*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516449-CoffeeFire-Chapter-1
Rated: E · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1516449
The 1st chapter about a coffee shop worker named Anna, and a fire fighter named Nick.
Chapter 1



“Why are you in such a good mood today?” Morning after morning, Neil Stars would snap a question in Anna’s direction, then, when questioned as to his disheveled black hair and grumpy attitude, he would reply, ‘No sleep last night’.

“It’s a special day.” Wiping down the tables was the first thing on Anna’s list of things to accomplish before the first customer came in. Neil was Anna’s boss at Quick Joe’s Coffeehouse. It was a crisp Tuesday morning in December. The light from the rising sun quietly lit up the little place. The dust particles danced in the sun’s rays that streamed in through the glass windowed front.

“What’s so special about today?” A second grumpy question from the grumpy man.

Anna dropped her jaw. “Looked at a calendar lately? It’s one day closer to Christmas.” She took the rag to the back and turned on the store’s sound system, second on her list, and put on a Christmas radio station; number three. As she walked out to the front, the music floated down, and seemed to wake everything up. The lights hummed as they warmed up to their daily job of supporting the natural light from the sun. Number four was the lights.

Neil prepared the mixes for the coffee they’d soon be mixing. “I still can’t believe how well this place is doing.” His voice held a degree of disbelief. “I thought my father was crazy for wanting to start up a coffee business. And to think, without you, this place would be as dead all the time as it is before we open.”

“Well get ready for the liveliness Neil, because here comes our first customer.” Number five.

Minutes later, Quick Joe’s was picking up business as customers stumbled in, varying in degrees of being awake and having alertness. They ordered their coffee, and then sped out, having had their morning shot of caffeine. As the sun climbed in the sky, the customers came in larger numbers, Tuesday’s usual rush, just the way Anna liked it. Bustling about behind the counter, switching places with Neil, every once and a while, Anna would look up, and take in the scenery she helped create, the atmosphere. This was Anna’s favorite place to be; making coffee for the many people waiting in line. Neil’s voice brought her back from her thoughts.

“Ann! I need more milk! Go check the back fridge!” Another grumpy snap.

"You know Neil, if you let the smile I know is in there out, the milk just might walk out here itself saving me a trip," Anna smirked, trying to lighten his mood. With a raise of an eyebrow, a shake of his head and a heavy sigh from Neil she spun on her heel, and headed to the backroom. Making Neil laugh today would be impossible. Even though Neil had hired Anna as a decorator to help get the place started, Anna told him that rather than having her being paid as a decorator, she’d rather be hired as a barista for as long as the shop was in business. It was days like today Neil pretended she was just another worker who could be fired if she didn’t cooperate. All that seemed to matter to him was making money to support his wife’s luxurious lifestyle. “Milk, milk. Where art thou milk?” Anna thought that maybe if Neil’s father, Joe Stars had never left the creation of the business to Neil, his wife wouldn’t have taken that to mean lots of money to spend on designer things.

Anna scanned the contents of the fridge. “Fruit, Neil’s lunch, whipped cream, my lunch, water bottles…Ah! Milk!” Anna grabbed a gallon of each grade and took it back out front. “Here we are...” Anna said as she slid over the locked half door and placed the milk in the fridge under the counter.

“I hate it when you do that. Someday you’ll drop what you’re carrying and create a big mess. Either that or fall on your face and create a lawsuit.”

Anna smirked, tucking the milk into the small refrigerator, “I know Neil, but I only do it to annoy you. Plus my pants are spotless and it’s quicker to jump the counter than open that silly half door you put in.” Anna smiled as she began with the orders. “It also helps dust the counter.” She added as she wrote them on the cups and set them down as Neil started filling them. It was the eight o’ clock rush. Anna smiled. Busy. It distracted her from other things weighing on her mind. She only wished the rush would last more than an hour.

Her icy blue eyes flipped from screen, to person, to their money and back to the screen. After about ten people, she started to help Neil fill the orders. She and Neil played 'Switch Me Spots' every now and then between machines.

“More espresso”

“Less cream”

“More chips”

“Light hot chocolate.” Neil reminded Anna of the order.

Anna laughed. That's a good one. She still added the regular amount of chocolate mix in the hot chocolate order. Then she handed the drink out to a customer named Sarah with a wink.

“Thanks Anna.” Sarah grasped the cup with both hands and took a sip.

“You’re welcome kiddo.” She answered, knowing Sarah enjoyed the extra kick of chocolate.

After about ten minutes, the maximum occupancy was reached; some tables lacking their chairs, as they were squeezed in around others. Though it was a Tuesday, there were quite a few teens inside. Anna looked around at the age group and figured school must have had a holiday or something today. She chuckled. ‘Ah the good ol’ days’ she thought, a smile spreading across her face. She brushed some powder off her navy apron, covering her work pants, blue shirt. Anna thought about complaining to Neil many times that their uniforms should more accurately reflect their décor. But she knew Neil would badger her matching inklings again.



