*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1517054-The-Mission
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · War · #1517054
hundred years war story of french soldier on a mission to assasinate an english soldier
Prologue
Raphael awoke to sword right between is eyes. “The mini frenchie is awake.” Said a nasally voice. Raphael swore “Zut!” A tall menacing figure advanced upon him. He had silver armor and a sword set with onyx. Raphael had heard of these things occurring. English knights would do random seizures of land, homes, and people. Things like this happened during the Hundred year’s war. The year was 1429 and the French were fighting back. The English had conquered France in 1360; but, the French never gave up. It was guerilla warfare for the French until this year when Jeanne D’Arc revived the French and started her quest to get Charlemagne crowned. Raphael was the leader of an undercover team to spy on the the Burgundy traitors. Jeanne D’Arc and Charlemagne would face the English and Raphael would kill any leader of Burgundy and any English in the way. “You will not use such language in front of me. I am not to be trifled with.” Raphael spit in his face. “Now you will die! Dog!” He lifted his sword and brought it down with such force that it cracked Raphael’s helm.
John looked at the Frenchmen lying there prone on the ground. “He needs no burial. Burn this pigsty.” He turned and left. Two English soldiers piled brush around the house. As they were spreading the brush, they failed to notice three French soldiers enter through the back of the house. “Where is he?” said one. The youngest one, a mere lad of sixteen, found him. “Voila! Hasten my friends he is near death.” They could not lift him with his armor on so they quickly striped Raphael of his armor. One of them sneezed. “A vos souhaits” said the third. “Something is tickling my nose.” said the youngster. The eldest of the three, a man of thirty, smelled smoke. “Use haste! The English dogs have lit this dwelling on fire!” They carried him through the building smoke and got out into fresh clean air. They brought him to their established headquarters and immediately called a doctor. The doctor treated Raphael and said it was up to him to live now for he had done all he could. The entire team anxiously awaited his awakening. It would be a week before their fears were quelled.
Chapter 1
Raphael awoke with extreme pain in his skull. He groaned startling the guards. One of them ran out shouting,” Huzzah! He has awoken! He has conquered death!” Raphael tried to stand but he couldn’t. The youngest of the three came to him. “All you alright? I was worried when we were carring you away.” “You saved me?” asked Raphael “I was one of three who did.” “What is your name son?” “Didier sir” “Well Didier get me the other two who saved me.” Yessir.” Raphael relaxed knowing he was safe. Suddenly, he realized he wasn’t wearing any protective material. What happened to my armor and helm and my beloved sword? Didier returned with two other men. “These are the men you wanted lord.” The oldest stepped forward. “My name is Jacques.” The middle one broke in saying “ and mine is Xavier” Raphael looked at the three and then looked around the camp. “If we were back in Paris, I would reward you with chests of gold and jewels. But alas we are in this godforsaken place. I have nought to give you.” “My lord it is our duty and speaking for the three of us, we would not accept any gifts for just doing what we have to do.” said the youngest. Raphael looked at the youngest with a new light. The boy was turning into a good soldier and a leader. “Xavier and Jacques you may go.” As Didier turned to leave Raphael stopped him. “I need to talk to you.” “What is it my lord?” answered Didier. “What is your rank?” “I am a simple soldier. No more no less.” replied Didier. “You are now one of my lieutenants; a commander of a smaller team of five.” “Merci! It is a honor to be promoted so young.” said Didier exuberantly. “That is all Didier.” Raphael said.
© Copyright 2009 Lionel Haumann (meloai14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1517054-The-Mission