*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524234-What-the-World-Needs-Now
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1524234
A hero from literature saves the day. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must be about a famous character that comes to life.

What the World Needs Now

He walked down the busy sidewalk with a muscular grace that drew blatant stares from pedestrians; this in a city where keeping to oneself was the norm amongst the multitudes that shoved and jostled their way from point to point.

His suit somehow fit with the hair hanging down his neck. He did not know how he got here and really didn’t give it much thought. He was here and that was that. He would survive. He always survived. It was what he was best at.

He carefully surveyed his surroundings. Buildings of unimaginable height reached up to the clouds. Machines of unknown mechanisms choked the main thoroughfare forcing the villagers off to the crowded sides.

This was not a healthy place. He could feel it; smell it. There was a sickness of soul that ran through everyone. There was fear aplenty. There were also predators; those that thrived on the sickness and fear.

He now knew why he was here. Someone had summoned him forth to change the tide. He had been brought here to hunt. To put fear into those that caused it in others. Mentally, he shifted into his most dangerous mode. It was time for the predators to become the prey; his prey.

Walking more slowly now, he put his nose to the wind and sniffed. His grey eyes missed nothing. His sharp hearing was the first to notice. A scream was coming from the heavily wooded area about two blocks back.

He turned and ran with an agile-laced speed that would have shamed any world class athlete.

In the park, he found her surrounded by no fewer than ten men. It was quick and blatantly unfair.

The woman looked up into his eyes and asked, “Who are you?”

He simply said, “Tarzan.”

Word count 297
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524234-What-the-World-Needs-Now