The rush hit a sluggish moment. Anna called this the ‘calm before the storm of late employees looking for a coffee for them and one for their forgiving bosses.’

“ANN!” Neil called.

“Yes Neil?”

“We need clean ‘for here’ cups.”

Anna nodded. “Jingle bell, jingle bell rock.” She began singing along with the radio. Most of the time, she didn’t mind running into the back to grab more stock. Gave her a little bit of breathing time. “Jingle bells sing and jingle bells ring,” Anna was still bubbly, despite the fact she hadn’t had her cup of coffee this morning. “Snowing and blowing up bushels of fun,” She sang as she made her way into the back. ‘Today he’s just being ridiculous with me running into the back every other minute.’ She came out with clean coffee cups and measuring spoons. “Now the jingle-”

She stopped as Neil stood in her path, she dropped the cups, scattering them over the floor. ‘Shoot.’ Anna thought with sideways smile.

“No singing!” He hissed through gritted teeth.

“Geez Neil, lighten up. It’s just singing.” Anna replied softly as she picked up the broken pieces. “Might snow today, so why not get in the mood?”

He grumbled again and rolled his eyes. Neil turned back to the front of the store and resumed making drinks.

“Alright fine. But on Christmas Day, there’s no stopping me.” Anna went into the back again and got more. “-hop has begun,” She finished softly as she swept up the small fragments.





‘Nothing hits the spot on a cold winter day like today more than a nice, triple espresso.’ Nick thought to himself. Grinning, he crossed his arms over his chest as he looked around the familiar café. Nick Kettner was becoming a regular. The coffee prices were cheaper than Starbucks and he seemed to like the coffee better here, ‘Or is it the atmosphere?’ As he made his way to the counter to order, he stood taller than most of the customers. He was a six foot two firefighter. He wore a simple black shirt with the letters CFD embroidered on the left side of his shirt in white. As he stood in line, just to humor himself, his emerald green eyes read over the menu as he waited for his turn to order. He shoved his hands in his worn jean pockets and waited.

Nick smiled as he heard the spirited coffeehouse worker sing while she worked. He got closer in line. ‘God, is it crowded or what?’ He thought to himself as the line crept closer and closer to the front. Finally he was at the front of the line. He noticed Neil, and wondered where the usual second worker was. Then there she was, Anna. He’d noticed her the last two times he came in, and walking out he hoped to see her the next time. He sympathized with her seemingly frazzled, overworked look in her eyes.

“I'm taking my break.” He heard Neil announce to Anna. She was stacking the fixings cups nicely as Neil made his way back into his office.

“Luckily it’s the end of the 8 o’clock rush.” She muttered then finally looked up at Nick, “What can I get you?” He noticed her eyes were annoyed with Neil taking his break. But he didn’t know why. He was one of the last few customers in line after the rush. He thought she would be relieved.

“Long morning?” He asked her.

“We don’t have that drink. Might want to try the bar a few doors down.”

Nick laughed. “No, I’m not looking for that. I was asking you if you had a long morning.”

Anna blushed and smiled. “Right. I knew that.”

‘Who is this guy? He’s definitely not a regular.’ Anna looked him over as she waited for him to order. ‘CFD, firefighter. Nice. But I’ll bet this hot shot is going to get something super complicated. She thought to herself. ‘Iced large, half caff quad 3 pumps vanilla non fat medium scoop of ice, with whip cream, extra caramel, caramel macchiato.’ Anna thought to herself. She casually checked the clock on the screen in front of her. ‘Come on…only minutes more until I’m off for today. Come on Mr. Hot Stuff. Order your drink, so I can get Mr. Jeffersons his house brew.’

“A triple espresso, please,” Nick ordered plainly, but with a kind flair to his voice.

Anna pulled a cup and touched the marker to the cup, “With or without...” She paused and looked back up at him. “Just a triple espresso? Nothing less or more?” She asked, punching it into the computer.

“Nothing less or more,” he answered.

“Coming right up.” Her tone was slightly surprised. Anna made his coffee and then brought it back to him. “On the house this time.” She smiled sliding it over the counter to him.

“What's the occasion?” he asked, raising his eyebrow quizzically.

“You’re the hundredth customer today.” She lied. ‘It’s really because you’ve got a great smile, and you’re the last customer save for Mr. Jeffersons.’

“Uh-huh.” He nodded in thanks but didn’t quite believe her. Tossing a five in the tip jar, Nick claimed a plush chair in the corner, his gaze wandering to her.

“How are you doing today Mr. Jefferson’s?” Anna’s voice was patient with the old man.

“O-oh I’mma fine Ms. Anna.”

“Would you like your usual Mr. Jeffersons?” She asked, a sweet smile on her face.

“Yes please Ms. Anna.”

