*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524342-Book-1-Visions-from-the-Past-Chapter-1
Rated: GC · Fiction · Fantasy · #1524342
The first novel in a fantasy series about the true colours of the human heart...
Book One:
Visions from the Past

Prologue:

  A soft wind whistled down the valley, and she walked as if she were a spirit; floating over the lush green grass. There, sitting beside a still pond, she saw a little girl no older than herself. Tears leaked down her cheeks, and her face was turned down to the silent, fathomless water that bore no sign of a ripple. No distortions from her crying appeared upon the water; the impossible tears seemed to simply vanish and merge into the pond.
  Approaching, she tried to glimpse the features of the girl turned away from her. She only saw the hair and her back; bent with sorrow. And looking into the water for a reflection, there was nothing but a foggy mist.
  Emotions surged through her body as she tried to reach out and touch the lost child. But the child was gone to a place of grief no child should ever have to go.
  She tried to call to the girl, but her voice went unheard. It was only when she bent down over the child and stared at her own reflection that she knew the truth.
  A cry tore itself from her mouth and a shudder rippled through her body. She tried to turn away and to rip her eyes from the sight, but found she was held there by some invisible force; binding her stronger than iron chains. Her teeth gritted together but she had no teeth. She felt nothing but understood the incredible pain.
  She was nothing but she was everything; she was impossible and real.
  Looking up at her were the innocent eyes of a child and the vicious eyes of a tyrant, angelic features and devilish horns, and enclosing it all was a foggy mist. That mist was what her mind was; the child was her body.
  Slowly the force lifted and she turned to run; her feet gliding back down the valley path. She turned away from the truth and the lost child who needed her; the girl who was her. Now she was nothing but a spirit. She could not bear the truth and so could not return to her body, making it impossible for her to see the true reflection of her mind and thought. She did not know what was right and wrong; there was no judge. There were only fragments of a whole; fragments that could not unite.
  And that was her identity, but the mind, body and spirit, which were the essence of her being, could no longer co-exist. She was broken, and she did not know where she was. The great Balance was disturbed and she was just a sufferer; for now life could not exist harmoniously. There was only one way to save her, but she did not know how. No one knew how, but the answer must be found so that her world could be saved too.
  Only with the right perception would all be restored; but what path to choose out of the chaos that existed in the fabric of time and space itself? What key would open the locked door separating the child from her home?
  All she had to do was to work out who she was. All she had to do was write history correctly so that the lost child would grow to become a found adult. The only difficulty was how.

1. Midsummer Festivities:

  Her sharp, panting breath filled the night air as she ran. Behind her, the shadows of the evening followed as if they were men in black cloaks; silent and mysterious but filled with a deadly intent.
  She ran, although from what she did not know. She ran with all the speed she could; the past was chasing her, new truths were chasing her, but she comprehended none of this. There was a mistake, but she was in danger. Her other dreams over the past few nights came flashing in fragments through her mind, and the strange feeling that she had with them returned once again; a feeling in the pit of her stomach, in the chambers of her heart. It was a feeling that something was wrong.
  As if materialising out of the darkness, a hand abruptly reached out to clamp over her mouth so she could not shriek as she was dragged down into the bushes lining the valley. Cain! In her mind, she frantically called the name of the only person who could save her; the only person who knew her current face. He knew as much as she did about herself; her identity was just a tangled maze of secrets that were only now beginning to surface...

* * *

  A bright and cheerful Midsummer Day’s sun dawned over the bustling city of Linuina; already the citizens had risen before dawn in preparation for this day of festivities. Inside the great fort, the streets were alive with colour; streamers hung from houses and around street lamps in mood of the occasion. In the markets, merchants and traders from the western Soonada Kingdom began setting up their stalls and the air was fresh with the scents of bread, herbs, spices and fruits. This all mingled with the sweaty odour of the hardworking, the perfumes of the rich, and the smells of animals that snorted and nickered where they were tethered near their masters.
  All through the streets, men and women bustled over the cobbled walkways as they went about their tasks to aid in the preparations for the great festival of Talgine. Talgine was the middle month of summer, and it meant The Triangle in the ancient language. For this festival was in honour of the Triple Gods; the Gods of Earth, Sea and Sky, who represented the three natural elements of Earth, Water and Air, and in doing so, formed the Triangle of Balance.
  This day was a day to remember, for the festival was promised to be greater than any other after the invading Henalas had come to the world of Meridisia and conquered the northern half of the continent of Meleka. In other years, the city had been too wounded after attack to celebrate, not to mention food scarcer and disease common, whilst the trading routes with other cities had been cut off. Now, the great city of Linuina, the capital of Meleka's greatest Empire of Renala, was abundant with citizens from all over the country, including many from Soonada who brought with them the western land’s unique food, music and fabrics. For far off Soonada was a land untouched by war; it was a land that was a sanctuary for people and culture in these dark times.
