*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514807-WatchinYour-Back
by Misery
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Friendship · #1514807
The sadness one feels when knowing your wish can not be fulfilled.
I still remember your hand against mine on the staircase. It was warm, compared to the mid-winter frost. Were you wearing gloves? Or are your hands always warm? Either way, I was happy. Even if it was a trivial coincidence, I was happy.



That was the winter I fell in love.



You were there, smiling and laughing with me. We had so much fun together. Laughing, pulling pranks, running wildly in the night; wherever we were, we were smiing.



"Watch my back!" You'd always say, before jumping behind a fence, or into someone's open garage.



And I would smile. "I always will!" I respond, waving to send you off. Who knew such innocent words could have a deeper meaning?



Then we separated. The next winter, I celebrated it alone. You weren't there, you turned your back. Was it my fault that we got detention that day? We always did, but why were you mad? Were you betting on victory so much that your heart failed to respond to friendship, and forgiveness?



I could not tell.



But indeed, I never stopped watching your back. Since two winters ago, to now. I am still watching your back, my words spoken to empty air. I guess the way we are now, they will never reach you.



I love you.



And I will continue watching your back.
© Copyright 2009 Misery (miseryepidemic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1514807-WatchinYour-Back