“One fifty Mr. Jeffersons.”

Anna thanked him as she took his money and give him his change, which he dropped in the tip jar, just like always. She loved this man like a second father. He was always the sweetest customer she had, regardless of what day it was. If he were a few years younger, he would have reminded her of Morrie, from ‘Tuesdays with Morrie.’ He had a great outlook on life.

“How’s the new hip treating you?” She asked over her shoulder as she filled his ‘for here’ cup. Neil got the idea from the Starbucks line. The idea was to save the environment by having mugs for those customers who decided they’d like to stay and drink their coffee. They’d get their drink in a mug, drink their drink and then return the mug and go on their way.

“Oh, it’s treating.”

“Well you take care now, and enjoy your coffee.” She handed Mr. Jeffersons his drink and he slowly shuffled his way over to a table where he had placed his cane and newspaper when he first walked in.

Anna was about to close out her shift, when a few more customers straggled in. She smiled as they lined up. A business woman was first. She was dressed to the nines in Prada themed attire.

“Look Jonathan, there’s no way this deal can fall through. We need to do everything it takes to get them to close!” She paused and looked to Anna. “Well aren’t you going to ask me what I want?”

“What can I get you ma’am?”

“Iced large, half caff quad 3 pumps vanilla non fat medium scoop of ice, with whip cream, extra caramel, caramel macchiato.” The woman spat out and then resumed her conversation. “No! They can’t ask for an extension! They’ve extended their wait time for two months now. My buyers are living with their-Don’t you interrupt me with your petty ‘but buts’…”

“Two thirty.” Anna said.

The woman threw the money down. When Anna tried to give the woman her change, the woman stared at Anna as if Anna had asked her to kiss her own elbow. Anna dropped the seventy cents of change into the tip jar, made the woman’s drink she expected Nick to order and then Neil came back from his break as the eight o’clock rushed finally ended at nine-oh-five, and the nine o’clock lull began. “Want to finish those dishes?” He asked Anna, looking towards the ones that Anna used to make the business woman’s drink.

“No, unfortunately, shifts up.” She answered. “I have some shopping that needs to get done, so I'll let you take over now.” She smiled. Anna took off her apron and hung it up on their coat rack, mere inches from the stupid half-door, then slid over the counter and walked out of the coffee shop towards her car.



Nick was outside a few seconds after Anna. He threw his now empty cup into a trashcan. He reached in and pulled out his keys, unlocking the door to his car.

Anna looked up as she opened the door to her 2002 green Mustang convertible.

“Sweet ride.” Nick said, eyeing the mustang.

She smiled to Nick as she got in her car. The car was a present from her father on her 18th birthday. Her previous car had been a beat up old thing she got for a cheap price. After fixing it up and taking good care of it, her father decided to reward her hard work in school and the care of the crap car and bought her a car of her dreams.

They both started their cars and prepared to pull away. Nick, being a gentleman, let Anna pull out first. He reversed his car and made his way to the firehouse. Stopping at the coffeehouse was his precursor to tending to the firehouse between calls. Traffic wasn’t too bad today. It was nearing nine twenty, and rush hour traffic had already come and gone in the small city of Canyon, Wyoming. Nick rolled down his window as he drove to the old brick firehouse. It was warmer than the morning, as it neared midmorning. Though there was definitely a feeling of winter in the air. He turned on the radio, to his favorite holiday station. Christmas was four days away, and he was just about done with his shopping. He was ahead of most people in this town who were now just starting their shopping, hoping for last minute deals. He passed a sign that posted the population of the town. ‘Population: 2345’ He smirked. ‘Odd number. I must be that fifth person.’ Nick had just moved here from the big apple. He got tired of the big city fire fighting job and with the few choices he had, he decided to try the smaller atmosphere of this tiny city, just waiting to blossom into something huge. He thought the Rocky Mountains in the distance looked post card perfect with snow dusting their brown ridges and slopes.

This was one of the few mornings Nick had come in before 9. He was glad he did, he got to see Anna. ‘She’s something.’ He thought. ‘Anna and her musical inclinations.’ He knew Anna was the one who picked the songs to play in the coffee-shop to keep things moving. He thought if her boss were to pick songs, they’d probably be 70s disco, and clash with the smooth mellow laid back feeling you get when you walked into the shop. A few songs later, Nick pulled into the station and parked. The same Christmas station blaring from inside. “Have a holly, jolly Christmas,” he sang with a laugh. He was greeted by his fellow firefighters. They sang along to the songs on the radio, horsing around waiting for a call to come in.

“Y'all know the people in Hong Kong can hear this Christmas music...” Nick laughed, sitting down as he looked over to his friends in the locker room.

“Well, let's hope the Buddhists aren't too offended,” His partner Mark said with a laugh.
© Copyright 2009 Samantha (trinity_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1516449-CoffeeFire-Chapter-1