  This day would be a breathtaking day of celebrations, for the King himself was hosting the ceremony. He was risking coming out in the open where enemy spies might still lurk, to come and bless his people. For not only was this to be a special festival, on this Midsummer Day, which was the middle day of the middle month of summer, it was the third year gone by without a Henalas siege on the city. Perhaps this was a sign that the Great Wars with the Henalas were finally coming to an end, and as the New Year began, life would truly start afresh and return to being how it once was when the world was young.
  On this splendid day, the golden sun shone up the great Linuinan Valley, and tinted the red brick of the great barbican. The flags and pennants on the watchtowers fluttered in the wind, and their colours stood out brightly against the clear blue sky. All around the city, the fertile green of the plains seemed to come as a sign that this New Year would bring bounty and full crops, and happiness for all. Any outsider who walked into the city would never have known the poverty that had ruined it so, when the constant Henalas attacks nearly destroyed it, or the peoples’ deep, profound fear of the enemy that lurked like the shadows in a dim alleyway.
  Even over in the poor village that usually huddled like a wounded animal against the outskirts of the fort, life even seemed brighter there. The shadows where beggars lurked were now filled with musicians and bards, and young girls skipped happily through the streets. In such a street is where this tale begins.

  She made her way out from the house she shared with her grandparents, and peered down the street in search of her friend. How much of a surprise he would get! For today, she had shed her guise of a male storyteller and now dressed as a woman; she did not wish to disguise herself when honouring the Triple Gods who had spared her life time and time again.
  Perhaps she felt more of a love towards the Gods than many poor people of Linuina, for they had their problems to think about more than heavenly beings, but to her, the Gods were her inspiration and where she found her hopes and her dreams.
  That was what she did as a living; spreading hope to the poor, crippled, lowly and loveless. She gave them hope through her tales, although sometimes she did not believe in the tales she spoke of, or of hope that day. For it was true that the Henalas were crushing even the strongest hearts. She was only human after all.
  Now, as she walked down the streets, she no longer had to creep around like a criminal. She walked with a carefree stride and her head high; proud to be the girl that she was. She had endured much in her life, although she was young, but today for the first time in what felt like years, she laughed again.
  She reached the smithy on the corner, and raised her hand to knock on the wooden door. As she waited, she bit her lip nervously; uncertain of what he would think. There she was, appearing to him in a completely different form.
  A breeze that wafted down the alley of the poor village stirred her beautiful bronze ringlets and the sun tinted them with gold flecks, so that when at last someone peered through a little hole in the door to see who she was, they beheld a regal looking woman. Before long, a bolt slid out of place to admit her entry, and the door opened to reveal a burly blacksmith on the threshold.
  For a moment he was speechless, as he just stared over at her, and she cleared her throat; breaking the uncomfortable silence sifting between them.
  “Sorry, lost me breath there; thought I saw the Queen Kristina herself, may the Gods let her rest in peace.”
  She smiled as the huge but seemingly gentle man in front of her recovered himself. “Well, good morning young missus, and happy Midsummer’s Day too; but tell me, who may ye be? I do say yer a pretty sight; can’t say I’ve seen ye round ere afore.”
  She lowered her head shyly, “Happy Midsummer’s Day to you too. I... I am a friend of Cain’s, although he may not know me in my present state. Please, he has not already gone to the markets has he? He wanted to meet up here...”
  “Father, let me,” a young man who had appeared behind the blacksmith interrupted, and his father nodded gruffly and walked away. “So tell me, ye said ye were a friend of mine I was meeting ere? Well I can’t say I know ye, and the only friend I was meeting ’ere was Adrian from up the road. The storyteller, ye know him?”
  She nodded, “Listen Cain, I... I’m really sorry about this, I hope it doesn’t come as too much of a shock. But that storyteller Adrian doesn’t exist; he isn’t coming here to meet you. I... I invented him to disguise myself, because my job of telling stories at taverns was always quite dangerous really.”
  Cain did not respond; he just stood there, staring at her astounded. She stumbled over her words as she hurried to explain herself, not wanting to break their fragile relationship.
  “Please Cain; I did it for safety really, if everyone knew I was a woman then people would think less of me and might steal the money I earned because they would think me weak and helpless. And that’s why I disguised myself... and also why I’ve had few friends. Then those friends that I’ve had like you... well I’ve never really allowed myself to get too close to anyone so that they wouldn’t discover my secret. But today... well today I just wanted to show you who I really was, and to be my true self.”
  Throughout her whole speech, the man she had addressed as Cain had stood perfectly still. He gazed at her as if she were a stranger; and to him she was, for he did not know her as a young woman, but as a mysterious male storyteller who always kept to himself.
