*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515961-Students-can-Grade-Professors-on-MySpace
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rachel
Rated: · Other · Other · #1515961
An article I wrote for my college newspaper.
At one time, there were only two ways to find out what your new professor was going to be like. Either sit through the class and make a decision or find a friend who had the teacher before and get their opinion.

Now technology has provided this generation's college student with a new way to choose their teachers.

Most students are familiar with the site MySpace, the online virtual hangout for computer literate people. On this site there are two intriguing words tucked away in a corner of the page, also know as 'professor grading'.

With a click to the link, students can to surf to an unusual place where they decide if their professors made the grade. A place where the reputations of student's pets and pests are shattered or shined.

Almost every teacher from SAU is listed on site, and beside each name is a letter grade. This grade is determined by compiling the ratings that each student gave them and averaging the ratings out. The opposite side of the page is a myriad of student comments and opinions on the particular teacher.

"I hated that class, and he hated me, so whatever," wrote one disgruntled student about an SAU professor.

Also posted is a comment about a teacher who had recently left the school, "Glad to hear he is gone - SAU is better off now."
One SAU professor even has students claiming that he was verbally abusive in class.

The site is littered with negative comments like these and a Yahoo search of the words "professor and rating" listed four comparable sites. Each had many similar negative comments however, Some contained more volatile language then others.

Behind the security of their computer screens people feel untouchable, writing whatever they want with less inhibition. This leads professors discussing how seriously to take the comments.

"If there is a majority of students making the same comment, then you should pay attention," professor Carla Stevens said. "One must consider the context in which these comments are written. It could be just one person having a bad day or who has a vendetta."
This new hi-tech opportunity is also affecting student choices.
Ryan Ferrara, a senior at SAU said sites like these have affected him in the past.

"Once at a community college I picked a class because it said on the review that the teacher was cool, and you didn't even have to show up," he said.

Student Abby Owens said reviews may affect her opinion of a teacher.

"I guess it depends on how many bad ratings there are," she said.

The fact is all college students are curious about what their potential or future teachers will be like.

If the information is readily available there is going to be the temptation to look and there is nothing wrong with that. But before you take feedback any comments seriously consider the motives of the person who wrote it.

"Freedom of speech is one of the most essential parts of an academic community," professor John Madsen said.
He believes that commenting on a teacher may even be beneficial.

"As a human being I make mistakes," Madsen said. "We all make errors and if a situation is brought to my attention and it's legitimate, I can try to make a change. It's important for faculty to respond."
© Copyright 2009 Rachel (rayvin400 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1515961-Students-can-Grade-Professors-on-MySpace