.

Tanya looks at me. I shrug. She starts a new game.
The CD whirs softly in the drive as the game loads.

I look at ankit. Maybe he's thinking. No one except tanya can really ever tell.

I look at tanya.
She's leaning back in her chair, eyes glued to the screen, mentally urging it to load faster. Its slightly cloudy outside, but a ray of sunlight somehow manages to sneak past and is illuminate her face and make her jet black hair look goldenish.
She looks beautiful.

The game starts suddenly. She jumps up, alert, and her long, nimble fingers automatically position themselves over the correct keys.
The light isn't on her face anymore.

I continue to watch her as she plays. How she stares intently at the screen, her fingers tapping away, swearing occasionally when she's shot.
I'm still staring, taking it all in. Dunno for how much more time i'll be with her. I want to soak it all in. Keep her memory with me for later. Have simple, normal moments like these carefully preserved in my mind to remind me of the most nice, sweet, lovable and special person i've ever met.


Eesh. I sound lesbo.
But she is the best friend i've ever had.

Suddenly, i feel someone's hand entwine with mine.
Its Ankit.

Ok.
This is weird.
He touches people only when its convenient for him, and he does it in a way that make my insides shudder and quiver and die.
He is NOT supposed to like me. This is NOT how things are supposed to go.

"You'll get killed if you don't watch what you do", he says softly.
A chill goes up my spine. I try to pull my hand away gently. "i'm not playing", i say.
He tightens his grip around my hand and shakes his head slightly. "yes, you are."


A couple of things fly through my mind.

1) what the hell is he talking about?

2) does he know anything?

3) how the hell did i get here?



Well...
To answer that, i'll have to start a little earlier.

Where do i start?

Yeah, yeah, i know... I should start from the "beginning", but i don't even know when that is.

Maybe its the day i met Tanya. Maybe its the day Ara met Ray. Maybe its the day i got addicted to breaking the rules. Maybe its the day i was born, the day we were born, or the day the whole universe was created.

The last seems fine.


Watch the reels of the movie spin as it plays.

Rewind...

Stop.

Play...
© Copyright 2009 Poison (subohi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510815-Play--prologue