  She lowered her gaze to the ground in embarrassment, for he continued to scrutinise her. Although not unkindly, it sent a chill through her bones; like he was trying to read her mind.
  Cain frowned and finally opened his mouth, “So blimey, ye’re telling me yer Adrian, yer gorgeous lass? Well then wat can I say, I mean I gotta believe ye, dunt I? But tell me, how did ye... yer disguised yeself bloody well, I neva would’ve guessed. And now ere ye are looking so beautiful in that dress, when all I’ve eva seen ye wear is that dirty old travelling cloak with the hood down so low ye can’t see ye features.”
  She blushed as he continued to look her over and observe her in the dress her grandmother had made especially for this occasion. That morning when she’d readied herself and looked in her old mirror, she’d been amazed at her appearance, so she understood how Cain must be feeling looking at her in real life. Normally, she would use her mirror to make sure her disguise was impeccable, but today had been different. Although the glass was foggy with age, dirt and dust, and a crack ran down the centre, it had given her a slight impression of how she looked. But Cain was seeing her here... now... not through dim glass that distorted her true image...
  The gown was made of a deep red fabric, that although was coarse and poor, had been designed into an elegant gown. It was simple, but flaunted her slim body and feminine curves; gathering sharply at her waist and then flowing out on either side of her hips, to make her body look like the centre of a beautiful scarlet flower.
  The neck was cut respectably, and the sleeves were short and puffy on her arms; her grandmother, it seemed, was a skilled seamstress for the old woman she was, and she felt so wonderful to be wearing this gown however humble it was compared to courtly finery.
  “Yer beautiful ye are, but...” Cain’s voice trailed away, and immediately she could feel her cheeks burning with a more profound embarrassment and a touch of shame too. For this young man had always been so honest, and as close to a friend as she had ever had here in Linuina; although of course she never permitted herself to get too close to anyone. It seemed like she had betrayed him by disguising herself so.
  “Cain,” she mumbled. “I am sorry... you know how things are these days, and I made a decision when I came here to Linuina I would disguise myself.”
  Cain looked away as if he was embarrassed too. She bit her lip to stop it trembling, and attempted to speak to him again. Would he now just see her as a pretty girl, instead of a friend and storyteller?
  “Please Cain... tell me we are still friends. Life has been hard enough, without us turning away from each other. There are greater problems…”
  She halted, awaiting his reaction, and then Cain looked up and met her gaze. He smiled, although a touch of another, deeper emotion that was all at once troubled, saddened, and bewildered, remained written upon his brows.
  “Well Adrian, what is yer name then? I suppose ye were disguising that too.”
  She nodded, “I had to Cain. Although I am truly sorry; you have been a wonderful part of my life in any case; our friendship wasn’t false even if my identity was. But… you can still call me Adrian, although perhaps if you wanted something more feminine for today while I’m dressed as I am, then Adrianna.” Why did she have to continue lying? Adrianna was not her real name, and although she trusted Cain, some inner instinct told her to hold her tongue.
  He could obviously tell that her name was still a secret, but he smiled nevertheless in an attempt to banish the awkwardness that had sprung up between them.
  “Cain…” Adrianna began. “I hope that I did the right thing, I mean, showing you who I really am and everything…”
  He sighed, “Yes, ye did the right thing. I won’t hold you at blame any longer; I’ve always thought ye to be a smart young man telling stories, but even though ye’re a woman, ye’re still a damn sight intelligent.”
  Now a true smile lit up Adrianna’s face; the corners of her delicate mouth turning upwards. “I thank you for that, Cain.” She knew how much women were suppressed in the poor town; they were expected to cook, clean, and marry when they were told. It was not so amongst the wealthier, who were undoubtedly educated, but due to poverty, poorer women had not this privilege. So to hear this compliment, her heart swelled with pride. Of course it was her education she had had long ago in another life with her father, but now she had nothing, and it was all the more frustrating, since she knew what it was like to have privileges.
  “Well Cain, let’s not delay the festivities any longer,” Adrianna murmured. “Shall we go and celebrate, and remember the Gods who guide us in this world?
  Cain bowed mockingly, and the uneasiness he had felt before seemed to have vanished into the warm summer air. This was the day that troubles were forgotten; the day when there was no need to think of war and the Henalas, although they were as much a reality as ever before. This was the festival of Talgine.
  “Yes Adrianna, let us celebrate,” Cain replied. He took her arm in his, and for an instant she nearly recoiled with shock. She was so unused to this kind of ladylike treatment; Cain’s friends were mostly a rowdy lot, drinking and following girls, and although Cain was less so than the majority, she’d never imagined him capable of being so gentile and friendly.
