*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519685-The-Old-Man
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mia
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1519685
Growing old and living life.
Today as I was walking down the street I noticed an elderly man approaching me.  I looked at him and I found myself imagining what his life was once like.
Although he is now tired and worn, he must have lived a full life.  His back, once strong and straight, is now bent and weak with age.  His steps, once so certain, are now slow and difficult.  The cane he uses to steady himself, is old and weather beaten, but is greatly needed.
As he draws nearer, I notice that his hands are curled and wrinkled.  After years of hard work, you can see what they have become.  They no longer have the strength to grasp or to do the simple chore of unbuttoning his shirts.  The cracks and wrinkles tell the tales that the man himself is unwilling to tell.  I notice that his face, once smooth and youthful is now quite aged.  The deep lines around his eyes tell me that he was once a man of great knowledge.  They were once bright and clear, but are now dull and without sparkle.
I look into those eyes and I can see for myself that he had once laughed and loved.  He has seen many things change in his world and has seen many generations’ come and go.  His eyes give me a peek into his soul.
As he passes, I cannot help but watch him leave me behind.  He is still very proud and very strong, as far as his mind goes.  He never really looks at me but I know that he senses me there.  He knows that I am only curious and that I mean him no harm.  He also knows that I am picturing his life in my mind’s eye. He would be able to tell me stories that would leave me breathless and wondering.  Stories that would leave me craving more.  This man though old and worn could teach me things about myself that I would never be able to fully understand.
I walk away wondering about this old man.  I think of all the things that he has seen and done.  Things that I could only imagine doing or seeing.  I do not pity him for getting old and gray, but I do respect him.  I may never see him again and I may never know his name, but I will always remember him.
You see I am that old man now.  I have lived life to the fullest.  I have laughed, loved and cried.  I am now wiser than I used to be, but at the same time, I am still learning.  I am just leaning to be old.
So when you see me on the street, take a good look because you’ll only be really looking at yourself.  I am an image of what is to come for you and everyone.  Please be kind and always remember that I will always be here.
© Copyright 2009 Mia (tigermlp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1519685-The-Old-Man