*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522348-Research-on-Cupid
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1522348
Research on "Cupid".
Every culture has a character in their myths. Each one has a slightly different origin, although each of them has the same persona and similar characteristics. More recognize Cupid, than any of the other names. I decided that If I was going to take a character that is recognized by so many, I would have to see what this character had in common throughout all of the different Myths and legends.

It was also more fun to make Cupid into something that most people already thought of him as a faery. I decided to take this one-step further making the elfin and faery folk the same as they were in a lot of the older tales. Due to the actual persona of cupid being a contrary creature it was not hard to see what he would react like as he “grew up”.

Of course I found that he has a basis in both Greek and Roman and may other myths. In Roman Mythos he was known as Cupid or Cupido which meant desire or Amor which means love. Early Roman poet Ovid often portrayed Cupid as a willful and capricious child. His counterpart in Greek mythology was Eros. He was said to have the same type of powers over the other “gods” that he had over humans. The Slavic and Baltic god Yarilo also known as Erilo. There was also Angus Mac Og -Irish)- Young son. Harpist of the Tuatha de Danann. God of youth, love, beauty. And of course Freyr a twin of Freya, He was the horned god of fertility, He was also knon as the King of the Alfs (elves). Both the Swedish and English are said to be his decedents.

Many different legends and Myths all similar in the description of the person and what he did or what his powers were. I thought it would be interesting to bring these things together and create a new set of tales for this Mythological character. Set him in our world of technology and his own home world so that we can see how he reacts who he really is.

With these different legends, I decided to create a character that is someone we could identify with more closely and still see as the legend he is.
© Copyright 2009 rjsimonson (rjsimonson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522348-Research-on-Cupid