*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513362-Gravitational-Pull
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #1513362
friendship
I had spent the night at Lisa's house again. I was spending more and more time there. More and more nights, too. It was one of those times, when I just didn't want to go home. I was feeling disconnected to that house, and preferred being somewhere else. Cramped in her little bedroom, we were getting dressed for school. I remember how we had the radio on and the DJ was talking about the big news for the day. The planets were aligning and the world was going to end. It was believed that the gravitational pull of all the outer "giant" planets, once lined up, would play tug-of-war with the sun, and the earth was in the middle of it. Earthquakes would destroy Los Angeles. And I guess the rest of us would be torn to shreds somehow. Then the DJ played "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones. To this day, I always associate that song with that uncertain morning in 1982. It wasn't that I was worried the world was ending. On the contrary, I knew it wasn't.
I knew it would be just another day.

I was 12 and in 7th grade. I felt, like I imagine many 12 year olds do, that I didn't really fit in anywhere. My brothers were older and in high school, so I didn't have them to lean on. I had glasses and I was smart, so the boys I liked always liked someone else. But I had Lisa, and she had me. She was in the same boat, or at least the boat docked next to mine. Her brothers were even older and in college. So we got to be like sisters, blood sisters, even. We took a razor blade and made small slices into our fingers, then pressed them together so our blood would mingle. We wore our band-aids proudly, but not telling anyone what we had done.

I thought it would be quite unfair for the world to end just yet. I hadn't done much being only 12. I envied Lisa because she could play the piano. I wanted to learn, so I figured the world couldn't end until I did at least that. I also wanted to be rid of my glasses. Just a couple years before, there were plenty of boys that liked me. I didn't have glasses then, and I guess as long as you look good, you don't necessarily need to see well. The boys prefer it that way. You can't see their awkwardness as easily. But here I was, full of it now, tripping over it everyday. So my desires at the time were few. I wanted the boy I liked, to like me. I wanted to go home and sleep comfortably there. I wanted to learn to play the piano. I wasn't asking for much.

The alignment, the gravitational pull, was all anyone could talk about that day. Why did we need to be in school when the world was ending? Shouldn't we be with our families? Shouldn't we be at home? Or at least somewhere other than here? Some people believed. The others scoffed at the stupidity of it. My science class was reassured by Mr. Weinman, that the alignment meant nothing. It was merely an astronomical phenomenon that has happened before, and would, undoubtedly happen again. But there were questions, and he patiently answered all of them, no matter how ridiculous. He explained that the Sun's gravitational pull was much stronger than all the planets combined. The effect of all the giants lined up would not make any difference. I guess some people wanted to believe. They found comfort in it. They wanted it to be over, but I was just beginning. One kiss from John Simms wasnt enough for me. I wanted more.

Lisa was my partner in crime. We did everything together. I was even there when she smoked her first cigarette, and later, when she lost her virginity. We laughed a lot, at ourselves and others. She stuck up for me, and I for her. One time, in the lunch room, this girl, Stacey, wanted Lisa to sit with her. But she didn't like me, and when Stacey told Lisa I wasn't welcome, Lisa told her to fuck off. Thanks, Lisa, you're a true friend.

After school, we walked back to Lisa's house. God, it was hot, but then it was always hot in south Florida. The sub-tropics, that's where we lived. When they say, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity," they ain't lyin'. So when we walked in the door, we dropped our books all over the floor, and headed straight for the kitchen. We drank Cokes right out of the bottle. I only learned later that I should drink water. That's the gift of life, not Coke, like they want you think. Don't think, just buy.

Lisa and I hung out in the den, where the A/C was blowing full blast, and the TV had us mesmerized. After a full day of discussions about history, math, proper uses of the English language, and the end of the world, we needed to disconnect. And TV is perfect for that, especially when youre 12. Once relaxed, though, I couldn't help but be drawn to the piano in the corner. I placed my fingers on the keys and pounded away. "Ode to Joy" was what I heard pouring out of me, even as my fingers fumbled. I realized, it was only in my head, as I hadn't learned to play the piano yet. But it wasn't such a bad day after all. The world was still intact.


© Copyright 2009 scarletgirl (scarletgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1513362-Gravitational-Pull