  They left the smithy and walked through the streets, winding their way to the central square inside the fort where the markets were and most of the activity was happening. Adrianna was grateful for Cain’s company; the markets were bustling with many people and it was good to have a man by her side. She had always disliked having to creep amidst the shadows in her disguise, constantly harbouring the fear that someone would realise she was not who she seemed to be, and would pounce at the opportunity of a young girl on her own.
  “I am truly wondering, Adrianna, how ye managed to conceal yer identity for so long; such a pretty young lass as ye surely can’t have escaped notice.”
  “Cain, please,” Adrianna dipped her eyelashes in meekness, not wishing to talk about that for the moment.
  He shrugged and dropped the subject, and soon Adrianna returned to her relaxed mood. And what did she have to fear? She trusted Cain, although she’d never been very close to him so as to keep her secret, and in these times even friends could be people who were not what they seemed. Perhaps this was why Cain himself had been uneasy with her before, as she had revealed such a shocking secret. But he was not showing any uncertainty now, and Adrianna should forget life and troubles, and sink into the merriment of the festivities.
  He was a simple lad, with his father a blacksmith, and she enjoyed his simple conversation; once she asked for Cain to stop pressing for her secrets, he just stopped. Together, they walked amidst the stalls of the market, and Adrianna took in the familiar sights and smells. Yet today her heart was so much lighter and the market so much better than usual.
  The air was alive with excitement and the music of young minstrels who played in hope of some coins tossed at their feet. Children squealed in delight as they watched clowns and magicians do tricks in the streets, while their mothers made no effort to calm them down. The aromas of freshly baked bread and spices wafted through the stalls, along with the sugary scents of sweets and candied fruit. Stall keepers called out for people to buy their products; perfumes and fragrances, wines and liquors, and bouquets of freshly picked flowers, their voices getting louder and louder as they competed with those around them. There were even the elaborately dyed silks from far Soonada that merchants had brought along the trading routes, pearls from the port cities, and a vast array of exotic fruits and nuts.
  Adrianna carried a small purse with her, with some of the money she had earned at an inn the previous night, and she bought herself quite a few delicacies to eat. Throughout the day, she and Cain wandered around the city and listened to the music of minstrels and watched the antics of clowns, and savoured the rich, festive air. It didn’t seem as if a whole day had passed when the light dimmed as the sun began to fade in the afternoon sky.
  Now, the air was buzzing with a more intense excitement than that of the carefree mood and joyous frivoling throughout the day. For now it was time when the true rituals of Talgine would take place, and the King himself was coming out from the Linuinan palace to participate. This had not happened in years; it had been too dangerous with Henalas spies, and although he would’ve had guards, there would always have been a moment that an assassin could seize to do away with Renala’s ruler. If Renala fell, then no doubt the smaller kingdoms of Meleka would fall too; Renala was the only place able to hold out against the enemy, and the other countries simply allied under its lead.
  Adrianna and Cain struggled to find their way amidst the crowd of bodies all trying to reach the gates of the ancient barbican where they would watch the procession of priests and nobles coming to bless the city.
  Children darted between the legs of the people in the crowd; clothed in bright colours and garments made especially for the occasion. Many wore beautiful decorated masks; some with feathers representing the Sky God; many with leaves for the God of Earth; and another few with shells and blue streamers representing the Sea God.
  Adrianna sighed at the beauty. The sun was sinking in the sky, and they had reached the gates of the barbican. The crowds stretched well into the city, but they could not go in there; it would be too crowded and besides, there was danger of being trampled. Those who owned properties along the main street would have the best view of the procession; they would be able to sit comfortably on their balconies and watch the parade below. But Adrianna was content; all she wished was to get a glimpse of the monarchs who had so wondrously led Renala throughout the previous hard years. Their King was Melchior; an intelligent steward who loved his country, and who had held the Henalas at bay during the previous sieges of Linuina. And their Prince was Fredrik; a brave man who was in the flower of youth, courageous and knightly like someone from a storybook. His locks of blonde hair and eyes of deepest blue...
  Adrianna sighed, for he was so handsome and lucky in this world. His life must be easy, she thought, although there would be much pressure on his shoulders. But at least he would always live in safety at the royal palace; guarded well and able to sleep without worrying that someone would break in. He could be in danger from Henalas spies and traitors seeking to dispose of Renala’s heir, but still, that was inevitable to escape in this world, and it was a danger more far off than the threatening possibilities of her life and many of the poor village.
  Now the light dropped further as the sun disappeared beneath the horizon, and the purples and reds began to fade; leaving twilight and an inky-blue sky. The stars hadn’t peeped out yet, and the heavens were bereft of the jewelled gems of fiery light that normally lit them up. But the night was not dark; flaming torches were held by Royal Guard along the pathway of where the procession would pass through. It gave light to the dim surroundings, and it also served to hold back the citizens from pressing too close to the parade.
