*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521887-Cindrella-and-the-Red-and-Golden-Tunic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by LAA
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1521887
The classic fairy tale with a twist ! What if Cindrella does not leave behind her shoe ?
Cinderella and the Red and Golden Tunic

The clock finished striking the twelfth chime – it was midnight. Cinderella rushed from the palace, away from the Prince, turning a deaf ear to his entreaties. The Prince searched for her near and far but could not find his love. Soon the King announced great rewards for anyone who could find the beautiful lady who had danced with the Prince. But no one came forth with any information. And as days passed, the Prince grew restive and yearned for his dearest. Cinderella sat at her mother’s grave and shed tears for her beloved – unable to muster the courage to tell everyone that she was the beautiful lady; for no one would believe her.

One night, the Prince was woken up from his doze (for he could hardly sleep, haunted as he was by Cinderella’s images) by the mice scuttling on his bed. He tried to shoo them away but they kept returning, and one of them started nibbling away at the dress which he had worn while dancing with Cinderella and had ever since preserved like a divine gift. Seeing the mouse biting it enraged the Prince and he flew at it with the silver cup that lay by his bedside. But the mouse deftly scampered away. And the other three joined it and off they scurried carrying the “Red and Golden” tunic. The Prince, unthinking, chased them over the Palace grounds, beyond the palatial gates and they led the Prince to a graveyard. The mice laid the tunic on a tree that shaded the grave. The Prince came over to get it and saw a lady clad in rags sitting and crying. “What aches you lady? Why are you shedding these tears?” Hearing these kind words, Cinderella looked up and saw to her great amazement her Prince standing there, right in front of her.

As she stood there looking at him in astonishment, her sobs long forgotten, a strong wind blew and a flash of lightning illuminated the night sky and the tunic flew and fell on Cinderella. “Prince, the lady standing yonder is the fair face that you seek”, said a sweet voice from the tree. The Prince looked at the tree and saw to his immense surprise a beautiful Fairy. She waved the wand at Cinderella and Cinderella was adorned with all the riches.

“Behold, Prince, she is Cinderella, and I am her Godmother and it was I who changed her into a Princess for you to dance with…” The Godmother then narrated the entire story to the Prince and told Cinderella how she was moved by her tears and how she had sent the mice to bring the Prince to her.

The Prince and Cinderella knew no bounds of happiness. He had finally been able to find his beloved. He thanked the Godmother, and took Cinderella in his arms. Nature, rejoiced at their union, blessed them with showers. The Prince took her to the Palace and they lived happily ever after as man and wife.

-Lakshmi Ananthasubramanian.
© Copyright 2009 LAA (lakshmia521 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1521887-Cindrella-and-the-Red-and-Golden-Tunic