*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512797-What-I-will-pay-for-love
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ChrisH
Rated: E · Chapter · Friendship · #1512797
Chapter in a story that I'm writing
The wind was blowing wafting the smell of freshly cut grass into my nose. Tears welled up her eyes. She tried to blink them back. "Don't you see" I whispered grabbing her by the waist and pulling her closer so I could whisper it. "See what?" she asked looking in my eyes trying to decipher what I was saying. "That I'm here and nothing will hurt you, not while I'm around'" I opened my mouth flashing my teeth. She looked at me for a long moment. "You know I don't love you like that." she said pulling herself out of my arms. "Yeah I know, I just you'd like to know how I felt and even though you don't like me the same way I'm still going to protect you. I hate seeing you like you were yesterday. I vow to you that I will always be there for you. No matter what happens." I sat down on the bench looking up flashing my teeth again. She sat down next to me weaving her fingers gently into mine. "But why?" she said whispered so quite I could barely hear her. I sat there for a moment staring out into the trees of the park. Gazing out onto the gold and yellow of the newly arrived autumn season. Leafs danced with the warm wind that blew against our faces. Moving majestically around the grass. I took a deep breath hoping it would keep my voice level. "Because it hurts me to see you in pain that way. I just want you to be happy no matter what has happened in the past." I turned to look at her and I met her gaze. Her eyes were swelling with tears. I dislodged my fingers from hers, grabbing her in a tight hug. "Whatever it takes to make you happy. No matter the price, I will pay it. As long as you’re fine, I’ll be ok too." I said my voice starting to shake. “Why be so self sacrificing? Why spend the time on me?” She said never breaking the hug “You still don’ see it. I love you. Not the traditional teenage love. This is unconditional love. The kind where you don’t have to give anything back.” I broke the hug and sat back. Tears now freely rolled down her face. “Please don’t do that.” Her voice breaking at the end. “Oh it’s far too late for that now, I’ve already met you.” I smiled brushing the tears away from her face with the back of my finger. “Now let’s get you home. It’s getting late.” I stood up, grabbing her hand to help her up as well. I ventured as far to try and weave my fingers into hers. She sighed pulling her hand free of mine and set the walking pace. Forcing me to take a few long strides to catch back up with her. “I’m sorry” I said getting in step with hers. Letting her set the pace. We walked most of the way in silence. My mind was elsewhere. I was drawn out by the sound of her voice. “Why?” she asked looking up at me. “Didn’t we go over this already?” I chuckled. “No, I mean why do you love me?” She said continued staring at me. “Well let me answer your question with another question. Do you know yourself?” I stopped walking to stare at her more intently. ”Well of cor….” I cut off her sentence. “It was rhetorical.” I said smiling and looking up at the fading sky noticing the first star of the night. “I thought of something. I think you see yourself as a human sees a star.” I pointed to the only star in the sky. “From your perspective you are small and you’re just like every other star out there. See how the edges look blurred?” She looked at the star with a curious gaze. “Yeah I guess” She eyed me trying to figure out what I would say next “Well that’s because of the atmosphere.” I paused to stare at her for a moment. “From your eyes your biased opinion on your life blurs reality, but me, I see you from a true perspective. So staying with the metaphor I am in space. I don’t see you through the murky mindset you see yourself through.” I paused taking a breath. “You don’t see how different you are from everyone else” She stared at me for a long moment, and then started walking again without a word. We walked the rest of the way to her house with no words. To me it seemed as she was almost in a daze. We rounded the corner to her street. I looked down on her, but her eyes were aimed straight down the road. I decided to prod a little. “What are you thinking right now?” I asked as she turned her head towards mine. “Really I’m not sure.” She looked back at the sidewalk ahead of her. “What do you mean?” I continued prodding. “I’m not really sure what to make of the day just yet.” We were at her door at this point. “Will you tell me when you have?” I said looking at the ground. “Of course I will.” She said reaching for me and pulling me into a hug. She broke off the hug after a few seconds and headed for the door. “Wait” I called after her. She turned and stared at me her head slightly cocked to one side. “I’ll understand if you don’t want to be around me after this, but I will still be there for you as much as I can be.” She stared at me for a long moment. “I promise today wont change anything” she assured me. She turned and disappeared behind a closing door.
© Copyright 2009 ChrisH (highawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512797-What-I-will-pay-for-love