*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510840-Book-of-the-Past-Chapter-Two
Rated: E · Chapter · Young Adult · #1510840
Shawn Revers is once again faced with the burdens of the book. . .
         I couldn’t believe it! I looked at the pile of leaves with the small piece of purple peeking through the heap of fall colors. I had found the book at last!
         I slowly circled it, staring at the volume with awe, yet also cautious of its magical abilities.
         I gradually reached down to push the leaves off its cover and pick it up. I was a little nervous to open it after what had happened last time.
         I stared at it for several minutes. It was ironic how I had been looking for the book for weeks and now I had finally found it and I didn’t know what I was going to do with it.
         I turned it over and over in my hands. The cover was made of silk, but badly ruined from centuries of weather and nature.
         I finally got gutsy enough after several minutes of observing the book and decided to open it.
         The first page was just like any other book. The volume was entitled Book of the Past. In the bottom left corner of the front cover was an inscription. This book is the property of Meredith Haynes.
         How can the book of the past and portal into the land of the dead have been owned by a living breathing person? I questioned myself.
         I abruptly dropped the book. It had . . . No a book can’t do that. But I was positive the book had just sent a shock through and hand and up into my arm.
         The book came to life at my feet sending pages flying into a massive circle around me. The once familiar blue light erupted out of its binding sending a cobra up into the air around me.
         The cobra stared viciously at me, waiting to taste its new found treat. The cobra arched back. I cowered like a small puppy, pitifully.
         Then, the cobra swiftly struck at me. Its mouth engulfed my body.
         I felt the heat before the pain. It felt as if I was swimming in a boiling ocean with no coast.
         My body writhed carelessly in every direction trying to escape the pain, the torture.
         What had I done? The heat began to subside and I was blinded by a vast amount of light. My feet made contact with ground, but it was so unexpected I fell to ground helpless. The bright light allowed me to see only a few feet in front of me.
         Where was I? It was one of the most beautiful places I had every seen. The grass was of a shade I had never seen before. No grass had every been as beautiful as this. Certainly not.
         The world around me began to come into focus. Everything was better than anything I’d every seen before. The shade of blue in the sky was something I could not fathom, could not describe.
         I was on a dirt road several yards away from a busy market place. The voices of bustling people and cash registers gradually fell into my ears.
         I slowly got to my feet taking in all the scents, noises, and people. Nothing like this could exist on ‘our planet’.
         Even though so many people were in such a small place everything was so peaceful. Small groups convened at convenient locales throughout the city.
         The sounds of the city seemed to by rhythmical, even musical.
           I heard a horse trotting up behind me. I turned to see an old woman reigning her horse and cart  to  a stop a couple of yards away from me.
         “Are you ok?” the old woman asked feebly.
         I look around, dazed.
         “Where am I?” I asked.
         “Why, you’re in Gulso, of course,” the lady said matter-of-factly, “Might I ask where you are from?”
         “Bell City,” I replied
         “Bell City? Never heard of it.”
         “It’s in California.”
         “Where is California?” the woman asked dumbfounded.
         How could anyone not know where California was? I got that feeling again, and suddenly everything began to fall into place. I had been sucked into the Land of the Dead.
         The old lady began to stare at me curiously.
         “Revers. . .” she whispered mysteriously. How did this lady know my name?
         The old lady sprang from the seat of her horse carriage as if she were much younger, and bowed at my feet.
         “Master Revers, you have returned!”
         “Wait, wait! What are you talking about?” I asked hurriedly.
         “Master?” The lady stared at me oddly.
         “What do you mean , Master?” I asked quickly.
         “You are a Teaser,” the lady said as if that should suffice.
         “What is a teaser?” The lady stared at me is if I had committed a horrible sin. It made me put my head into my chest sheepishly.
         “A teaser is a direct descendant of the book’s creator. All teasers have special powers, and you are the only living relative of the royal bloodline.”
         I stared at the woman with my mouth hanging wide open. She had to have me confused with someone else. If I was a teaser, and that only living one at that, that would mean that. . . That. . .
         “What about my parents?” I asked quickly with a hint of sadness fading into my voice.
         I knew what she was going to say before she even said it.
         “You are adopted. We choice to protect you from the Yewlejest by giving you up into the other world.
         That sounded so strange to me- the other world.
         “Who are the Yewlejest?” I asked, trying to stay calm.
         “The Yewlejest are members of an anti-book group. They want the book destroyed.”
         It all fell into place once more, it was as the puzzle got bigger and bigger, yet only certain pieces fell into place.
         Meredith Haynes. That means that. . .
         “Meredith Haynes. . .” I started.
         “She is your mother,” the woman said quickly, continuing to stare at me.
         How ironic, I thought. My mother, or adopted mother, was planning on handing over to me the family heirloom of her family, yet it was a small, purple book that I was destined to receive.
         This was too much to take in at one time.
         “Please,” the lady said softly, “come sit with me on my carriage. You look ill.”
         “Is there anyway to bring the souls home?” I asked quickly remembering my fatal mistake.
         “Well, the prophecy says that the creator of the book must be there when the book is destroyed. . .”
         I cut her off quickly.
         “But why destroy the book there’s no other way? What will happen to all of you?”
         “There are other worlds out there, Shawn,” she said the next part seriously and stone faced, “The only way to bring the souls back his to find Meredith Haynes, your mother. And fast!”

© Copyright 2009 P.H. Savage (savagerox001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1510840-Book-of-the-Past-Chapter-Two