*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516329-Tea-and-Sympathy
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1516329
Jenny and Georgia reminisce - competition entry
Tea and Sympathy


It was a bright morning in Long Island. Jenny and Georgia were sitting in the kitchen of Jenny’s small terrace house, enjoying a nice cup of tea.
“Thanks for dropping over Georgia,” Jenny squeezed her friends hand, “It’s nice to have a break from all the housework.”
A soap opera was playing on the t.v. in the other room.
“I just leave the t.v. on, I don’t really watch it. Mostly for the news and weather updates.”
Georgia smiled, “Soap opera’s and housework, that’s what makes up the days of our lives now.”
Jenny laughed, “I miss the times when we were the young and the restless together, do you remember?”
Georgia sighed, looking around at the piles of folded washing. “I thought we would be the bold and the beautiful forever.”
Jenny’s eyes twinkled mischieviously, “do you remember that weekend in Santa Barbara ?” Georgia put her hand to her mouth and stifled a giggle. “Don’t even talk about it, if Stan knew…”
Jenny smiled archly, “Sometimes ignorance is bliss, that’s my motto. We were different back then.”
Georgia nodded,“Yeah, it was another world . We were so wild, we always said we only have one life to live , may as well make the most of it! Now I have to look after all my children . I have to be their role model. Have to think about the dynasty I guess. Anyway, I have other interests now. I just remodelled the west wing .”
Jenny half – choked on her tea. She hated it when her friend started bragging about her house! They had both lived up to their childhood dreams, and married the doctors they had always secretly desired. But her own husband worked in a small public practice, and spent more time on the golfcourse, while Georgia’s husband was now lead surgeon at the General Hospital .
Georgia grasped her friend on the hand, “Are you okay, did it go down the wrong hole?”
Jenny smiled, “Yes, it must have.”
Georgia returned a sympathetic smile, “More tea?”
© Copyright 2009 LeeTozer (leetozer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516329-Tea-and-Sympathy