  Adrianna unconsciously drew closer to Cain, as a chill wind gave her flesh goose bumps, and stirred her hair. He took her hand and clasped it, in anticipation of the coming parade. They could already hear it in the distance; trumpets sounding in the streets of the city, on its way down to the poor areas. From there, they would follow the procession down the valley, where the rituals and blessings for the coming year would take place.
  Then the sound of horses’ hooves got louder, and Adrianna strained her neck to get a peek of what was happening. Some Royal Guards, clothed in their navy blue finery that represented Renala, appeared on horseback. Their horses had been groomed and washed until their coats were glossy and smooth; white and chestnut and black. Bells hung from the saddles and tinkled, and trumpets sounded, announcing the Royal party.
  They appeared; King Melchior and Prince Fredrik seated on snowy stallions; the manes of their mounts streaming gracefully out in the wind, and their heads raised proudly to the sky. Immediately, the many villagers gathered at the barbican’s gates flung garlands of flowers to them, and shouts sounded throughout the air. As they passed Adrianna, she flung the flowers that she had bought at the market, and she saw Prince Fredrik turn her way.
  For a brief moment, their eyes met, and she saw their mystical blue depths stare into her own crystalline blue eyes. It seemed that somewhere in her mind, a spark leapt up, but a spark of what she could not recall. She felt a faint stirring in her heart, and her vision clouded a bit before her. Yet she could still see those chips of blue as clear as daylight; seeming to sink deep into her soul.
  Then the strange intense gaze was gone, as Prince Fredrik moved further on. Perhaps Adrianna had simply imagined their moment of eye contact, but nevertheless, she felt a strange thrill, and her heart was thudding loudly in her chest.
  She felt Cain tug her hand, and was startled from her reverie. He pulled her after him, and then she picked up her own feet again, and ran with him after their rulers. Behind them came many other Renalan nobles who had travelled to Linuina for the celebrations, along with scientists and robed religious men to conduct the rites of the festival. Then came the entertainers, musicians, and Royal Guard; all in costumes of elaborate decoration and exaggeration, and finally the citizens of Linuina who flooded after the procession like a giant wave surging forth; everyone scrambling to get to the valley first and be all the closer to the ceremonies.
  Down the valley the wave flowed, and Adrianna kept a strong hold on Cain’s hand so she did not lose him in the sea of bodies. They made their way right up to the edge of the ring; where Royal Guard stood barring the way with their torches. Inside, the grass had been cleared so only dirt remained, and this was because a bonfire would soon be lit.
  In the centre of the ring was a large pile of junk; the Linuinans had spent the week clearing their homes and bringing broken items or those no longer needed out to this pile. It would then be burned; signifying the end of the old year, and then the ashes would be cast into the River of Rena that ran by the city.
  To all Renalans, this traditional and sacred rite bore great meaning and significance. The ashes of the old would flow with the river to the sea, where life would start anew, and then those same waters would flow back to them during the coming year. It symbolised a grand circle of life, where everything is reborn; there is always a life after death. Perhaps the being may no longer walk on the earth, but they walk in the realms of Heaven in the Sky; a place of Gods.
  It is said that there were three races, those of the Earth, the Sea, and Sky, and that every being had a triple side in every race. This meant that when a being died, they were joined by their fellows of the two other races, and would ascend to divinity if they had lived by the commandments of the Trident Laws; the Three Rules of the Trident, which told Meridisians how to live their life; to be Just, have Faith, and show Unconditional Love for all.
  When a being Ascended, it was there that the triple forms of nature would unify, and become free to walk the lands of the Gods, as a high being itself. If you had not lived by the laws of the Gods, then when you died you would Descend to the fiery Underworld where you would atone for your crimes and be cleansed by the burning flames, before uniting with your fellows of the other races in Ascension.
  There were myths of the Sea people; a race that had fallen into legend. But there was nothing in history of a Sky people; people said that those of the Sky were the Gods themselves, and so when you ascended, you found your heavenly side and thus became one with the race of the Gods in the Sky, or the Starry Kingdoms above.
  Now, Adrianna gazed at the pile of junk; just a pile, meaningless in any other place. Yet here it symbolised rebirth, and perhaps the New Year would be joyous and nothing like the old. Perhaps when this junk turned into a blazing bonfire, the Gods would see their signal, and send forth luck and love. Perhaps they would aid them to victory; to recover their land taken from them by the cruel, merciless Henalas.
  Turning, Adrianna looked up to either side of the valley, and saw the people covering the grass like insects. She turned once more to where men were preparing the ritual of burning, and then King Melchior himself rose and spread his arms to the gathering. Amazingly, his voice sounded as if the Gods themselves had amplified it, so his words carried to the far reaches of the gathering.
