*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1517373-The-Awakening-Of-The-Dead
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1517373
The dead awaken as blood moon rises, and the festivities begin.
(I had awoken to find myself in a cemetery, all recollection of why I was hear was gone, only the magnetic pull of the graveyard consumed all thought and reason. I never questioned as to why I went into that dreadful place. Or how it is that I ended up in my predicament. No I never did. I had heard rumors, stories of the dark and mysterious powers of the cemetery, I never believed them, then who would? It was only natural to believe it all to be a made-up story to make rebellious children behave.

I checked my watch to see it was well past after midnight. I don't know what possessed me to do this but I entered the graveyard of nightmares. Leaving myself completely exposed to the dark magic that is hidden within that hell-hole.)



The black iron gate creaked slowly, causing chills to rise up my spine.

I stepped through the unwelcoming territory of the dead.

I slipped inside the rusted black gate, into a world that divides the dead from the living. The graveyard looked like another plain or dimension. As I gaze down through the darkness I see a hand shoot up from a gravestone, it was a hand that was crippled with blood.

The skeleton moaned angrily for I have stepped into uninvited territory.

I scream but there is no sound. The dead lift there tired bodies from the wet ground, looking at me with hungry eyes they walked towards me, blood cascading to the ground, squishing under there feet with a wet sickening sound; like wolves that eat there fleshed victim, ripping the blood and flesh from skin.

There were maggots hanging on the skeletons bones like spider webs,skittering out of their nose and eyes.

I ran for the gate but then the guards of stone flew to guard the gate to keep me from escaping my fate.

The skeletons were pressing their infested bodies against me, caging me in like some wild animal that needs to be put down.

I can smell the decay that has set in their bodies.

They started attacking me with nails and teeth, slowly flaying me; peeling my skin away.

The skeletons were eating away at my arms and legs, which were a bloody mess, and the skin of my face was peeled away like an onion, my eyes which the skeletons were trying to gouge out with their extra long fingernails.

My cheek was scratched up and bleeding, tears were welling up in my eyes.

I screamed in pain and they just laughed and grinned; with evil grins, they seemed as if feeding off my pain, as if it was a hot bath.

The skeletons attacked from all sides; opening the circle that had been formed around me, I laid there shaking and crying.

My skin had been torn away, my arms were more than halfway dismembered, hanging only by stubborn bone, my legs were nothing but bloody stumps, and I had only one eye left.

The supposed leader took a hold my my ring finger and slowly bent it backwards, I screamed and, he just grinned never faltering from my panic. The skeleton kept pulling and pulling till I heard the most painful sound, of my finger being snapped off.

The skeletons grabbed a hold of me by the neck collar, lifting me up they pinned me against a tree similar to a cross. The crazed creatures put together gnarled vines, which had spikes on all ends; the thorns kept piercing my already abused skin. To make sure that I could no longer writhe about when they used their torturous methods, the skeletons had taken a huge stump of wood, and broke my remaining upper thighs, so I could not move but stay utterly still as they took remaining shares of my body, that have not yet been taken.

The blood that flowed from my wounded body was beyond repair, was being drunk by these creatures.

The unsatisfied creatures scratched at my skin for more.

I now understood the dark creatures plan, the skeletons were going to drain me dry and then finish me off.

The leader lodged in his bony fingers into my chest where my heart had lain untouched throughout the ritual. The skeleton slowly withdrew my heart from it's barriers, I screamed a bloodcurdling cry, my eyes glazed over as I was close to death. The last of life I saw before I had passed away, was the slow dragging beat of my heart; and the blood pool that surrounded me as I fallen....into deaths arms.



The leader bit into the delicious morsel tearing away at the remaining flesh till all the blood had been drained.

Smashing the heart at a nearby tree, it had fallen with a sickening plop, as it hit the ground.

The skeletons laughed with much contentment.

They gutted the lifeless cadaver for ribs, intestines, and even juicier organs, and danced for the sacrifice under the blood moon.

The skeletons went back into there graves as dawn approached, the horror had passed.... or has it? A small child on a bicycle was riding over the graves when a crippled, skeletal hand shot up and pulled the terrified child under, the skeletons ominous laughter could be heard throughout the cemetery, for there will soon be another sacrifice for tomorrow night.



Writers Warning: Readers beware do not ever cross the graveyards at night or you may be the next unlucky individual that is bewitched into a tasty meal for the forever, insatiable creatures that lurk after sundown.



~Unpleasant Dreams.
© Copyright 2009 CryptmasterX (horrorfest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1517373-The-Awakening-Of-The-Dead