*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522967-Space-Case
by Emmers
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1522967
A teenager gets thrown into a space adventure with a weird car and her twin siblings.
      Casey Mullen sat down in a chair at the kitchen table with her parents. They looked mad, they had a reason to look mad. Their new silver Caravan was sitting in the garage destroyed and the garage door didn't look much better.       
      Casey was fifteen so naturally she was the prime suspect.
      "How could you take the car when you don't even have a permit yet?!" Her dad asked beat red.
        Moving her red, curly hair away from her freckled face, Casey sighed, "It was irresponsible and stupid. I got bored and went for a joy ride. I'm extremely sorry. I give myself groundation for a month."
      Her parents looked completely shocked, kids don't give out their own punishment. It's just plain weird.
      "Two months and you don't get your license 'til you're seventeen." Her mom finalized.
      "Not fair!"
      "Yes fair! Now go to your room!" Her mom ordered.
        Getting up from the table, Casey left the kitchen. Slamming the door to her own room she turned on the radio and grabbed her diary.
        This is what she wrote:

Dear Diary,
    I just got grouned, forever! That wouldn't be nearly as bad if I actually did what they think I did. But I definitly did not! The problem is there is no way they'd believe what really happened. I barely believed it and I lived it! what really happened? The car became a spaceship!!
    It was this morning around ten. My parents had left for Adult Softball practice with their friends. They left me in charge of my twin siblings Kayla and David, they're about eleven.
    Sitting on the couch watching TV music videos I let my siblings go outside for a while. It took about ten minutes before they bothered me.
    They ran into the living room all smiles and out of breath shouting my name.
    "What?" I whined, because really who wants to be bugged by siblings?
    "We were in the van!" David said.
    "And it has this weird button!" Kayla said.
    "Come see! Come see!"
    Dragging me off the couch they pushed me into the drivers seat and climbed into the back, crowding and pointing. There was a green button barely visible on the dash board.
    "I'm sure it's unimportant." I said opening the door again. They both pulled me back so hard I almost ended up in that space inbetween the front seats.
    "Push it!" They squealed curiously.
    Sighing, I lazily pushed the button just to get them off my back. Nothing happened....at first, but then the car did a huge back blast slamming itself through the garage door. (thus the reason it's broken.) We all flew forward as the car suddenly stopped. Kayla and David ended up in the front seat together and I slammed my chest hard against the steering wheel.
    "Whoa." They said wide-eyed. I just stared at the huge hole in the garage door un-able to breath. When that past I screamed, loud and sharp. I knew even then I was in monster trouble.
    Two seconds of screaming past and the demon car gave me something else to worry about. It tipped onto its trunk so we were pointing toward the sky. Now we were all screaming and to scared to buckle up. This definitely needed car safety!!
    Taking off into the sky I couldn't believe my eyes. The car was flying! It rocketed straight through the atmosphere and the next thing we knew we were in space, and still screaming!
    The van stopped and started to just float around. No one moved for a couple minutes and the only sound was our hearts beating against our ribs. Finally moving I looked all around the car and noticed all these new buttons had appeared. It now looked like a real spaceship...on the inside, it still looked like a van on the outside though.
  "Kayla, David....Why did you make me push that button?" I asked still staring out the back.
  "Casey can you get us home?" David asked in return. I whirled around with wide, panicky eyes, that probably looked really weird, and stared at them.      They weren't scared at all, they didn't get what was so bad. 
    "Of course I can't get us home! We're in space! How on earth can we even breath anyway?!" I asked but really panicked. Stupidly I leaned back on the horn exasperated. I felt it push down then quickly got off but there was no noise. Because we were in space! It had nothing for the sound waves to bounce off of. So the sound waves would move forward forever.
      We sat there quietly wondering if we would do the same.
    "What do we do?" I whispered.
    "Drive!" The twins said. I stared at them.
    "Huh?" Oh wow, sweet response.
    "Drive us home. Or put it in hyper drive or that thing where it drives itself." Kayla said.
    "You mean auto pilot?" I asked doubtful.
    "Where to?" Came a computer voice. We jumped. It was getting more and more insane! Where the heck did this car come from?? It's like its one of Herbie's high tech friends! This on a normal bases would be cool, not now though!
    "Um....Earth?" I squeaked.
    "Destination Earth. Arrival time...one hour." The car said.
    I sat back taking a deep breath.
    No sooner did I do that we heard a clang on the roof. We all looked up, then at each other.
    "Casey....I think I know what that is." David said hesitantly.
      I pointed a finger at him, "Don't you dare say it!"
    He didn't have to, another clang was heard then another and another, we all knew what it was. A meteor shower was taking place.
    It started to rain down rocks even harder.
      "Go into hyper drive stupid computer!" I yelled.
      The rocks were making huge dents all over the car and cracks into the windows. Kayla and David hit the floor fast and hid under the back seats, scared.
      After a bombardment of metoers the space car finally went into hyper drive. I was thrown into the back seat and the twins slid into the trunk lid, shocked.
      The hyper drive lasted five minutes then we stopped.
      "Space worm headed our way." The car said. I scrambled over the seats back into the front ready to take control. Buckling up and fixing the seat I yelled, "well go you stupid car! Earth! Home!"
      The computer seemed to laugh at me, "Out of hyper drive fuel and the worm will eat you all." If this thing did know herbie it was probably enemies with him.
    The twins screamed. I looked in the back mirror and saw the giant purple worm coming our way. I slammed on the gas and we took off. The weird, now space, GPA system showed me where to go. Earth's atmosphere was about two miles away. I had no idea if i could make it.
    "GO! GO! GO!!" My siblings screamed at me moving to the front away from the beast.
    "I'm trying!" I said through grit teeth.
    The worm was gaining on us. It was the width of the van and way longer than it. Slowly the worm came to the side of us. I pressed the gas harder. the worm slammed into us knocking us upside down. I was buckled in and the twins were buckled in so we pressed on.
      "Hold on." I warned.
      Angrily I slammed us into the worm and we flipped back over. The twins sat there shocked.
    One mile to go. We were getting closer. We were screaming. I was sweaty and scared. This whole thing would have made a great movie, like Star Wars...barely.
      The worm, now angry, slammed its tail into us unintentionally rocketing us into the atmosphere!
    Flaming a little as we tumbled down I pressed hard on the break and closed my eyes. I though we were going to die.
    "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!" My siblings screamed along with me.
      Feeling a hard jolt I opened my eyes and saw we were in the driveway! Shouting for joy we all got out and hugged each other.
    "We're Home! WOOHOO!!" My brother shouted. Kayla did a cart wheel. Standing there releived all i could do was laugh.
    We were home, we were alive.
    Ten minutes later I had the trashed van in the garage and my parents were home. The rest as you know is history and groundation. I'd like to know what they would have thought of the real story.
    Peace out.
   
  Casey closed her diary as her siblings ran in calling her for dinner. She had told them to keep quiet about what happened. She didn't want all three of them getting thrown into the looney bin or getting grounded for making it up. But to help her out for taking the blame the twins helped her with her chores during the whole punishment, feeling bad for getting her in the mess in the first place. But no matter what story they told people, none of them would ever look at a car the same way.
© Copyright 2009 Emmers (kismet_krazy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1522967-Space-Case