  “My fellow citizens of Linuina, I call you here, on this Midsummer Night, to celebrate the Triple Gods. In the name of Earth, Sea and Sky, we unite and come together against all odds to confront the future. In our hearts, we hold the values of the Triangle; of Justice, Love and Faith, and we will never steer from our cause. As the New Year arrives, we call to the Gods to give us fertility and strength against darkness, and always to keep the light in our hearts. May you all be blessed with the powers of Nature; may the elements aid us in our cause, and lastly, may everyone here heed my words and the words of the Gods. They speak to us every day, always, through actions and thought, and they alone will guide us.”
  A cheer sprang up through the crowd; a deafening cheer, that rose to a chant of goodwill to the King. Prince Fredrik took the burning branch of a tree from the hands of a Royal Guard, and flung it atop the pile of rubbish. In an instant, flame began to spread across the heap, and leapt like a signal up to the Heavens; a burning flame, the fire uniting Earth, Sea and Sky. It cried to the Gods in a cry just as loud as the chant rising from the Renalan people. Now the Gods must certainly see and hear their faith in them, and the plea to bring peace and happiness to the land of Meridisia.
  So close to the fire, Adrianna’s eyes were watering from the heat, but emotions were also springing up inside her. Suddenly she felt like a strong, powerful woman, and the brightness of the flames before her became a brightness of her soul. It was as if the fire in front of her took the form of a figure; a woman with white robes, the white of the hot fire, licking her body. The figure called to Adrianna, and she felt a glow within her like she had never felt before. It spread, giving her hope and courage and strength, and at that moment, she believed that anything was possible.
  The fire drowned out the light of the stars that were beginning to dot the heavens, and the junk continued to burn like it would forever. Adrianna did not know how long they all just stood for; but it must have been a long time. Perhaps they were all feeling the exhilaration she felt, of feeling as if they were themselves in touch with the Gods. The flames continued to burn, and as the minutes stretched out, slowly the crowd broke from their silent trance around the fire.
  Cries of joy leapt up, and minstrels and bards began playing and singing. Men and women alike began dancing about the fire; the noble and the poor. Adrianna smiled and squeezed Cain’s hand, and he looked fondly over at her. This was a night when everyone was equal, and inhibitions could be forgotten. This was a night to celebrate.
  Cain drew Adrianna close to him and then spun her out in a twirl. Their feet beat against the ground to the rhythm that the minstrels were drumming out, and Adrianna’s skirts flung about her. Oh! How glad she was now, that she had decided to dress as such, and that tonight she could forget her ways of deception. She would face the consequences later; if there were any, for those that would suspect she was a storyteller.
  Amidst the twirling couples and the singing bards, Adrianna caught glimpses of her King and Prince. They, like all else, were forgetting their rank in the city; they were joining in with the life and substance of those they ruled.
  The men and women of the court were gathered in a tight cluster around King Melchior and Prince Fredrik, and it was hard for Adrianna to catch glimpses of them. Yet she and Cain were amongst the dancers closer to the bonfire and the ring of dirt that surrounded it. Although King and Prince were joining in with the merriment of the citizens, there was still the ring of dirt that separated them.
  Music and heat filled the air, along with the noise and cheering of Linuina’s people. Bodies pressed against each other; perfumes of the rich mingled with the sweaty scents of the poor, while rowdy bursts of song from drunken groups contrasted sharply with the pure voices of the bards.
  After hours, Adrianna had lost all sense of time. She was beginning to feel slightly dizzy after the noise and excitement of the day, and all her inhibitions had left her. She no longer cared about the future; she was just living in the spirit of the moment. This could be the last Midsummer celebration for a long time, or it could be the first in a whole chain of unbroken festivities year after year. No one knew the ways of the Henalas, or when they would attack again.
  As the night of dancing and celebration wore on, the bonfire began to dim and the heat to subside. Adrianna laughed more and more freely, and she forgot where she now was. She spun and danced with Cain and his friends who had joined the two, and then she met His pure blue eyes right in front of her.
  The Prince gave a charming smile and took her hands. Adrianna felt her heart thudding in her chest and she looked around her. She realised that in her merriment she had slipped inside the circle of dirt, and now found herself amidst those of the royal party.
  Adrianna’s words could barely escape her throat; she was mingled with feelings of awe and fear. “Your Highness, I am so… sorry. I forget my place.” She tried to twist away and slip back into the crowd where Cain would be, but the Prince had already begun twirling her. Her head was spinning already, and she was giddy with all the noise, scents and heat of the night.
  “Your place is here,” the Prince replied with a grin. His perfect white teeth shone in the light of the bonfire, and his blue eyes twinkled. “And mine with you; there is nothing separating us tonight.”
