*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525501-Thumbs-Malone
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1525501
Video games drive a man insane. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must be about someone who loves playing video games.

Thumbs Malone

The class gathered around the viewing window to get a look at their subject. The one-way glass appeared as a mirror to the unsuspecting man on the far side. He was as naked as the padded walls surrounding him. The group talked in whispers as if the man on the other side could hear them through the thick glass/mirror.

No way.

He only heard what his mind allowed him to hear which, more often than not, had nothing to do with reality. At that moment, he was hearing the rapid staccato blasts of machinegun fire along with occasional distant explosions.

His eyes were wide with excitement and he was laughing in a halting, hysterical manner. He was also sporting a fine erection.

“As you can see,” the teacher began, “our subject has completely detached from the real world and now lives full time in the repeated scenarios of past video games.”

One of the students peered in to get a closer look. His face lit up suddenly as he said, “I know who that is! That’s Thumbs Malone! He was three time world champion at the International Video Competition. That guy is a legend. How did he end up here?”

The class had a hard time tearing their attention away from the spectacle in front of them; a clearing of the teacher’s throat brought them around.

“About two years ago, after playing Grand Theft Auto for twenty-four hours straight, he left his house and started driving over people. When they caught up to him, he was fumbling in the air with his hands. He later told the police he was pulling a bazooka out of his inventory. He’s been here every since.”

Thumbs Malone cocked his head to the side. He could hear the enemy sneaking around behind a bush.

Word Count 300


© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1525501-Thumbs-Malone