*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514167-Shoes-and-laces
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1514167
How shoes and shoelaces came to be.
Gorb stood on the edge of the forbidden area. Looking at the desolate landscape before him, he reflected on the promise he made earlier to his clan.

"I will cross the wasted land to better hunting and return in a moon's cycle."

Gorb was not one of his clans' best hunters. This was his opportunity to advance himself in the clan. If he could somehow cross and bring back proof of game, his status would be much greater than it was now. Higher status for him meant choicer food, better living conditions and the regard that the clan had for him. He just had to complete the promise and his life would be better all around.

Gorb had travelled three moons just to reach this point. All he had to do was cross the burning sands and find animals to hunt. He could see no shade between him and the horizon. To walk on the burning sand barefoot was something the clan did not do. It was said that the sand held an evil that was not to be named lest it gain control of the one who walked.

He took out his flint knife and removed his wrap. After cutting two pieces from it he put it aside. The thong that held his wrap on was extra long and he made two more cuts, shortening it. He then put his wrap back on and tied it with the shortened thong. He sat down and put the first of the two pieces of wrap around one of his feet and tied it in place then did the same to the other foot.

Standing up, he wiggled his toes within the confinement he had created. It was uncomfortable but he felt that he could endure the footwear. Bravely, he stepped out onto the sands and walked about for a few moments. His feet did not burn as much as when he was barefoot.

His waterskin was full and he ventured ahead.

Four days of walking found Gorb at an oasis. Two more days went by and he could see grass in the distance. He hurried out of the sandy waste and came upon a herd of deer at a waterhole just over a grassy hilltop. Hunting here was easy as the deer did not see him as a threat. He threw his spear at the herd hitting a doe. It was an easy kill.

He cut some of the choicest bits to take back to his clan and, knowing what was ahead, started out the next morning.

The clan made much of him when he returned exclaiming over the dried meat he had brought. When asked how he had achieved so great a task, Gorb showed his footwear to the clan.

A few moons later all of the people in the clan had footwear and were packed to go across the burning sands to new hunting grounds with Gorb in the lead.

This is how I see one possibility of how shoes and shoelaces came to be.



Word count: 500
© Copyright 2009 Doc Bones (biscuitboar65 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514167-Shoes-and-laces