  Adrianna knew that he was referring to the rich and the poor; him representing the highest rank in the city, and she the lowest. As they danced, Adrianna fumbled the steps; anxious about what impression she would give the Prince.
  “Don’t be shy,” he murmured, and pulled her away from where several ladies of the court were gathering and staring at them strangely. “It is more interesting getting to know the citizens of the poor village whom I don’t interact with. The women of the court do get quite boring, you know.”
  Despite herself, Adrianna laughed, and she began to feel more at ease. She danced some more with the Prince, and then they soon fell to the ground in a heap from the exhaustion of the night. The bonfire was dimming yet more, and now the music and dancing slowed down. Individual storytellers and musicians from the court began taking their turns by the bonfire to entertain those nearest; and smaller groups amidst the crowd began to form.
  Someone descended beside Adrianna, and she looked over to see Cain. He nudged her, “Why don’t ye come and tell a story?”
  She laughed and looked shyly to the ground, and as she bent her head, Cain saw the man to the other side of her. He gasped as he saw his very own prince lounging there on the ground, by Adrianna’s side.
  “Your Highness...” Cain muttered, but the Prince waved the formalities away with a gesture.
  “Please; I am one of you tonight. Now… my Lady, what did you say your name was?”
  Adrianna bit her lip, for she did not feel like lying to the prince, but nevertheless the words came quickly out of her mouth, “Adrianna; it’s Adrianna Your Highness.”
  The Prince nodded, “Well, would you oblige us with a story; if that is what you do?”
  Adrianna looked away shyly, but she felt she had to do as the Prince asked. She nodded slowly; immediately regretting it, for Prince Fredrik jumped up eagerly and led her over to where his father sat on some cushions brought by the Royal Guards. Men and women of the court surrounded him, and Adrianna shifted uncomfortably as their gazes turned her way suspiciously.
  “Father; may this young lady tell a story for us on this Midsummer’s Night?”
  King Melchior looked up and his eyes wandered over her from head to toe. They seemed to go misty as if with some distant memory, but then that look was gone and he was merely peering at her inquisitively.
  “What did you say your name was?”
  “Adrianna Your Majesty,” she whispered, uneasy to again be telling someone of his status a lie. But she had already stated her name as Adrianna to Prince Fredrik, and after tonight they wouldn’t know her anymore; so what did it matter?
  King Melchior seemed to brush away a thought, and then he nodded in her direction. “Very well; this ballad has just finished so the stage is yours.” He smiled, in a way a father would to his young daughter, and Adrianna’s spirits lit up. How lucky she was! How lucky Renala was to have such a leader in these times; who risked coming to meet his people, despite the Henalas spies and the dangers. Here was a King who would do anything for his country and world, and the citizens who inhabited his empire.
  The minstrel playing for the gathering of nobles and people of the court finished his ballad, which was a celebration to all new things, and Adrianna felt her blood pumping as the Prince gestured for her to rise and tell a story. She was breathing heavily to calm her nerves; searching her memory for a story that she believed fit to tell on this wondrous night.
  Then the image she had seen before in the flames of the bonfire filled her mind; she saw the white-robed woman that had so filled her with hope and strength, and she knew that tonight was the time to tell the story of that magnificent, godly woman. Perhaps if, through her delicately woven words, Adrianna could bring her story to life, she could summon the White Woman from her sleep. Then she would rise and help the Meridisians; as it was the will of the Gods, and Adrianna knew she would have fulfilled her duty to her people. She would have made her father and mother proud; who were even now looking down from the stars above in the Sky Kingdom.
  Adrianna cast her gaze around the small assembly, gathered by the bonfire. Similar groups were scattered all through the valley, where smaller bonfires had been lit, and friends and family were celebrating together. She saw Cain lurking in the shadows nearby, gazing at her, and waiting expectantly for her story.
  Clearing her throat and brushing away the nervousness that kept creeping up in her, Adrianna finally summoned the courage to look at King Melchior and introduce her story.
  Her voice rose up and filled the awkward silence that had fallen around the company, as the group waited in anticipation for her to begin. Slowly, she gained confidence, until her voice was weaving magic about her listeners as it so often did.

  “I shall tell you about the ancient history of Meridisia. It is a story from long ago about life and death, a story that is a myth as of today but one that we should all know of. For this tale tells of the foundations of our planet, of where we came from and who our ancestors are. It shall give us faith, for story or no, we can understand that there is a star shining in the heavens, guiding us on our way.
  “Long ago when the universe was young and our earth was just a lump of infertile rock, the Gods looked down from high in their heavenly abode. They sought to make a creation – to give life to this planet and then pass on their wisdom and knowledge.
