*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511531-The-Intrepid-Flyer
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1511531
A very short trip down a side street of my mind
The Intrepid Flyer

Frank Mason



Lightning flared, splitting the night sky like a devils pitchfork…And the intrepid flyer blinked against the dazzle in his eyes.

Thunder blasted through the heavens, in a deafening roar, shaking all in its wrath…And the intrepid flyer flinched instinctively.

Spates of rain blew first in one direction and then another as if confused and embarrassed by its inability to choose…And the intrepid flyer tensed.

Wind whipped and howled and blustered, wailing like a tormented spirit lost to eternity…And the intrepid flyer persevered.

Straining to keep control, every iota of energy focused on reaching his destination, his life’s mission, now at last in sight. Summoning all his strength, marshalling his reserves and draining his soul of every vestige of strength, he poured it all into one last, rending effort…lower…closer…buffeting crosswinds! Must…maintain…control!

Touchdown! Success at last! The harrowing ordeal is over!

Reveling in his triumphant achievement the fly preens his wings, folds them back and begins to savor the discarded piece of cake under the picnic table.

© Copyright 2009 Frank Mason (frankmason at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1511531-The-Intrepid-Flyer