  “In order for them to bring fertility to our barren land, they had to create us with an equal balance so we could understand all and be able to accept different perceptions. Thus, the Gods wove their lore through the land and everything contributed to the coming of their Great Race.
  “Striving for perfection, the Gods worked for eons although to them time had no meaning, but at last they had completed their work and looked down to behold their creation. What the Gods saw was a beautiful planet of rising hills and sweeping plains, glistening and majestic mountain peaks and wide oceans. Rivers of crystal blue water snaked through the lands to let out with gushes into roaring waterfalls. The sky was untainted and a crisp fresh colour, the land a joyous reflection of all their work. In the tropical regions of the south were jungles teeming with life. Powerful deserts streaked the land, binding all within their heat yet still carrying the same abundance of life as lush rainforests. Hidden mysteries floated beneath the sea depths and lay engraved in solid, earth-binding rock.
  “The Gods had put such love and dedication into their work that their world echoed with bounty and happiness and so they named her Meridisia, meaning exactly all that she was. Now they decided it was time to create people, a race that would reflect themselves and care for what they had created. A race that combined would always stand in unity against any threats thrown at them.
  “The first humans that came into being were four young children of the Gods who descended to earth. Two went to the realms of the sea to seek its glorious treasures while the other two began to make an empire on the land and learn its rocklike secrets. The sons and daughters of each pair then became the two Great Races of Water and Earth or Sea and Rock.
  “The reason the Gods had created two paths was so that each could learn a certain aspect of life and combine to form the ultimate triangle of balance. They considered themselves the Sky as that was where their Heavenly Empire lay, and so the race they had created then formed the Underwater Realms and the Rock Kingdoms, binding them all in loyalty and service to the Earth. Such a bond was so strong and ensured that they would unite in difficult times and never war against each other, knowing both were equally matched in different areas and it would result in nothing.
  “And so that is how the people lived. Two great empires stretched out on Meridisia and all was bliss with splendour prevailing throughout the land. With time the two lost contact with each other, but that did not matter. The Gods had already set out the destiny of the land and had their own purposes that none ever questioned.
  “Furthermore, the main Rock Kingdom split into smaller nations of family groups choosing to follow their own destinies and that is known to this day as the Dividing Era – the forming of different empires on land. But alas, that is yet another tale and we shall return to the time when the Sea and Rock Empires separated.
  “With their parting, prophecies of many wise men and women came to light. Tales stated that there would come a time when the whole of Meridisia would unite as one to bring balance to the universe. At the time, no one understood what such a thing meant, and little attention was paid.
  “Today we know the master prophecy in the form of the White Woman, she who is wise and holds the blue-green stone of knowledge and learning.
  “My tale now continues to tell you of her. The White Woman was the daughter of a Sea woman and an Earthman. In those times, blood did not mix between the two empires and her parents kept her identity a secret lest some think of her as a witch due to her strange talents.
  “The White Woman soon wandered into the wilderness and lived by herself amongst nature. Accidentally, she uncovered the lore the Gods had written into the earth, not realising it was too soon.
  “The Gods had not planned such a thing. The heart of Meridisia was to be unlocked at the time of the planet’s great need, not now when Earth flourished and was still full of bountiful fruit.
  “So the Gods put the White Woman to sleep. She disappeared from the face of the earth, and no one ever heard of her again. But to this day, the White Woman still sleeps. She waits for the moment to reveal her identity and the ancient lore of the land. Now is the time when Meridisia is nearing that age. We know there is someone waiting to aid us, to lead us back to our wonderful past and keep Meridisia like that.
  “When the White Woman awakens she shall bring together the Sea and Rock Empires once more and with her blood shall seal us together in unity.
  “Ever since the Henalas came across the icy Northern Sea and invaded our land, conquering the small, weak kingdoms of Northern Meleka and building their capital Blorak out of the ashes of our wounded land. Ever since they began wreaking havoc upon our world, the White Woman has been stirring in anger at how Meridisia has been treated. But the Gods have held her back, for they are wiser. Only when they give her the signal will she rise and pass on to us the Lore of Meridisia; for if that time comes too soon it will all be for nothing.
  “We have not conquered the Henalas yet – their attacks have merely abided for the time. Perhaps they have ceased forever, but we cannot be certain. If, or when, war does return to plague Renala, and our fair city of Linuina threatens to fall, never fear. For help shall be on its way as long as we hope, and remember that faith is the key to life; if we despair then we are simply becoming our enemy. But if we continue to love and to cherish our friends and land and then we shall emerge victorious despite all.”

2. A Stranger Comes:

For more, please contact me. I'd love any feedback!
© Copyright 2009 Caramella (goldthca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1524342-Book-1-Visions-from-the-Past-Chapter-1